Rear end conversion...

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who here has done the rear panel conversion to make the vert look like a coupe? I know there are some pics here but I am just interested to see who else has done this? Thanks

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff Lemke AP Engineering maker of the Trunk Top, and Street Serpent(body conversion) site sponsor easily find a like on the site. Also recent thread "Street Serpent #5)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
On my serpent, we did have to build the deck lid to get the right gap. Where the lid meets the bumper was the worst - but in looking at a number of stock SRT's and Coupes - it appears that this gap can be pretty big.

OP
OP
B

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you mean where the lid meets the bumpers vertically on the sides by the lights? I was told I would have to toe in the bumper to meet but I thought that wrong. Once the inner tail light cover is on, the lid then has to be fit from there. Right?

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my serpent, we did have to build the deck lid to get the right gap. Where the lid meets the bumper was the worst - but in looking at a number of stock SRT's and Coupes - it appears that this gap can be pretty big.

Yea,

It's a pretty large gap in stock form (1/2" or more on some cars). We close them up here tighter as well, but not down to 1/8" like the rest of the gaps (see photo below).

For the sides, use the factory type "U SHIMS" at a larger thickness on the quarter panels to bring the gap to the desired width. I'll be showing this in the "Street Sepernt #5" thread soon.

Jeff

ss58.jpg

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
All in all, my back end came together very well. As Jeff mentioned, a number of shims were needed to shore up the gaps on the sides, but they look very good. My body guy used larger washers than the stock bolts to hold everything in place, but he said they were needed to prevent some wrinkling that was happening without them. We will probably paint these the body color so that they are not as noticable. Jeff, I was actually going to mention the gap between the bottom of the deck lid and the bumper - but as always - you are on top of it.

rear_end_11_2.JPG

Yea,

It's a pretty large gap in stock form (1/2" or more on some cars). We close them up here tighter as well, but not down to 1/8" like the rest of the gaps (see photo below).

For the sides, use the factory type "U SHIMS" at a larger thickness on the quarter panels to bring the gap to the desired width. I'll be showing this in the "Street Sepernt #5" thread soon.

Jeff

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2004Fangs