removing fog lamp cover

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but I didn't come up with an answer on a search.

I'm paranoid about breaking the tabs on the fog light lens covers. Is there a special tool anyone uses to avoid damage?

Thanks,
Craig

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go ahead and break one. thats what i did. lol. it's almost impossible not to. you just have to be super careful and a bit lucky.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got lucky enough to get them out and then in again without breaking any tabs but it was just luck. I don't think there is a trick. Only thing I did is try to flex the facia a tiny bit to help get them out and then back in.

OP
OP
P

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheesh. Since I was bored, I was going to get all the sand, etc. that accumulated in there....but on 2nd thought, :dunno: maybe not. Thanks anyway.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be careful. I take a fat flat-bladed screw driver, wrap a rag around it and use it to pry between the cover and body to pop the upper/outer tab out. Piece of cake. Had them in and out many times with no broken tabs.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for the tab that is the most exposed and then insert you cloth covered pry tool next to it. Don't pry on the tab. You want to free the tab by compressing the foam on the opposite side. Once you free one tab the cover will come out easily. Also you don't want to do this if the plastic is too cold.
If it does break, you can buy another set from JonB. I did. Jon suggested a set instead of one because of the way the plastic (PolyCarb) degrades or yellows over time.
Good Luck!

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken mine out several times without a problem and as suggested by someone above, flex the facia a slight bit and they pop out easy. How much did JonB charge you for the pair, I'd like to replace mine, they're a bit scratched.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my new ones from Tator for about $80. I bought a stereo installers plastic pry tool thingy over the internet that works great for removal. Looks like a plastic popsicle stick with a couple of extra edges on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang