Rear Subassembly (muffler delete) vs. Catback Exhaust

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to make my first mod to my Viper and had a few questions. To my understanding, here are the differences between a Rear Subassembly (muffler delete) vs. Catback Exhaust:

Rear Subassembly (RandomTech, SnakeOyl...)
About 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Catback system, Minimal HP gains, bad drone.

Catback Exhaust
Expensive, better HP gains, Corsa system elimates drone.

Any other differences between the two? Are there any legal problems I'll encounter, like if I ever need to get my car smog checked since I'm living in California? Any comments would be appreciated.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both. go for the B&B catback!!
Mike Adams (supplier special section) has great deals on them
they are the best by far!!!
i love mine!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear Subassembly (RandomTech, SnakeOyl...)
About 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Catback system, Minimal HP gains, bad drone.

Catback Exhaust
Expensive, better HP gains, Corsa system elimates drone.

Forgot one. Have your local muffler shop make you one. 3 inch with "X" pipe or "H" and then pic your own tips. About $100 bucks. You have a creampuff like a lot of us. The claims Corsa makes are more noticeable on the pre 2000 cars, so don't expect the 18.7 hp on a 2001. IMO save your dough for the mods that are more beneficial for your year car.

ps - I think Vipermed 97/01 has an "X" pipe with 4.5 inch tips in stock for like $175(I think). Just my opinion.

John

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From another topic on "x" pipes.

"As said earlier,this far back in the system little if no power to be gained or lost,we have tested both true x pipe and merge style and have found little difference in sound either.However there is a significant sound difference with and without the X pipe.We offer the x pipe with 4.5" tips for 175.00 shipped "
--------------------
Elite Motorsports of Tampa Ph:813-294-9886.Toll Free 1-888-Viper MD http://www.vipersbyelite.com
[/url][email protected] GTS Balanced/blueprinted 540 stroker, heads,cam,Roe S.C

Back on topic. What I am saying is if you decide to go with a system, do it for the looks or sound because the performance improvement will be minimal at best on creampuffs.

John

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go with the good "ole" muffler delete by any muffler shop for less than $100 - love mine and no "Viper tax" !

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the good "ole" muffler delete by any muffler shop for less than $100 - love mine and no "Viper tax" !

Agreed. Add a hi flow cat for a little more sound after you get used to the muffler delete. The aftermarket exhaust systems just don't make sense to me.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a perfect fitting OEM appearing solution with OEM tips while saving your stock system for restorability, consider this....

You must be registered for see images

All stainless and OEM mounting hardware with H pipe crossover... Great sound without the Snakeoyl drone.

If interested... [email protected]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog