Rare Gold GTS Coupe Value

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently come upon a very rare 1/18th scale, gold plated gts coupe replica...It is in a leather box with a crushed velour interior. The car and box is in mint condition and it weighs a friggin' ton. I understand that only about 150 of these were made and they were given to Dodge executives when the GTS Coupe first came out. What would you guess this collectible is worth?:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed, they are posted on eBay every once in a while (as well as platinum, etc.). They are usually located in Europe.

I am going to move this post on over to the Memorabilia & Collectibles Forum (link should appear above). Check it out!

Chris

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...

I've checked ebay, and I did find a 1/18th scale gold plated GTS Coupe, but it is different from what I have.

The one on ebay is produced by Maisto and has Maisto in big bold letters on the box. Mine does not...

The Maisto version is all gold...including the engine...
Mine has a color correct engine.

Mine is in an alligator box with crushed velour inside.
It also has a Viper Logo on the top lid.

Matt

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
First off....I have to thank BORIS for moving this topic to this section where it belongs....
Matt..I believe that you have one of the very rare GWILO Int'l vipers there.....It is indeed worth more than the usual Maisto and Bburago Gold coloured vipers..
Does it have a cetificate of Authenticity?? (That certainly could have gotten lost...) The following may help...it is a conversation I had with the guy who made these cars.....

> >
> > Hi Maureen, thanks for the enquiry. Here is a brief history of the Gold Viper.
> > I built various models for GWILO prior to their bankruptcy in 1997. When they
> > went bust, I bought back all of the stock.
> > In June 1996, I was asked to build 400 Gold Viper models for JC Penney in
> > America. They were a limited edition, wood mounted and boxed in black
> > snakeskin. The components were bought unpainted and unassembled direct from
> > Maisto. In August, JCP reduced their order to 240 units. I had already built
> > 385 units. The 240 went to JCP and the balance went into GWILO's warehouse
> > until I bought back the stock from the liquidator.
> > The original model sold for around £95.00 plus postage. I have sold the
> > remainder at £39.00 each just to recoup some of my losses. It could be one of
> > these that you have been offered.

Does this answer your question Matt?

MAUREEN
> >
> >
>

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipernut,

That sounds like my Viper model...
I do have the certificate...it's still in an unopened envelope!
Everything is perfect as can be.

What do you think it's worth?

Matt

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's SO hard to know what it's worth Matt....You can see that it ORIGINALLY sold for about $200....then SOME got sold for about a third of THAT!! It just depends on (now) if there's a collector (out there) who REALLY REALLY wants/needs it to fill their collection.
It's DEFINITELY a very important piece!! If you're a collector and you only have one-KEEP IT!! it doesn't matter what it's worh!!
Did you open the envelope to see what number yours is??!!
And glad to have been of help....Do you have any other special vipers??

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't opened the envelope...I've just put it up to the light to see the certificate inside. The car is exactly as it was when purchased with all plastic binders and such still intact.

Thank you so much for your help!

Also, no other Vipers...that's the only special one in my collection.

Matt