Rear End Recommendations, please!

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, let's see how long it takes before a picture of a lady's butt makes its way in here...

Car is an '01 RT/10 w/ 59K miles.

I took a two hour drive up the coast today, the longest in a long while, and I've noticed that I have a distinct and rather annoying howling coming from under my car. At first I thought it might be the tranny, but its speed dependent, becoming noticeable at about 55mph and getting higher in pitch with speed. After 80 the sound is drowned out by wind and engine noise, so it doesn't bother me anymore...

How can I confirm that this is the rear end causing the sound, what might it be, and what can I do about it?

I was thinking about swapping out my rear gears. Perhaps now would be an opportune time? If so, what ratio do you guys recommend for a car driven mostly as a daily driver with occasional track use, that I hope to one day put a mild supercharger on?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I think the 3.55 is the best overall gear for the Viper. As for checking the noise the dealer may have a scope that can narrow sounds down for you and locate the actual cause. It could be the gears but it will be in every gear and not just on the highway. Is there excessive backlash in the drive line?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good boy... Have a great break ...

As for the rear end i went with the Eaton trutrac after damaging two OE ones...