RB1 Upgrade

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading the stock 6-disc changer to the RB1 NAV unit. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, where do some of you with the RB1 mount the GPS antennae? I don't want to really alter the looks of the car.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading the stock 6-disc changer to the RB1 NAV unit. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, where do some of you with the RB1 mount the GPS antennae? I don't want to really alter the looks of the car.

I havent done this mod yet, but I bleiev it goes in behind dash , right on top of radio. It still pulls in a strong signal, so the Nav works fine, no ugly wires or antenna to be seen.

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering about...I don't want any annoying "bubbles" on the car. Anyone out there have it that can elaborate?

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the RB1 and stuck the antenna right on top of it, underneath the center vents. It receives the satellites just fine, no need to install it anywhere else.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup right on top and a breeze to install.

I installed the RB1 and stuck the antenna right on top of it, underneath the center vents. It receives the satellites just fine, no need to install it anywhere else.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick it right on top of the stereo. Just make sure there is nothing metal above it. The antenna mounts with double stick tape.

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be ordering one this weekend! Any special wiring harness, or does it work with the factory wires already there?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick a Sirius unit in there while you are at it, there is room for that too. But be aware with this change you will now only have single CD disc capability and if the Nav Disc is in no CD ability. You would really be well advised to keep your 6CD capability and add a good aftermarket Garminr equivalent. The RB1 really is several generations back in Nav ability. Not a very good unit.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick a Sirius unit in there while you are at it, there is room for that too. But be aware with this change you will now only have single CD disc capability and if the Nav Disc is in no CD ability. You would really be well advised to keep your 6CD capability and add a good aftermarket Garminr equivalent. The RB1 really is several generations back in Nav ability. Not a very good unit.

With an iPod adapter the CD becomes obsolete. My iPod has 1600 songs.

For nav., I just use point A to point B so some of the super-trick functions of the new unit are great, but not ones I would use. The aftermarket portable units are very nice and portable, but you do have something sucking up to your windshield or dash... .

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid the clutter. I noticed the RB1 also has Sirius/XM capability...and since I have XM in my day driver, I'll probably go with that and the iPod adapter (which does make the cd pointless). I just need something to get me from A to B since it's hard to read mapquest with the top down! My Acura has all the fancy NAV stuff and I hardly use it.

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does the iPod kit allow you to control the iPod through the headunit? Or do you need to control it through the iPod itself and this just transfers the audio via the cable?

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW...anyone know of a good deal on an RB1? I've seen a few on ebay that look good, but not sure. Would prefer to buy from a VCA member as I know how they care for their stuff.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does the iPod kit allow you to control the iPod through the headunit? Or do you need to control it through the iPod itself and this just transfers the audio via the cable?

It does control the iPod, but be advised that the user interface is not as sophisticated as the iPod...

As an example, if you do a search by Artist: Unlike the iPod that gives you: Artist->All Albums by this Artist->All Songs on the selected Album, the RB1 will only give you: Artist->All Songs from the Artist (no album "menu"). So the additional "Album" layer is missing.

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the info...think I can live with that. The kit in my Acura will only transfer the sound, does not allow you to control the iPod, that's what I was worried about.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, and I have owned an RB1 and even recommended my Dad get one for his 05 Viper...

I dont like them anymore. Once you see where technology is today with Navi's. Like the Chrylser Mygigs Navi, you will think the RB1 is caveman technology.

I sold mine, and I fully plan on getting a Pioneer Premier Navi when it comes out in 2.5 weeks.

Jon

OP
OP
A

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the one in my Acura (which was stock), and I want the same look in the Viper. I'm not worried about the features as long as it gets me from A to B. I have a friend who works for a dealer, seeing if they can get it at cost, so if it's a disappointment, I'm not so worried.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted in my other post, I just added the RB1 and iPod adapter to my '08--awesome!

Dan at Viper Specialty Performance supplied both units.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, and I have owned an RB1 and even recommended my Dad get one for his 05 Viper...

I dont like them anymore. Once you see where technology is today with Navi's. Like the Chrylser Mygigs Navi, you will think the RB1 is caveman technology.

I sold mine, and I fully plan on getting a Pioneer Premier Navi when it comes out in 2.5 weeks.

Jon

What new Pioneer Premier Navi are you talking about, I was thinking about getting a N4

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its that new new one, thats not even out yet. Its a Premier Pioneer, and its the first NAVI under the Premier Name (they have the lower end ones coming out for Regular Pioneer). But its AVIC F... something.. I cant remember the rest of the model numbers. I have the paperwork in the office. Its completely voice operated for ipod, navi, radio, dvd, sirus... etc...

Its the newest replacement for the AVIC- Z3 and costs about 1/2 as much as the z3 did new. So thats why you'll notice all Z3s (their old top of the line unit) is getting blown out with huge rebates. They are trying to get rid of old stock before releasing the new one.

Jon