Removing Lint from Convertible Top

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been placing a large blanket over the top of my SRT-10 roadster to prevent my wife's cat from scratching the car. The blanket is a fairly thick polartec fleece material. I have noticed that although the material is fairly tightly woven and does not "pill", it still leaves a fair amount of lint on the top. I have searched the forums and it seems that some solutions that people use are (1) vacuuming; and (2) using a lint roller. Any other ideas to get complete removal of the lint other than not using the blanket (this is not an option; ok -- brief rant: even though the flipping car is on a flipping four post lift, the flipping %$#^(& cat jumps onto the roof of the adjacent cars or the car parked below the lift and then jumps onto the lift to use it as its own personal flipping cat jungle gym.

And yes, I have requested that (1) the car not be let outside ("oh no, then he'll poop inside the house"); (2) we declaw the cat ("that's cruel, how will he defend himself outside?"; or (3) sell/eliminate cat (angry death scowl).

God I detest cats. Have a nice day.

/Rich

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't want to use a car cover try using a "Viper Bikini" Jon B at the parts rack sells them. It worked for me as my wife has 3 cats.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lint roller--the one with the sticky tape--works great--i have 3 cats and they sneak out in the garage once in awhile-cover my top with hair-lint tape roller cleans it right up-takes about 45 seconds-Ben

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mount an electric **** trimmer with the string extended 2'-6" about 4" above the roofline of the car. Then shove a dowel up your dead cats butt and use it as a duster. He/she owes you.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pet stores sell a "scat mat". It plugs into the wall and when fluffy or fido jump on it it gives them an uncomfortable tingley feeling. They don't like that and stop jumping up. Usually used on a couch, but would solve your problem.
After a few unpleasant experiences you will not need to plug the pad in, but simply leave it on the top. In a little while the cat will find a more comfortable place to nap.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pet stores sell a "scat mat". It plugs into the wall and when fluffy or fido jump on it it gives them an uncomfortable tingley feeling. They don't like that and stop jumping up. Usually used on a couch, but would solve your problem.
After a few unpleasant experiences you will not need to plug the pad in, but simply leave it on the top. In a little while the cat will find a more comfortable place to nap.

I have 2 "scat mats". They do more than give an uncomfortable tingley feeling. I turned it on the high setting and put my finger on it. It zaps you pretty good. I was checking my skin for burn marks.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lint roller with sticky tape, works perfectly. I used a soft cotton sponge on the roof wich left a ton of fibers after washing, could not get them off, then used the lint roller, all came off easy.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that the scat mat set on high can get quiet a poke, but turned down low it still does the job.

I toned down its effect as it is Rich's wife's cat. Did not want to worry her about Fluffy not being treated humanely.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a proven fact that men who like cats treat women better
You must be registered for see images
. i have no idea how this applies. lol off topic but thought i would chime in. :hitfan: :bonker:

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone --

Thanks for your input. I used the vacuum in the garage today and it actually took off a fair amount of the lint. I will go out and get a sticky tape lint roller and finish the job. Thanks again.

Paul --

I should watch myself as I am sure there are many people on this board who, like my wife, are cat lovers. However, I must admit when I saw the posts about the scat mat my evil, twisted side wondered whether the mat had a kill setting.

/Rich

Reaction score
I use the lint roller. But if you also want to protect the car from dust try a plastic bubble. I had one for a few years. They work great, and also protect from bumps.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred --

Thanks for the tip about the bubble. I actually had one on my previous car but I found that it adversely impacted handling, especially increasing body roll in the corners. :)

/Rich

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bigger problem with the cat is not cat hair on the roof, but rather scratches on the paint. Not being a cat fan myself, I must admit that the thought of Tabby being zapped by a "Fry" setting on the ScatMat sounds very inviting -- especially if he ends up like the zapped cat in "Postman Always Rings Twice." As a more humane countermeasure, however, you might want to consider one of the ultrasonic pest repellers available. I have been using one for about a year now around my carport, and I've not seen any cats nor feline footprints on my car. The product I'm using is the YardContro Electronic Pet Fence, about $80 from smarthome.com.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ahem.....

No lint roller needed....

Just take some duck (duct) tape or masking tape, wrap it around your hand (with adhesive side exposed), and dab the roof.

Works like a charm!

ViprVnm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend the car cover and you could even put your blanket on top of the cover for added protection. Our cats litter box was in the garage but had to be moved inside because of the cat jumping on my viper. I'm going to build a small walkway from the cat door to an enlosed litter box in the garage so she can do her business and not get on the car.

Lint roller works the best for me to get any towel fuzz off the soft top after washing it :D

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have three cats, same problem. I put the top down, use a soft car cover to cover the whole car, place extra blankets on the trunk and hood and finish off with 3 large flatten cardboard boxes. Now cats cannot damage finish even if they jump on car, have no lint on convt top and no dust on whole car. When ready to cruise, remove cardboard and roll up car cover/blankets as one unit. Works great.