Reliability of Vipers? Pros and Cons?

germ79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've been considering buying a Viper for some time and now that my wife and I are finally settling down, it's becoming a possibility. So, I have a few questions for you all.

I absolutely LOVE the look of the GTS's and would be looking at a MY '96-'98 if I got one. My major concern is, however, is that it will become a "money-pit." It's one thing to spend money on mods and another to HAVE to put money into it because things go wrong. My wife and I don't make an absurd amount of money like some folks on here, so it's important to me that I make as practical of a decision as possible when buying a Viper (if there's such a thing). So, do you all experience a lot of problems with your cars? Are repairs ridiculously expensive?

Also, what do you guys like/dislike about your cars? What reeled you into finally getting one? I have always loved them and would be so excited to own one, but just don't know if I can spend so much on such an impractical car! I'm torn! Give me some advice guys!

Thanks!
Jeremy

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 RT/10 has 88,000 miles on it and ran a 12.05 @ 119mph last month.

My 97 GTS gets the hell beat out of it every month flying over berms and rumble strips and occasional off-road duty.

What was your question?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impractical car? Since when is therapy impractical? In my Jeep I'm dying in the traffic as I can't wait to get home. In my GTS I take the long way, then circle the block at least once, idling in third. (Bet I'm not alone.)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You only live once! I have yet to regret buying my dream car. I think that most people on this web site including myself would say that the Viper is actually VERY reliable. Only dislike is that I dont get to drive it often enough.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy --

Vipers are generally reliable and you can get lots of help via this website if something comes up. For peace of mind buy an extended warranty through a Dodge dealer (some of the special dealers on this site can get you the best price). You'll love the car and wonder what took you so long after you do it. The only downside is that you can't use it as a daily driver in Wisconsin -- those winters are even more of a ***** when you can't go crusing!!

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an aftermarket warranty and sleep easier ;) The older your vehicle gets, the more likely you are to have problems.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned my 98 gts for almost a year now....zero reliability problems.
Just like you,I always wanted one for many years.
My wife thought it was very impractical to buy and thought I was just going through some midlife crisis and figured I would drive it a few months and would get it out of my system and sell it.
No way...I still get such a rush everytime I get behind the wheel and turn the ignition. This car isn't going anywhere!
Even though she won't admit it, I know she likes the car almost as much as I do now. She complains about the noise and stiff ride but I know she is amazed and enjoys the attention this car draws. I have not heard a peep about what an "impractical" car this is and "when are you going to sell it" from her in a very long time.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike exotics these cars are practically bulletproof. aAnd if there is a problem that arises they are no more expensive to fix then any other high end amercian sports car..corvette etc..Get extended warrnty its a no brainer.relatively inexpensive apx 1500-2000 for 4 years and drive it..enjoy and congrads..

ps..in your neck of the woods call Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse Dodge..He is one of the biggest dealers and will hepl you in any way..

Adam

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've owned my 95 since new. Brake Switch is the major Part that i have had to replace.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you have ever owned anything nearly like a Viper so I don't know how much of a shock this transition would be. If the wife really likes driving and riding in the car, that's half of it.

First, you will not find the Viper to be a money pit. They are fairly simple cars with a fairly simple big engine. Nothing fancy to break down.
If it does break, it's only a Dodge. It need's no imported German or Italian parts or mechanics.
If you don't drive it really hard things will last a very long time.

However,
Vipers are not nearly as civilized as you may think. You will find it harder to drive than a Corvette. It is cramped and hot inside. The pedals are small and in a small tunnel.

The car is low and speedbumps, steep driveways or potholes can be a serious problem.

In heavy rain a Viper can hydroplane at low highway speeds.

On dry roads the power available can overcome traction in ways not experienced in other cars. In other words, you can spin or loop a Viper very easily, it happens all the time. You need to take care, really.
Letting uncle Bill drive it around the block can be a recipe for disaster.

The GTS is a little less impractical than an R/T. A large part of the impracticality comes from having to treat the car as something special.
If you just don't try to keep it like a show car, you can drive and park where you like.

Good luck.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would concur with folks who suggest you get an extended service contract. Regardless of where you get it, your only real option is a Chrysler Ext. Service Contract,as DC treats you like it has the factory warranty. Good luck in your search.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Get the car >
Get a warranty >

Your driving life will change !

95% of the money any of us spend is to make a mod or personalize the car.

The folks here in the viper community as well as the vendors will go out of there way to help anyone. I can't say enough about the people I have met in the past year. Enjoy !!!

Roadster99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not spend any money on warranty.
It is a very reliable car.
Save those money for unexpected things and mods.
Being a Viper owner is something special. Thats also worth a lot.
Go ahead and good luck.
Lars...

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to check if the car is eligible for a DC extended service contract, before purchase...I know, this seems obvious...When I bought mine, there was some rule about continuous coverage, or max time covered...can't recall the details...

I only have 14K miles on my 96 RT/10, but it has been very reliable...The only thing that has actually gone wrong was that the alarm would automagically go off, which was a TSB to the hood alarm switch, covered under warranty...

Oh, and the rear tires have a problem (I think on all vipers) where rubber will mysteriously disappear :2tu: usually accompanied by ear to ear smiles :cool:

good luck
Tomer

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only have 14K miles on my 96 RT/10, but it has been very reliable...The only thing that has actually gone wrong was that the alarm would automagically go off, which was a TSB to the hood alarm switch, covered under warranty...

good luck
Tomer
WHAT?! 14K miles?! Dude, you need to get out more :D

Mike

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the car, have a local viper tech inspect it. Go to viper days or any good driving school, it could save your life. Gas Oil and tires are your major expenses. You will never regret the purchase. But you will want to mod it and before long you will have another one sitting next to it. Good luck hope you get snakebit soon.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get one. You will love it. Can this car cost you a lot of money? YES it can but get and extended warranty and your will have a HUGE piece of mind. That will help you when you need it.

Pros and cons about the car:

PROS:
Do I really need to go there? Everything is a pro.

CONS:
Not that many. Car just attracts a lot of attention so you can not just put it anywhere. You will find yourself watching those *** holes a lot and watching where you park but other than that, everything else is a PRO.

OP
OP
G

germ79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your replies! Y'know, it would have made my life a whole lot easier if you all would have told me how horrible it is owning a Viper and how you would NEVER recommend buying one! Oh well, I got the replies I expected.

I'll just have to see how things go. I love my current car and I keep thinking about how much extra money I could save if I didn't go for a Viper, but then, well, I wouldn't have a Viper! I just don't know.

Keep posting likes/dislikes if you have any so I can hear from some people that have lived with the car for awhile. Do any of you get tired of it and want something else? I'm kind of that way with cars and would hate to buy one and then wish I could have something different 6 months down the road.

Thanks again!
Jeremy

PS- Why won't my signature show my link? Anyone know?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
be forwarned when getting a viper you will WANT to spend alot of money with all the mods and personal crap you can do to the car

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jeremy,

Best advice I can give if you really don't want to buy a Viper is to stop visiting this website! If you hang around here for any length of time - the Snake WILL bite you!

PS - You won't mind for a second getting bit - there is nothing more awesome than owning and driving a <font color="red"> VIPER </font> !

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GO drive one and answer your own pros and cons. I bet its all pro. First one I drove all I could say was "I gots to have me one of dees" quote from the movie Independance Day after he takes off in the alien ship.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned two over the past 8 years and any problem I have had, has been very minor.
Extended warranty is a good idea on ANY vehicle if your planning on keeping it awhile, not just a Viper.
I have had fewer problems with Vipers than I have had with many other vehicles.
I guess I can actually say that my Vipers have been some of the most reliable vehiles I have owned. Not to mention, that most would not stand up to the hard driving my Snake gets!

FFVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Reliability of Vipers? Pros and Cons?

throw yourself a bone germ79. buy the car and have a good time. it will be the most fun u ever had driving. viper is the king of the road.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 2000 GTS in June of 2003 and like germ79 I was worried I wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep. Now I am just amazed at how well it was built and it runs. I've never had to take it in for ANY repairs.
I may never sell this car.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&amp;N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte