Replacing Clutch.....What should I get stock or Centerforce???

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I am in the process of putting the 700R stroker motor in the car and decided to replace the cluth since access is so easy now. (55k miles)

I am looking for opinions on what I should put back in. I will have about 625 at the wheels with the new powerplant.

Thanks for your responses!

Regards,

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends what your plans are with the car, if it is going to be drag raced I say go with the centerforce. For everyday street pounding stock is best :2tu:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That depends on whether you actually run the car hard or not...

Stock is good, but after a few hard passes it will slip.

Let me put it to you this way... are you going to replace the stock half-shafts this time around?

JD

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point JD......If your not going to the strip "ever" and are going to run street tires then just stay with a stock clutch. It will out grip radials on the street. Maybe freshen it with a new stocker.

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which stage are you guys going with??? I'm puttin 693 to the rear was thinking about the stage 3. Street driven mostly but really hard. Opinions please!

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.... I decided to go with an upgraded kevlar clutch from JonB.

JD, I am keeping the stock half shafts for now. The cost on this project keeps rising as we get further in.....seems I killed the cam and lifters. So, now we are going with a solid. Still though, I am probably not going to drag race this car.

Tony, I did not get your Email.(sorry)
Please send it to [email protected]">[email protected]</a> or <a href="mailto:[email protected]

Regards,

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went stage three, I am shooting for 750 RWHp and did not want to take any chances. Its a little grabby just crusing around town, but not undriveable.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the stage 3 but I have not yet installed it. I am planning on installing it next weekend. I will keep you posted.

dansauto
Do you currently have a stage 3 installed? How does it drive compared to the stock clutch?

Thanks

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is just more sensitve. You start to let the clutch out and it just grabs, no more easy starts. Little touchy in traffic or worst yet homecoming parade! But on the highway its as smooth as glass.

Note when installing take the bellhousing off! I could not find any way to drop the transmission thur the frame rails and spent more time trying than any other part of the install.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a new one too. The Spec is looking pretty promising. I just hate to loose the easy drivability. Oh well, you gotta pay to play! I don't feel like roasting my stocker again at the track either.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.... I decided to go with an upgraded kevlar clutch from JonB.

JD, I am keeping the stock half shafts for now. The cost on this project keeps rising as we get further in.....seems I killed the cam and lifters. So, now we are going with a solid. Still though, I am probably not going to drag race this car.

Regards,
How did you kill the cam and lifters :confused: What happened with your car???

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically I pitted three cam lobes because of the lifters. Plain and simple, the lifters just wore out. I had one that had .0029 worth of material left on one side. I figure another 250 miles, and that pin would have fallen out and killed the block (along with everything else) I feel pretty good though - I have one of the more aggressive cam grinds, and have not touched the heads in almost 30k miles. This was one time where I just plain old got lucky - things could have been much worse. Plus, now I get to go WILD with the new cam!

Regards,

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are there, you _really_ ought to do the half-shafts. It won't take long and they aren't expensive. Cheap insurance... I'll even help you.

Just think about it...

JD

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the stock clutch with 970 RW Torque. It's a bit tempermental about warm up before a run, but continues to work fine. If you don't warm it up sufficiently before running it will slip. There are a couple other simple procedures that I have been using lately and I have not "smoked" my stock clutch since implementing them.

Tom

P.S. I would like to hear more about real world high power application of the spec product. Any feedback from you is appreciated.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the stock clutch with 970 RW Torque. It's a bit tempermental about warm up before a run, but continues to work fine. If you don't warm it up sufficiently before running it will slip. There are a couple other simple procedures that I have been using lately and I have not "smoked" my stock clutch since implementing them.

Tom

P.S. I would like to hear more about real world high power application of the spec product. Any feedback from you is appreciated.

Tom, please share the simple procedures that you use to keep from smoking the clutch! Inquiring minds want to know! Also, how do you warm it up at the track? :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom

So, you changed techniques since Bowling Green and or just changed the clutch ?
RSI runs a spec clutch in their fast cars....don't know if it's custom or off the shelf. I am now a Spec dealer so I will be finding out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo