Rb1 Navigation System For Dirt Cheap

OP
OP
M

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it will. At worst case scenario you will need a kit but i am getting it put in next week and i will post how it all went but you can investigate more in the mean time.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That DOES look like a handy compact unit.

Let us know about the rest of the hardware necessary and where they mount it. Maybe it doesn't need much, but I put an Alpine unit plus a satellite security unit in my C5 when I got it and they needed two transmitter/receivers for the GPS unit in the trunk area which I put under the carpeting and I slapped a flat patch antenna behind the sun strip inside the top corner of the windshield. Not really complicated, but are you having Dodge do the install or do you have a local car electronics shop set to do it?

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out the special notes...

Notes: PT Cruiser, Sedan only; Sebring, not for Coupes. For vehicles with CD Changer controls. Sirius satellite radio capable.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yesterday the dealer tried to beat me for $1800 plus 2 hours labor to install...lol

i didnt go for it though.....

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys that is odd. I purchased mine brand new on ebay for $600.

Seems very strange to me that there are identical pictures, discriptions and identical RB1s and two extremely different prices. Something smells fishy here.

Also the radio is a snap to install. I would not bother with your dealer or anyone else. I installed mine with the ipod kit and some hand tools. The radio alone will take 15 minutes to install from beginning to end. It is plug and play so dont fall for any of that installation crap.

OP
OP
M

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is correct i am going to install it myself and will let everyone know how it goes. Listen gang i am not forcing anyone to purchase this unit just saying check it out if interested buy it if not than don't. Also there is a phone number on the site and you can contact them if you feel that the whole thing is fishy. But anyway i will update this site next week when i am done with all the work.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.moparpartszone.com/MC-JGD-FFA.aspx

Why is it different part #s on same site

I was looking at purchasing a RB1 recently... the lettering after the part number was about the series of the Nav disk...

I think the ending of AB is the older nav disk from 2003 or 2004.
AF seems to be the current nav disk...
If there is no lettering after the part number then it is for the head unit only.

I'm going with the Pioneer AVIC Z2 unit, instead, after seeing one posted here.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was looking at purchasing a RB1 recently... the lettering after the part number was about the series of the Nav disk...

I think the ending of AB is the older nav disk from 2003 or 2004.
AF seems to be the current nav disk...
If there is no lettering after the part number then it is for the head unit only.

I'm going with the Pioneer AVIC Z2 unit, instead, after seeing one posted here.

If thats the case, it may not be a great deal. Ive heard new discs that usually update yearly are $300 plus. And in a area like mine, freeways and roads get changed all the time. A disc from 2004 would be worhtless.

OP
OP
M

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well good news for if that is all you are worried about no need to worry. I am a computer guy and i can get latest maps if necessary. Also i will let you know if the software on the NAV is updated or needs to be. Like i said before let me put the bad boy in and i will give all details.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If thats the case, it may not be a great deal. Ive heard new discs that usually update yearly are $300 plus. And in a area like mine, freeways and roads get changed all the time. A disc from 2004 would be worhtless.

Pricing on the Chrysler disks are not too bad... There is a 2006 disk on E bay right now for $155, the auction says SRP $199...

I just got the upgrade for my Lexus... That disk was over $300 + labor and doesn't work right half the time :( Lexus has the worst Nav unit I've ever used.

I've heard the RB1 works well and is easy to use. The only reason I'm going with the Pioneer over the RB1, is for the XM traffic & congestion reporting.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Subscribing, really excited to see how this turns out! I have my eyes out for a RB1 for quite some time now.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought one the other day of ebay, if not new it looks brand new with plastic on the screen. It came with the antenna and the nav disk....all that for 500.00

I just had to buy it. Now its sitting next to me waiting to be installed....

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are easy to install yourself. No need to go to a dealer or electronics shop.

I put the RB1 into my Ram, installed the Mopar Sirius unit, and the Mopar Sirius roof antenna. The RB1 head unit took about 10 minutes or less, the rest took me maybe an hour.

"TURN LEFT AHEAD..."

Pricing on the Chrysler disks are not too bad... There is a 2006 disk on E bay right now for $155, the auction says SRP $199...

I just got the upgrade for my Lexus... That disk was over $300 + labor and doesn't work right half the time :( Lexus has the worst Nav unit I've ever used.

I've heard the RB1 works well and is easy to use. The only reason I'm going with the Pioneer over the RB1, is for the XM traffic & congestion reporting.

Siruis has traffic channels too. Check and see if they cover your city.

OP
OP
M

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All here is the update on this thread. Fortunately for me my cousin just bought a used Dodge Ram 1500 and he has offered me $900 bucks even after i told him what i paid for it. so i gotta sell it to him and i am going to look into the another system.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes there is an ipod intergration kit for the RB1. Works great. See Viperspecialtyperformance.com.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So you paid $640 for an Rb1 Nav unit sans current map disks and sold it to your cousin for $900.:omg:
Y'all must be the best of friends.:D

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All here is the update on this thread. Fortunately for me my cousin just bought a used Dodge Ram 1500 and he has offered me $900 bucks even after i told him what i paid for it. so i gotta sell it to him and i am going to look into the another system.

got anything else you can sell him? lol

Last edited:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes there is an ipod intergration kit for the RB1. Works great. See Viperspecialtyperformance.com.

Interesting. I couldn't care less about navigation, but I seemed to recall reading that ipod integration required the RB1 radio. But per that link, it appears one can do it with the stock radio as well, i.e., no need to get the RB1 unless navigation is desired.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Works with both. I love mine. If you plan on on doing the RB1 i would highly recommend it.

OP
OP
M

Mamba55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the latest for you all. First off all i told my cousin how much i paid for it and still insisted on paying me more i mean what the heck i couldn't say no than. I also started looking at other NAVI systems with DVD so i am going to hold off on another purchase of an RB1 unit and will let you all know which route i am taking and see if i can find a good bargain on other products.

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after starting my own thread, I finally found this one I was looking for.
Did anyone ever order this RB1, get it and install it in their Viper?