rear caliper removal...

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 99 GTS..

I have not stuck my head into the wheel area to take a close look but I assume it requires an allen wrench?

If so, what size is used.

Thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need a 15mm socket for one bolt and a 6mm allen head for the other.

Cover the brake pad springs while you tap out the pin, it'll jump far.

You can remove the rotor (after removing the pads) without having to remove the caliper.

The brake piston needs to be rotated (using the two holes in the face.) It will not be pushed in.

You do not need to unbolt the brake arm - simply grab the ball end of the cable and a slight pull will allow you to unhook it. If you must unbolt and re-tighten the arm, hold it with vise grips, since the internal ball bearings have plastic cages that can break when the balls ride up their ramps. Do it in both directions, since the system is left and right-handed depending on side (and I can't remember now which way is against metal stops and which way is against the plastic.)

So, ummm, whatcha doing?

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of adding some bling bling two piece rotors from Baer.

Can't I just remove the two bolts, slide the caliper away from the rotor, remove the stock rotor for the new one and then reinstall the caliper?

Also, I took a look at the rears and wondered what the rubber boot is on the lower caliper bolt.

Thanks for the info.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you don't have to take the caliper off. when you remove the pads, there is enough clearance to get rotor off.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both bolts go through slides and have rubber parts to account for misalignment or to protect the sliding surfaces. Here's a picture from a Lotus Elise service manual (which uses the same rear caliper, but upside down.)

186caliper.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc