Removing Air out of coolant system...Tator Style!

R

RTED

Chuck Tator is the man! Spoke to Chuck this morning and he indicated that the best way to remove 99% of the air from the cooling system is to.......

1. Fill the coolant resivoir which fills the radaitor and the engine up to the thermostat.

2. To fill the other half of the engine, remove the end of the heater hose connected to the heater core. This hose routes from the heater core to the thermostat housing found on the top side rear of the engine.

3. Raise up the heat hose end just removed placing a funnel in it filling the other half of the engine with your coolant mixture.

4. Connect the hose back to the heater core connection.

5. Top of the coolant resivoir and replace the radiator cap.

6. Start the car and allow the engine to warm up until the radiator fan cycles a couple of times (remember to keep the heater on to allow coolant to flow through the heator core).

7. After the engine COMPLETELY cools down (next morning), fill the coolant resivoir again as it may take another quart of coolant mixture.

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 a couple of times until when you remove the radiator cap, the coolant is at the highest level in the resivoir.

Keep in mind that the overflow bottle near the facia needs to be half full when you begin the filling process and during each cycle of refilling the resivoir.

Thought I would pass this valuable information along....GOOD LUCK!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we're on this subject, what are the symptoms of air in the coolant system? I just bought the Roe hose set w/ the bleeder valve, and will be tackling this project in the next weekend or two.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we're on this subject, what are the symptoms of air in the coolant system? I just bought the Roe hose set w/ the bleeder valve, and will be tackling this project in the next weekend or two.

if the bottle behind the front fascia is empty, you probably have air in the system. keep it full at all times.

OP
OP
R

RTED

The symptoms of air in the system is overheating. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. Air in the system causes steam and and excessive heat build up in the engine. Don't let the temp gauge get near the red zone....**** it down and allow it to cool down before checking fluid levels.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ed, How have you been? For clarification, what connection do I remove? The one at the thermostat?

OP
OP
R

RTED

Craig, remove the 5/8" heater hose that connects directly into the heater core (NOT the hose that connects to the valve assmebly that adjusts coolant flow through the heater core). This correct 5/8" hose routes directly to the larger metal coolant tube that runs parallell with the valve cover on the passenger side of the engine. The larger metal coolant tube routes directly to the thermstat. Hope this helps.

Ed

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not to keep the heater on, you must have the temperature control open (whether the fan is on or not.) The temperature control is a cable-actuated valve the allows coolant into the heater core (again, whether the fan is on or not.)

Hint - if it seems hot in the car while driving and the "heat" (i.e. fan) is not on, it's because air is still passing through the hood grill over the heater core and into the passenger compartment. If you don't want hot air, turn the temp to cold and the outside air won't get warm. There is no way to shut the air flow off.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
let me ask this. what do the dealerships do to fill the system? i KNOW they arent letting the car warm up, then letting it cool till morning, then repeating 6 or 7 times. thats alot of time. and at $65 / hour, well, you get my point.

OP
OP
R

RTED

:D It appears that You may have misread the procedure. You do NOT have to repeat this proces 6 to 7 times. You should only need to top off the coolant resoivor 1 or 2 times repeating steps 6 & 7. Keep in mind that this procedure is for Gen I's. Not sure if this applies to Gen II and III.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D It appears that You may have misread the procedure. You do NOT have to repeat this proces 6 to 7 times. You should only need to top off the coolant resoivor 1 or 2 times repeating steps 6 & 7. Keep in mind that this procedure is for Gen I's. Not sure if this applies to Gen II and III.

sorry, but if you repeat step 7 "a couple of times" the way it is written:

7. After the engine COMPLETELY cools down (next morning), fill the coolant resivoir again as it may take another quart of coolant mixture.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 a couple of times until when you remove the radiator cap, the coolant is at the highest level in the resivoir.

and if you are going to wait till the "next morning", then it would in fact take atleast "a couple" of days, to get it filled. and we know you didnt mean that either.

but my question still remains. bump.

Last edited:

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big-n
The listed procedure is how my Viper dealer
refills.Note that the location matters:D

Skeeter

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big-n
The listed procedure is how my Viper dealer
refills.Note that the location matters:D

Skeeter

look, the only reason i care so much is because i have tried this technique and i never got the system completely filled. i also tried the technique as described in the "how to" section, and never got it completely filled. i also searched all over these threads on the subject and tried THOSE techniques, except for using the roe inserts, and felt that i never got it filled. so, i finally gave up and took my car to ROMOCO. an hour later, they said i was done and filled. they said that they were still able to add about (2) quarts.

all i was asking is - how? much of the information i found wasnt well-written and missed little details that would have been nice to know and could have saved me some $. maybe others are having the same problem too ya know? but i still cant believe a viper needs to sit over night to cool down in order to get the system filled as described above.

if it is really suppose done this way, then i stand corrected. but i dont think it is.

Last edited:

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big-n
Not trying to be a smart ***.I filled my new
radiator this way and ended up adding fluid
one time and had no problems after that.

Skeeter

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look, the only reason i care so much is because i have tried this technique and i never got the system completely filled. i also tried the technique as described in the "how to" section, and never got it completely filled. i also searched all over these threads on the subject and tried THOSE techniques, except for using the roe inserts, and felt that i never got it filled. so, i finally gave up and took my car to ROMOCO. an hour later, they said i was done and filled. they said that they were still able to add about (2) quarts.

all i was asking is - how? much of the information i found wasnt well-written and missed little details that would have been nice to know and could have saved me some $. maybe others are having the same problem too ya know? but i still cant believe a viper needs to sit over night to cool down in order to get the system filled as described above.

if it is really suppose done this way, then i stand corrected. but i dont think it is.

Maybe you need to call me and hear it from my lips because I don't think your getting it and it does works EVERY time. Words typed and words said do sound different! :smirk: 914-763-3136

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big-n
Not trying to be a smart ***.I filled my new
radiator this way and ended up adding fluid
one time and had no problems after that.

Skeeter

i am not trying to be difficult or a smart *** either. but do a search on how to add coolant to the system and you will find MANY techniques. remove this hose, raise the front of the car, squeeze that hose, whatever.

but someday when this thread is on page 20, and a newbie is doing a search one weekend on how to fill his coolant system, i just want to make sure the procedure he finds is correct and clear. and i KNOW ROMOCO didnt let my car sit overnight. OK? the location may be correct, but the technique as described above i dont think is completely accurate. (no offense meant to tators)

continue to argue amoungst yourselves. i made my point. otta here.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the location may be correct, but the technique as described above i dont think is completely accurate. (no offense meant to tators)

Thank goodness for oiled feathers.;)

Okay now I see the misunderstanding! Step 2 is not quite right: the heater hose to be disconnected is on the heater valve, inboard side [closes to motor].

The reason for "let cool overnight" is that the cooling system will naturally create a vacum and refill itself from the overflow bottle in the nose. The next morning [or 5-6 hours later] you'll only need to top off the expansion tank and top off the overflow bottle [qt or so]. If done correctly the system should be full. I would recommend that you check your system once or twice more after the next few heat cycles just to be sure that it is full.:cool:

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, so if somebody assembles the whole procedure with all the correct "Tator" wording..... I promise to print, laminate, and stick it to my tool box lid. :=)

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
*FLASHBACK* reminds me of the pains I had to take to keep Jag V-12's purged of air. <shivers violently>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960