Reflections on my Viper at the track (for the first time)

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after much debate for the past few months, I ended up purchasing a 1997 GTS coupe. It is a great car, with 17K miles on the chassis and 5K on the engine. It is an LPE engine with just over 500/500 rwhp/ft lbs torque, and has lots of suspension mods, roll bar, harnesses, and Wilwood brakes in the front and rear:

FrQt1.jpg

Side1.jpg

Eng1.jpg

I changed the fluids, replaced a bad front wheel bearing, bled the brakes, and headed to MSR this weekend on street tires:

MSR1.jpg

MSR2.jpg

My best lap was a high 1:27, and I generally ran 1:28-1:29s. Russell Siebert and David Tittle (pictured in the car above), who are much better drivers than me, put down a couple 1:25s. I locked the tires up a few times, and the tires lost most of their grip after a few heat cycles, so it is time for some slicks and light-weight rims. I am also looking forward to retro-fitting the car with ABS. I think I have made a lot of progress already, though. It is MUCH harder to drive a Viper fast than a vette, porsche, or lambo. The phenomenal torque curve of these cars makes it so easy to get the rear end out at a 45 degree angle... I am used to driving a heavy, powerful car (3600 lb 300ZX twin turbo with 400 rwhp), but the Viper is a whole new ballgame. Here is a recent dyno, compared to the dyno just after Lingenfelter rebuilt the engine:

ViperDyno1-1.jpg

The car has some more restrictive mufflers on it now, which accounts for the 30 hp loss. It has plenty of power for me, and it is still incredibly loud.

Needless to say, I love this car, and am looking forward to developing my driving skills (and improving my lap times) at MSR in the near future. My best time ever in my 300zx was a 1:25:42, so I should eclipse that very soon in the snake!

Just wanted to introduce myself, thank all of you for this great forum, and especially thank the members that gave me advice recently about my Viper purchase. Currently, a streetable Viper made the most economic sense for me.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking until I locked up all 4 tires and went straight off the track at Little Bend (the skid marks are impressive)...

Braking without ABS is not an all-or-none phenomenon- I learned that today!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking until I locked up all 4 tires and went straight off the track at Little Bend (the skid marks are impressive)...

Braking without ABS is not an all-or-none phenomenon- I learned that today!

LOL. Hey, it gets expensive but what a thrill huh?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If the street tires aren't squealing in the turns, then you aren't pushing the gas pedal down hard enough! heh heh, j/k!

I see your p/s cap is vented down below, thats good, cause many Vipers have gone up in flames from stock Dot 3 ps fluid hitting the exhaust manifold/headers. Make sure you keep that p/s cap tight! Two-Viper-Chuck uses a pipe wrench!

Mr Gasket sells a little catch can, that accepts the breather hoses from each valve cover, and the p/s. You mount it on the aluminum cross member just in front of the engine. That way, under heavy braking, your valve covers won't dump raw oil into the airbox. No blue smoke on heavy braking, and no knocking sound from the engine trying to compress oil.

Later you might want an Accusump, hinge baffled pan, modified windage tray, ACR oil filter adapter, Water Wetter, stainless brake lines, brake ducts, Brakeman 3s, track alignment, full roll cage, fire supression, Nomex suit, and?

Have fun, and stay safe, Congrats on your new track toy!

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have plenty of brake- Wilwood 6 piston F/4 piston R, with SS brake lines, and huge brake ducts. I just need to get the ABS retrofitted for a decent price (lol)...

My alignment is not too aggressive- -1.8 camber, +6 caster, 1/16" toe out (F) and -1.0 camber, +1 caster, 1/16" toe in (R).

I will definitely look into the catch can (although my car only smokes when I lock up the brakes- lol) and accusump. Also running basically distilled water and water wetter in the rad...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You definitely got the brakes covered! I think thats a better setup than the Stop Techs.

Do you tow your car to the track? After getting a mildly agressive alignment, my tires wore down to the cords after what seemed like just a few hundred miles of street driving. I'm either gonna have to go back to normal alignment, or start towing the car and put track-only miles on it.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No- I don't have a trailer (sigh)...

I am planning on storing my car at the track after I get all the kinks worked out.

What camber are you running? My car seems to do OK on the street, but I have only put a couple hundred miles on it so far...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the street tires aren't squealing in the turns, then you aren't pushing the gas pedal down hard enough! heh heh, j/k!

Mine are usually screaming, sobbing uncontrollably, and begging for mercy. :2tu: