Rear(center) Speakers

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are good replacement's, mine have a pop like a blown speaker would have even at low volume. How much is involved in swapping out them? 94 RT.

OP
OP
R

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Stew, I have heard JL was the speaker of choice. I have 2 center rear speakers, Maybe not the same #. I'll get in touch with JL.....

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 94' RT/10 and it came with Sony X-Plods in the center console (the owner before me installed). They were 3-way speakers (mid and tweeter in the middle) but I wanted more of a "subwoofer" look. I installed 3 different speakers that pretty much fit right in, but I did finally go with some JL W6's like rt/10stew mentioned. However, our cars (Gen 1) have smaller holes so the JL did not quite fit. The Gen 1 has a 6" speaker hole and the JLW6 is a 6 1/2" speaker. I did make the JL's fit, but I had to take some pliers and wire cutters to cut around the speaker enclosure to make it fit. But with a little time, it looked NICE! I'm the type of person who doesn't care about keeping something looking "stock", trying to "hold the value" of a vehicle. I prefer to make it look bad ass and when I sell the car... the buyer will like it as well, because it looks better than stock.

See the link below to see the outcome of the JL's in my 94'. The Gen 2's have a single speaker, so thats why it fits in a Gen 2 with no modifications.

p.s... I kept the JL's when I sold my RT/10, so I still have them in their boxes if you want to buy them. They are barely used.

You must be registered for see images attach

[media]http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_21b36db209cd7ee56157bf5c6fa7d6b0.jpg[/media]

aggie2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let the Gen I guys answer which speaker fits best, etc. (since mine's a little different)

However, when you do the swap, it is WELL worth it to put dynomat sound-deadening material on the inside of the plastic rear bulkhead (especially the area around the speakers). It made a night-and-day difference reducing vibration from the sub in my Gen II RT/10.

Also, for any Gen II owners reading this, I used a makeshift gasket on the doorway of center glovebox to keep it quiet, as it is a MAJOR source of sub-induced vibration in the Gen II RT/10's...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang