replacing air filter

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can someone give me a quick how to on replacing the air filter on a 2000 r/t? just bought the k/n air filter(s).... can't wait till spring!

:headbang:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty easy... undo the clips on the front of the air box, take out the old filters, and drop in the new ones.

With that being said, I've found it easier to take the whole box out in addition to taking the other clips out. The box should be held by three plastic finger screws (1 inch diameter black plastic head).

The only reason I took the box out is because I didn't want to stretch the air tubes connected to the box.

This technique worked well for my friend's 02 GTS, also...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the plastic retainers for the clips CAN break...especially if it's cold where you are working...and WHEN you lose (or have already lost) a clip, you can usually find them quickly (and cheap) at a GM parts counter.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohio? Don't do this with a cold car/airbox. You'll break the plastic retainers on the clips since they are already under enough stress. Also, flatten out the stainless clips just a little with a good wack from a hammer. The K/N's don't compress as much and you'll pop clips if you don't.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohio? Don't do this with a cold car/airbox. You'll break the plastic retainers on the clips since they are already under enough stress. Also, flatten out the stainless clips just a little with a good wack from a hammer. The K/N's don't compress as much and you'll pop clips if you don't.

I didn't have this problem with my 00 RT10, or my friend's 02 GTS. Is it a GenI specific problem?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck no, it's with all of them...some have it some don't. I's not a big deal though. If you notice one popped off, take a new one (about $1 at a Chevy dealer) flatten it out just a little and replace. Probably will always then be fine.

Just don't play around with the plastic when it's cold and snap the retainer. The box is expensive.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clips don't break, it's the plastic tab that holds the clip in place. Beware they will break on 2000 models. Been there / broke that.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

OP
OP

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the notes guys..

andrew, are those original chrome emblems? i've been thinking about replacing my sides and rear w/ the chrome replacement emblems... i think it looks sweet. your car looks awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness