Re-Painting Valve Covers - how to ?

Longnecker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a bone stock 95 yellow gen 1 with 114,000 miles on it and the red paint is pealing / blistering off the valve covers. Does anyone have a few tips on how to repaint?

Where to find the paint?
Prep?
How to get the Viper Logo back after painting?

Thanks,

Longnecker

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Click on marketplace and look up Alan's performance. They're based in Georgia and do a fantastic job powder coating, great CS too. Any color combo you want. Just got mine back last week couldn't be happier.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had so so results from powder coating. It's very difficult to do it smoothly. The Magnesium out gasses so wrinkles and bubbles are very difficult to prevent. If I was to do it over again I'd paint them.

And mine was done by Alan's. TRG did my intake.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out-gassing can be minimized by preheating the substrate so the gas is already expelled. But as you state, it is still hit and miss.
Especially with wrinkle finishes since they cure fromt he outside in. My coater has three powders that are especially for cast materials that outgas that help a lot, but you only get smooth black, smooth white, and smooth industrial beige. I went with wrinkle in a dark grey and the few imperfections are hardly noticeable.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
check out the big brain on dave! im starting to notice that your turning into a viper encyclopedia. good going!:2tu:

Out-gassing can be minimized by preheating the substrate so the gas is already expelled. But as you state, it is still hit and miss.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a bone stock 95 yellow gen 1 with 114,000 miles on it and the red paint is pealing / blistering off the valve covers. Does anyone have a few tips on how to repaint?

Where to find the paint?
Prep?
How to get the Viper Logo back after painting?

Thanks,

Longnecker
114k miles, thats impressive!! Have you considered replacing them with the Billet Viper covers? No paint needed and they have the logo embossed on them. Snake Oyl I believe has them or Roe Racing.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
114k miles, thats impressive!! Have you considered replacing them with the Billet Viper covers? No paint needed and they have the logo embossed on them. Snake Oyl I believe has them or Roe Racing.

Great point on the 114K. Impressive for sure. Didn't catch that the first round.

So yeah, I think anyone that hits 100K should get a free billet part(s), courtesy of Dodge.

Wonder what Chuck will want?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I've seen someone post pix of yellow powder ciated valve covers, here is a close up of some red ones....pretty smooth so it certainly can work well. Also, note how the script was stripped off so the powder coat didn't cover up the lettering.

5862Valve_Cover_-_close_up.jpg

Good luck with the project (assuming you can't get Dodge to buck up for a free set)! :)

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a friend (works at powder coaters) do 3 sets for me now and all have come out well. I always prep the covers myself, I strip the old off with industrial paint stripper...I think others might have shot blasted to remove, leaving a slightly scoured surface? I wonder if this lends to getting a perfect smooth finish? Just a thought!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a friend (works at powder coaters) do 3 sets for me now and all have come out well. I always prep the covers myself, I strip the old off with industrial paint stripper...I think others might have shot blasted to remove, leaving a slightly scoured surface? I wonder if this lends to getting a perfect smooth finish? Just a thought!

What color did you do them in? I've always done them in silver and it has not come out smooth. It seems like red is easier to make smooth.

OP
OP
L

Longnecker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

My car is bone stock, so was hoping to find a source for the red paint that matches the intake, a prep that works and a method to bring the logo back.

The logo is not real high where the paint can be easily sanded off with out messing up the body, any suggestions?

I guess I should have cut to the chase on the first go at it. Maybe it is time for the polished aluminum.

Again, thanks for the input.

Longnecker

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i remember correctly that red crinkle powder was made specifically for dodge and isnt avail. but id say to call my buddy russ for more info on it. trgcoatings.com

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness