Removal of Muffler - Legal in Texas?

mayo_pasco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it within legal limits to remove the muffler in Texas?

What is the HP gain?

Has anyone removed the muffler and how much louder does the ride get after removing it?

OP
OP
M

mayo_pasco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What if I remove the muffler and extend the exhaust w/o using the OYL assembly, only using straight pipes?

Would that pass the emission control or is the OYL minimum requirement to be street legal?

If I do need the OYL, where can I get hold of it and how much is it?

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mayo_pasco

Is this a Gen 1 or Gen 2 car? In this case it makes a big difference. I'd be happy to share my thoughts regarding Gen 1 if this is what your after.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn't matter if you have a muffler shop do pipes for you or if you go with SnakeOyl. Not sure if there is a maximum extension rule for tail pipes, but the muffler shop you go to should know.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my 94 RT for about 5 months without the mufflers and finally decided to put on a borla cat-back. IMHO the sound is much richer, deeper but not as loud. Also, the straight pipes had a hollow sound and some annoying drone at about 1800-2300 RPM. WOT sounded very nice with straight pipes, but I think the borla cat-back sounds much better overall on a side pipe car
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
I know that Jeff Ellison has his mufflers taken off of his GEN 1 King Snake and it sounds awesome. I'm not sure if it's ok with the local law enforcement though.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
HUH? a '96 RT/10 GEN II? I think the first GEN II (sorry, Chapter 2) RT/10 didn't come along until '97 <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mayo_pasco:
Kurt,I have a GenII RT/10 '96 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 RT is a bit of a hybrid - getting the rear exhaust and better suspension with the Gen I engine.

Something to be VERY CAREFUL about is this - on a 96 RT, there is NO MUFFLER in the side sills, just the cat (UNLIKE the GTS of the same year and after as well as later RTs...). If you remove the resonator in the rear, you MAY end up with something that is too loud. The 96 RT is the only year / car with this set up.

That's why the 96 RTs consistently dyno better than all the Gen 1's.... better exhaust. So it's a Gen 1.5???

Hope this helps.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 gts with headers and no muffler. It sounds great, not too loud at all. I bought the car in Calf. and had the dealer smog test it before I bought it..... it passed. I wouldn't worry at all. I'm sure a cop will ticket you for not having a front license plate before he looks for your muffler (at least in ILL.) We're talking about deading sound, not performance gains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960