Replacing my GEN I radiator and have some questions

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be replacing my GEN I (An early 93 car) radiator and oil cooler. Do to an overheating problem I have been having on the track. I would like any advice I can get. I know of the two bolts on top holding the radiator on but I am not sure about any other fasteners or where they might be. Or just as importantly how to get to them.
So my questions are:

Where are all the fasteners holding on the radiator?

What's the easiest way to get to them?

What needs to come off the car to get to the radiator?

What other problems am I going to have while taking on this project?

Thanks,
Dan :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know about bleeding the air out of the system? I think there's various threads and an Illustrated Upgrade on it.

For extra downforce I added a Roe front fascia duct that also increases cooling by directing the air through the rad instead of in front and behind it. Roe Racing Viper Performance Parts cost was a couple hundred bucks.

Ted

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piece of cake! Upgrade the whole system IMO. I went with the Allen Performance radiator/fan upgrade setup. ($700, summer'08) Your car probably has the cap on the radiator?? You probably want to put in an overflow bottle and a colder t-stat.

In answer to the original question... remove the air filter/air inlet and the radiator fan. You'll need to remove the drivers side hood spring/support (just remove the hood if you have help) to get the radiator out. It comes out through the top easy as can be. Drain the radiator first by removing the bottlom hose DON'T try to remove the drain plug unless you want to trash the old radiator. The radiator is secured in by the two screws on top. The bottom just sits in rubber bushings in the frame at the bottom.

Have fun.

=J

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm... I have a '94 and replaced the original radiator and fan with another radiator and the upgraded fan and didn't think to remove the hood, yet it came out OK. That was so long ago, can't remember, but don't think there was anything hard. My problem was once the "new" radiator was in, only then did I see the old fan style didnt attach.

It all depends, of course, but I wouldn't be afraid of a new radiator (and dealers only have the version that uses the new fan) with the new fan and a Roe hole would be a pretty robust combination. If you were running around with the '93 stuff and it was holding up, this list of parts should be good.

After removing the fan, on my '94 you loosen top bolts, tilt the radiator rearward and it lifts up off pins on the bottom. But I think someone with an early car will chime in and say it's different.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piece of cake! Upgrade the whole system IMO. I went with the Allen Performance radiator/fan upgrade setup. ($700, summer'08) Your car probably has the cap on the radiator?? You probably want to put in an overflow bottle and a colder t-stat.

In answer to the original question... remove the air filter/air inlet and the radiator fan. You'll need to remove the drivers side hood spring/support (just remove the hood if you have help) to get the radiator out. It comes out through the top easy as can be. Drain the radiator first by removing the bottlom hose DON'T try to remove the drain plug unless you want to trash the old radiator. The radiator is secured in by the two screws on top. The bottom just sits in rubber bushings in the frame at the bottom.

Have fun.

=J

Is the process listed above for a 93? Lets just say id rather have my thumb smashed with a hammer than do this again. Its almost as easy as passing a stone.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-do-you-remove-radiator-fans-early-gen-i.html

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early93, you are hosed. Go to the illustrated upgrades and download the 92-96 parts manual. It shows a picture on page 34 of 194 (labelled as 7-110A) second page in the cooling section. The fans, shroud and radiator support are all one big piece. Ugh.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stand corrected... It sure was easy on my '94. While I've seen a few early cars, I don't remember all the differences. Maybe contact the Wizard to see if he has any tips??!

J

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as Tom mentioned hosed. Its real easy with the correct size sawzall and a BFH.

rocknroll

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The hose job wasn't that bad. I've got a late 93'(#871) with the 1 peice radiator support. Pulled the radiator for a cam change with eng installed.

1- removed front facia
2- removed all the plastic intake ductwork (2 rivets on top radiator support
3- removed 3 of the 4 headlight stud nuts and rotated headlights outboard pivoting on the 4th aft stud (a ***** allen look)
4- scribed around the hood mounts and removed 3 mount bolts on each side
5- removed 2 oil cooler mount bolts
6- removed top 2 radiator mount bolts
7- tilted top of radiator forward and slid it up and out of the rubber bushings on the bottom. (The lower radiator hose neck is the tight fit that needs a little prying to clear.

Hope this helps

Max

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early93, you are hosed. Go to the illustrated upgrades and download the 92-96 parts manual. It shows a picture on page 34 of 194 (labelled as 7-110A) second page in the cooling section. The fans, shroud and radiator support are all one big piece. Ugh.

Can I replace the radiator with a later GEN I radiator? I have a slightly used late GEN I radiator I was planing to replace it with. Is that not possible?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hose job wasn't that bad. I've got a late 93'(#871) with the 1 peice radiator support. Pulled the radiator for a cam change with eng installed.

1- removed front facia
2- removed all the plastic intake ductwork (2 rivets on top radiator support
3- removed 3 of the 4 headlight stud nuts and rotated headlights outboard pivoting on the 4th aft stud (a ***** allen look)
4- scribed around the hood mounts and removed 3 mount bolts on each side
5- removed 2 oil cooler mount bolts
6- removed top 2 radiator mount bolts
7- tilted top of radiator forward and slid it up and out of the rubber bushings on the bottom. (The lower radiator hose neck is the tight fit that needs a little prying to clear.

Hope this helps

Max

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Any more advice? Looks like I am going to need it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I replace the radiator with a later GEN I radiator? I have a slightly used late GEN I radiator I was planing to replace it with. Is that not possible?

Well, looking at page 34 (of 194) of the 92-96 parts manual labelled 7-110A that is available for download in the Illustrated Guide section... it lists one radiator part number for the dual fan, another part number for the single fan, and yet another part number for the GTS. So at first glance the answer is no.

I know from replacing my '94 radiator that the difference between my old one and the '96 is only where the holes/studs were in the metal frame used to attach the radiator to the shroud. The ******* were same size, same place. You'll have to look at the attaching hardware to see if your late Gen 1 radiator can be used by simply adding a hole or bolt in a new location.

rocknroll

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! Any more advice? Looks like I am going to need it.

One thing to add on the disassembly, pay attention to where the shims are under the headlights.

The hardest part on the re-assembly for me was getting the facia back on. Definitely takes two people and a "warm" facia to stretch outboard of the wheelwells.

Make sure you reconnect the side marker lights and fog lights prior to installing the facia. (it's no fun going thru the 4" wheelwell holes)

Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX