Replaced and relocated my coolant recovery tank

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's hard to find a place and tank for a new coolant overflow tank. I found this tank which will handle the capacity needed and a location to place it. This Coolant Expansion Fill Tank is 1-1/4 Quart. Size: 5-1/2" Tall, 4-1/2" Wide, 3" Deep. Side Port: 3/8" N.P.T. Bottom Port: 1/2" N.P.T. I hooked the hose up to the bottom of the tank and plugged the side hole. I also removed the check valve plate on the bottom of the installed radiator cap. This tank must breath and not be under pressure like the plastic radiator tank. This Canton expansion tank is built with .100" thick aluminum and has a billet aluminum neck with a barbed overflow fitting and accepts standard radiator caps. I fabricated this bracket and bolted it fast. Of course since I do engraving I had to put something on the face of the tank. Not only did I need the space where the old tank was but I also hated that it is very hard do monitor what is in that old tank. At least this is accessible to fill and monitor. I thought I would share this with you.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that looks very good :2tu: But to be honest I don't quite understand your reasoning to add another tank? In your pic you still have the OEM plastic tank fitted! Do you intend to remove it now that you have made this one? And the other thing I Was wondering about was the Engraving, shouldn't that be a Sneaky Pete on there? :D

Mark
UK

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes that looks very good :2tu: But to be honest I don't quite understand your reasoning to add another tank? In your pic you still have the OEM plastic tank fitted! Do you intend to remove it now that you have made this one? :D

Mark
UK

I needed to relocate my super charger/intercooler coolant tank and pump to the location of the stock recovery tank.

AFTER

Here is why

And the other thing I Was wondering about was the Engraving, shouldn't that be a Sneaky Pete on there? :D

Mark
UK

Why not Sneaky Pete? I don't like that logo. It's a personal preference. I like Fang better.

My old tank was so cloudy yellow the flashlight idea was not working. Good suggestion.

Good questions!
Thank you for the complements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't you have to remove the fascia now to change your air filter?:dunno:

Yep! :crazy2: And the first time I have to do that I will be cutting an access door thru the inter fender well for easy access. For now I just put one of those moisture bags over the filter to see how much dust it will take to make it dirty. I can remove the bag thru the access hole in the fender well. No bid deal I have had my fascia off 4 times since I put it on two years ago. I do seam to work on my car allot. If you take close notice to the one picture i cut the one inner fender well to make the fiberglass fascia easer to take off and put on. But that is a hole other topic.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great job!
too bad you can't just replace the 2 tanks with 1 bigger one that could handle both duties (like most other vehicles)

I see in your pic that your original overflow tank was punctured by the sharp screw in the rad. support - this happened to me as well

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I needed to relocate my super charger/intercooler coolant tank and pump to the location of the stock recovery tank.

AFTER

Here is why

Why not Sneaky Pete? I don't like that logo. It's a personal preference. I like Fang better.

My old tank was so cloudy yellow the flashlight idea was not working. Good suggestion.

Good questions!
Thank you for the complements.

i did the same on my car relocating paxton pump using a bigger cold charger and bigger pump
DSCN0010.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so will you be ready for carlisle?

Oh, Yea.. The car is all done. The last thing I have to do is tune it. So far I'm not sure how I will do that. I have been considering using DC performance for that. This build was a long one and I'm going thrugh Viper withdraw. When this thing hits the street I'll be taking care of it. (I hope) I don't ever want to go another year without driving my Viper. If you are ever in Harrisburg drop by and I'll fire it up for you.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i did the same on my car relocating paxton pump using a bigger cold charger and bigger pump
DSCN0010.JPG

OK you got me, I'm planning on this upgrade someday. Did your upgrade make a noticeable difference? Are you running a cold air intake system?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang