Removing the Sun Visors

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm going to remove the sun visors in my Viper. When deployed, they obstruct my vision to the point I can't really see. I sit high enough in the car, that I don't really get much sun in my eyes.

Any reason to keep them that I haven't thought of?

Anybody else take out the sun visors?

Kai

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Main use for the visors is to deflect air over your head and make the interior draft free when the top is down. They can also be flipped straight up, and they will divert air down into the cockpit, for super ventilation.
I agree, that they rarely help in the down position.
(Prepare for windbaffle commercial to follow)

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... They can also be flipped straight up, and they will divert air down into the cockpit, for super ventilation. ...

Yes--until your speed increases to ***; this will invariably without warning cause the visor to flip forcefully downward creating a loud thud sound and resulting irritating driver distraction. It would certainly be great if the visor had some sort of tension adjustment as this would surly fix the problem.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I remove mine every spring since they do not have a purpose. Carry a pair of sunglasses and I am fine. They are more of a pain than good in my opinion. It is not like they have a mirror on them. :D

drdaveSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe they are a safety device protecting/padding your forehead from collisions like the rt spare. I found the ventilation minimal and they do flip at ummm, certain speeds. Too low/vision limiting for actual use. They do display the airbag/seatbelt warning stickers though. Maybe that's their intended use.

Hey dr v, use the screw for pass side to mount. Do you have the V hard wired?

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I yanked the visor's off. I like the top down experience much better without them. Can't really tell the difference in the wind buffeting, but visibility is definitely better. Don't need them for the radar detector, as I'm getting a remote unit installed.

Wednesday was the first day ever with the top down. Winter here in Colorado gave way to 70 degree temperatures. I have to say, life just doesn't get much better than cruising around with the top dropped. You could tell it was the first nice day in a while, as there were lots of nice rides on the roads. I saw a sweet Challenger R/T 440, a blown Camero, and (first ever for me) a Ferrari F40 taking advantage of the sunshine.

Now it's back to snow and cold, but I'm pretty sure that I can feel Spring in the air. Can't wait.

Kai