Replacing hoodpad tips/tools anyone?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing my hoodpad soon and wanted to know any tips or what tools i should use to remove the old one and install the new one.

I hear that the clips sometimes break as well. Where can i get some new ones besides the dealer? Is there a cross part number from another DC car that works?

Thanks

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your hood off, turn it upside down [on a blanket] and you WILL need all new retainers. #6003351 MSRP $2.85 each [less 20% VCA]. Maybe some parts store can cross them for you?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those "hood insulation retainers" are also used by Ford under part # 385330S and are manufactured under part # 3036R by:

UFO (Ultra Fasteners Div.)
207 Seminary Ave., Augusta, KY 41002
Tel: (866) 327-7225 Fax: (800) 859-0666
e-mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.autofastenergroup.com
Body hardware; specialty fasteners

Any good body shop supplier will carry them at less than $1 piece

Luc 00GTS

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Chuck, does the hood REALLY have to come off? I'd hate to do that and worry about lining it up right afterwards. I'd really like to do this with the hood on :)

Any special tools to replace the fasteners?

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Chuck, does the hood REALLY have to come off? I'd hate to do that and worry about lining it up right afterwards. I'd really like to do this with the hood on :)

Any special tools to replace the fasteners?

I didn't remove my hood, I layed a blanket over my engine bay/fenders and pulled the clips out one by one and let the top or bottom hang until all clips were removed,(some pads have a spot of glue between the hood and pad probably for installing so you might have to pull it away), don't forget to remove the nuts holding the grounding straps one by one, it does help to have an extra hand when installing, just push the new clips in place, no special tools needed, (pliers) done.

FLX109

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a removal tool that is not necessary, but makes it a little easier. It looks like a long screwdriver with a "V" at the end which goes under the retainer & gives you a little leverage. I got mine at autoparts store, pretty cheap. BE CAREFUL not to pry against the fiberglass.

I didn't take my hood off for it either, but if you do there is no allignment. Only 4 nuts to take off & it goes back on easy. Takes about 20 minutes to do.

Andy

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a cheap little tool from AutoZone to pry off the clips. Like someone already described, it is sort of a curved flat blade screwdriver with a V-shape cutout in the end. As long as you insert the tool against the hood pin all the way into the V before you pry it loose there's almost no way the pin will be damaged.

It took me a few tries before I got the technique down, so I mangled a few. I replaced all the pins with round headed ones, which I found a LOT cheaper than those butterfly original ones.

Be sure and unbolt the two ground straps first - I think it's a 15mm nut.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, if you are replacing the hood pad it's a great chance to do a custom paint job on it. There are several threads around here with some pics of what others have done to theirs. Here's mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewViperz