Removing tranny

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in process of replacing leaking clutch slave in my 1995. I have all 8 bolts off from the tranny to bell housing and a jack under the oil pan and tranny jack under the tranny. I can not get the tranny to "slide out". If I wiggle the tranny from the drive shaft end, the whole engine wiggles but I can not get the tranny freed up. There is not any crack between the tranny and bell housing to get a screw driver in etc. Is there some trick here...some pry point I can back the tranny off with??

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dowels can seize, if you have all the bolts wiggle the transmission.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get back by the tailshaft and grab it and shake the hell otta it up and down and back and forth..man handle it. ..keep doin that and it will pop loose i promise you.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever pull a viper tranny without a lift, using jack stands?? Can it be done?

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever pull a viper tranny without a lift, using jack stands?? Can it be done?
I did it using stands, but only to change the clutch and slave. The jack I used for the trans wouldn't go down far enough to remove it alltogther.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeh - I've pulled my tranny a couple of times from axle stands.
I needed to use heavier duty stands though, to jack the car up higher.
These are 6 ton stands and give good stability with enough height.

And I used a motorcycle scissor lift to lower the tranny out of the tunnel.

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks do-able. So far, after many years of ownership, I haven't had the need to pull the tranny. No clutch or slave work either (knock-on-wood) on my '94 but with each new tranny thread I wonder how I'd handle it with no lift. My day will come. Thanks for the pics guys.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks do-able. So far, after many years of ownership, I haven't had the need to pull the tranny. No clutch or slave work either (knock-on-wood) on my '94 but with each new tranny thread I wonder how I'd handle it with no lift. My day will come. Thanks for the pics guys.

It is an awkward 135 lbs and it does not go in straight because of the knob/protrusion on the tranny's passenger side. If you are on lift with a good tranny jack it is not bad, on the ground it is a chore.

If you are changing the clutch, the line-up dowel that comes with the new clutch is way too sloppy, that can compromise getting the trans back in. After several in-outs I realized the tool sucked and made a clutch alignment tool that truly centers the disk, that helps the trans re-install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang