Recommended Floor Jack and Bottle Jacks?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I confirmd with my dealer's Viper tech that the jacking points on the SRT-10 Viper are the small, metal triangular shaped bumps protruding from the frame of the car, directly behind the front wheels and a little forward of the rear wheels. He said it would be fine using a rolling floor jack or bottle jacks but just to be careful of the bottom painted areas of the side sills enclosing the exhaust.

I have standard 3 1/2 ton floor jack with a metal cup that is about 4 to 5'' in diameter. Can anyone recommend a floor jack brand and model that has good cushioned rubber pad or surface that won't damage the sill area of the Viper? Alternatively, do any of you have any good techniques for "cushioning" the metal cup such as using wood blocks as a buffer between the car and the jack?

Thanks for your help!

/Rich

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts and e-mail replies.

Chuck -- the jack you recommended is rated ror 3,000 pounds. I am assuming that even though the Viper slightly exceeds that weight (slightly under 3,400 lbs.) I would still be within the rating of the jack since at most I would only be lifting one or a maximum of two corners of the car (front two corners or rear two corners) at once with one or two jacks.

Thanks again for the link!

/Rich

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, there is no way you can lift any where near 3,000 # just jacking up a corner of the viper. Even if you picked up one side off the ground, the majority of the weight switches to the lower side.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck --

My standard floor jack would not clear the Viper which only has about 5'' clearance to the jack points. I ordered the jack you recommended which states it has a 3'' profile. Thanks again for the recommendation.

/Rich

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I confirmd with my dealer's Viper tech that the jacking points on the SRT-10 Viper are the small, metal triangular shaped bumps protruding from the frame of the car, directly behind the front wheels and a little forward of the rear wheels. ...
/Rich
And for just changing the wheels or inspecting the brakes, you only need to use the jack point in front of the rear tire. Jack it up enough and it easily lifts both the front and rear tire on that side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine