Rear Gas Tank panel

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I have to change the float in my gas tank. I have drilled out the center of the rivots around the rear panel. What is best way to get seal loose around the panel without cracking it. Any help here will be great.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to remove mine to change the pressure regulator as well. Dang that is some good sealant! Just work your way all around the panel with a 1" wide putty knife. The 1" allows it to be flexible enough yet rigid enough to get through. Once you get all around it will come loose with just a little effort. Make sure you remember to use a sealant when you reinstall. Preferably something that does'nt set up as hard. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i got the panel out, I will post some pics and how to take it out the right way. The mopar book is wrong. Thanks for the tip on the 1inch putty knife. That worked great.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good time to replace the inline fuel filter if you haven't... Also, when you get the pump assembly out, take a pencil eracer and gnetly erase on the contact pads on the float. It will bring the copper pads back to life (making them shiny and gold) and make better contact.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to replace my fuel pump recently on my RT/10. When i reinstalled the rear panel i used blind nuts with phillips head screws. This was the hot set up. It will make it easier if i ever have to get back in there again. It also is much easier than trying to re-rivet everything. After all was done took a little black paint to the screws and now looks factory.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually might put black carpet in and not put the rear spare in. I never use it and just takes up space. I plan on taking the tank out on sat morning and I will take lots of photos. Oh i am changing the float in the tank, that is the reason why I am doing all of this.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually might put black carpet in and not put the rear spare in. I never use it and just takes up space. I plan on taking the tank out on sat morning and I will take lots of photos. Oh i am changing the float in the tank, that is the reason why I am doing all of this.

I used to leave my spare out, but people were telling me that the rear spare is what protects you in a rear end collision. After inspecting the setup and thinking a bit, it does make sense. So I now keep my spare in the car for safety.