Rd.2: SRT Viper GTS-R's @ Road Atlanta

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rd.2: SRT Viper GTS-R's @ Road America

Just got this in on Twitter. Rather surprised actually, I thought the cars would have a better time on a flat near straight track with the torque kicking in off the corners, what gives?

'@TeamSRT: P. Long (No. 45 Porsche) fastest in GT practice with a 2:05.726 lap. Wittmer/Farnbacher had a 2:09.170; Goossens/Kendall a 2:10.038 #ALMS'

--RS

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh jeez, can anyone rename the thread title? I just realized I got Road America and Road Atlanta mixed up again! LMAO

--RS

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up! times aren't great but ALMS will hopefully give some relief on the restrictors soon.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch. Thats nowhere near competitive. Hopefully by the end of the season they will be competitive with at least the mid pack cars.....It could take them to whole of next year before they may be competitive. The handicaps are really making it hard for it to compete.

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll enjoy watching the cars on track. Would probably see alot more of them if they were being competitive.

Can ALMS change the restricitions at any time? How long will it take or is it a matter of SRT greasing someone? J/K

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a paid stream where the one from the previous race was free.. will try it if no other alternative.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, the reason new cars join towards the end of the series is so they can get their setups figured out and fix any issues. They are not here to win anything. I think this is still work in progress. The real deal will be next year.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Road America not Road Atlanta. The Wisconsin folks are not going to be happy with you.;)

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2012/0...-tweaks-prior-to-contest-at-road-america.html

"The SRT Motorsports started on-track preparations for the second event in its return to American Le Mans Series competition, running both SRT Viper GTS-Rs in a two-hour test session today at Road America.

Both the #91 Forza Motorsports SRT Viper of Dominik Farnbacher and Kuno Wittmer and the #93 Pennzoil Ultra SRT Viper of Tommy Kendall and Marc Goosens ran a full-two hour session on the 4.048-mile Road America layout, gathering valuable data as they prepare for tomorrow's qualifying.

"We ran a lot of laps today and we weren't quite where we wanted to be setup-wise," said Riley Technologies co-founder Bill Riley. "But all the drivers got through the cars, the car held up well and we got a lot of work done."

Today's testing run showed SRT Motorsports that it needed to focus on finding speed – a characteristic that while not unique in racing – is especially vital at the interminable Elkhart Lake circuit where races are won and lost on its high-speed sections.

"I think we're lacking a little bit on straight-line speed and we need to reduce some more drag," said SRT Motorsports Road Racing Manager Gary Johnson. "Road America is a track with a bunch of long straights and if you are off a little bit in that area, you are going to fall behind. But while we're working on our setup and looking for some things, we have a lot of good things going on as well. The engine ran great, the brakes were phenomenal and we think that we are getting better every time we go out."So in its search for a solution, the team is going back to the database it compiled over hundreds of miles of testing leading up to its 2012 debut two weeks ago at Mid-Ohio.

"We're just a little off. We're making some big changes tonight that should really help us," reported Riley. "We found some changes in a similar situation in a test at VIR that made a difference and we expect that it will do the same here. We are working very hard to make the changes overnight so we will be ready for the morning."In addition to its search for speed on the track, the SRT Motorsports team worked ******* cutting time on pit lane. Both the 91 and the 93 teams turned in a number of practice pit stops as both squads searched for ways to save vital seconds during mandatory fuel stops and driver changes.

"We spent a lot of time practicing pit stops and driver changes and that went really well," reported Johnson. "This team is new to us, but is very experienced. The guys know what they need to do, now it is all about choreography, making sure they can get their jobs done without stepping on each other. A lot of these guys have a lot of sportscar experience in the Grand-Am series and know what it takes to get the job done."

IMO, Riley always builds high down force cars. That usually pays off in overall lap times but on some tracks you've got to have the top speed. By the way. it's always easier to take off some down force when you need top speed than it is to add some down force when you need cornering.:2tu:

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as the cars are being tweeked, then I'm okay. I was just a tad surprised that they were nearly a whole 5 seconds off the leader and it's great for Patrick, he's a good driver but that's quite a big chunk of time that's lost on the track. You figure...a 21-22 lap run under green, caution free around that track the Vipers could be a lap down. :/

--RS

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, the reason new cars join towards the end of the series is so they can get their setups figured out and fix any issues. They are not here to win anything. I think this is still work in progress. The real deal will be next year.

Exactly. It's been a long time since viper was involved in racing at this level.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vipers are 11th & 12th in a field of 13 GT cars. They are 4.141 and 5.194 seconds off the pole time. Need more tweeking.:headbang:

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the race now. Both cars have damage :(

Spoke with tommy, he says he went a little wide on turn 3 and caught a bump that broke something in the rear suspension. That caused him to come across and bash the inside wall. I have pics tomorrow, but both rear and front right hand side does not look well. "already, the only thing this team fantasize about is sleep", says Tommy.

#91 looks like it has some mostly cosmetic in front right. It's taped up and still on track now. Final minutes!!!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the race now. Both cars have damage :(

Spoke with tommy, he says he went a little wide on turn 3 and caught a bump that broke something in the rear suspension. That caused him to come across and bash the inside wall. I have pics tomorrow, but both rear and front right hand side does not look well. "already, the only thing this team fantasize about is sleep", says Tommy.

#91 looks like it has some mostly cosmetic in front right. It's taped up and still on track now. Final minutes!!!

I thought something like that was what happened because at first it looked perfectly recoverable with both feet in for a short bit.. curious what exactly broke down.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper engine is being restricted just as all other competitor’s engines are. ALMS has extrapolated the restrictor size to the displacement of the V10 beyond what the V8s have. They had no pre-defined restrictor size set for this engine displacement with the current formula. The restrictors are incredibly small for these cars – even by road car standards.

I would guess the intake restrictors will be adjusted to a larger size soon to yield more power for the Vipers. I suspect this is where much of the lack of straight-line speed is coming from. Currently the V10 engines are being choked; probably more so than what is ‘fair’. The series will reassess the performance and adjust if they see fit.

All of the above said, they still have much catching up to do as compared to the seasoned teams out there.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they will do that eventually but honestly cant see them doing it.

The Viper engine is being restricted just as all other competitor’s engines are. ALMS has extrapolated the restrictor size to the displacement of the V10 beyond what the V8s have. They had no pre-defined restrictor size set for this engine displacement with the current formula. The restrictors are incredibly small for these cars – even by road car standards.

I would guess the intake restrictors will be adjusted to a larger size soon to yield more power for the Vipers. I suspect this is where much of the lack of straight-line speed is coming from. Currently the V10 engines are being choked; probably more so than what is ‘fair’. The series will reassess the performance and adjust if they see fit.

All of the above said, they still have much catching up to do as compared to the seasoned teams out there.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t care either way really but ALMS have the ability to adjust the restrictors mid-season to maintain a “competitive environment”. The Porsche teams recently had a restrictor size change:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/sports/236012-236012-all.html

“Porsche has updated its 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR with a larger front splitter and rear wing. Coupled with a larger restrictor allowed by ALMS, the new car promises to be on par with the competition after struggling for the first two races.”

Some (teams and officials) believe teams ‘sandbag’ to give the perception of lack of performance but use it when it is needed to win the race. The restrictor plate rule isn’t perfect but the idea is to have a tool to equalize the competition which is in the interest of the series. This is why I think they will update if they determine it is undersized.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I heard somewhere that ALMS is re-vamping the rules for next year to go more towards an energy consumption per lap, instead of a power cap.

Anyone else remember that or am I accidentally falsifying information again?

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes – now they restrict air, they are looking to restrict energy (fuel). This might be in the way of fuel flow restriction (same as an air restrictor) or they may just restrict the total fuel given to the teams for the weekend. This may not apply to the GT class though, perhaps only LMP1. It is all up in the air right now.