Replacing Water Pump

Lambojf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GTS that seems to have a defective water pump(impeller). The place I purchased the car (bought used)at, deals with top end cars only and seems to have a good reputation.I brought the car back to them for the water pump.My only worry is that they will be using an aftermarket water pump, not one from a dealer.They tell me that there wont be a problem, and that the dealer pump is probably the same, only marked up in price.I told them I'd get back to them. What do you guys out there think about aftermarket parts? The water pump they will use will be made by AST (or ASC -I cant remember)or by Airtex.I'd love to get your opinions.
Thanks,
Joe

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've always heard that parts such as alternators, starters, water pumps from the dealer are actually rebuilt units. The difference is that these units are completely gutted and all new internals are used. Basically the only thing used is the casing. Some rebuilt oems from places like Autozone and O'Reilly Automotive only replace the component(s) that have failed but supposedly tests out the existing original components. I know I went through 5 alternators on a C5 vette. All rebuilds and come to find out, the rebuilder was only replacing the defective component and not actually replacing anything else in it i.e. bearings.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my replacement pump at Advanced auto for $218.00 or so. Came with all the gaskets, etc. Only takes an hour or so to take off and about an hour to prep and replace with the new one....so don't take a bath at the dealer or local shop. Definately a DIY project.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my replacement pump at Advanced auto for $218.00 or so. Came with all the gaskets, etc. Only takes an hour or so to take off and about an hour to prep and replace with the new one....so don't take a bath at the dealer or local shop. Definately a DIY project.

Doesn't the timing chain cover have to come off for this job?

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't have to unbolt the intake just to take off the water pump either, do you? I know you have to in order to replace the thermostat.

Maybe on granddads tractor, but not on an '01 GTS.

You must be registered for see images

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I think I have some photos I shot during my replacement in my gallery. I was going to do an illistrated guide...but you know how that goes.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to unbolt the intake just to take off the water pump either, do you? I know you have to in order to replace the thermostat.

No, the intake can stay put. I was replacing my entire cooling system at that time, including the t-stat.

Why did I do all of that? Just because, why not, just money...

In summary though, I have a perfectly good 2001 water pump, radiator and hoses in my inventory.

OP
OP
L

Lambojf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
914-763-3136 ask for chuck.
Yep, he's the man. Called him this morning.Going up there tomorrow if I can.

here's a pic of a new OE off Chuck, against the old, broken one (when mine failed).

Neil, got your post over at the alley as well. Thanks for the info. I will definitely be tackling it this weekend.
I have found an aftermarket pump made by Airtex.Theyre a little more than half price from the dealer, but I am sorta weary about using an aftermarket pump. They claim to be new, not rebuilt. Going to taters tomorrow.
Thanks to all for your input.I hope the pump's my problem.All symptoms point to it.What is driving me nuts is that it happened while I was test driving the car immediately after doing a muffler delete.Made me think right away about what I did with the exhaust to cause an overheat.( I used a 2 1/2" X pipe- thinking that size X pipe was choking the motor) My first reaction was to take a sawzall and cut the X pipe off, to see if problem would be solved.Luckily, I kept my head straight and waited till the next day to look into it. It gave me time to do some searching here, and Thank God, there were posts that helped me out.Thanks to all
Joe

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can stand to have your car off the road for a few days, there's nothing stopping you removing the pump to check first before outlaying the money for a new pump, just incase

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can stand to have your car off the road for a few days, there's nothing stopping you removing the pump to check first before outlaying the money for a new pump, just incase

If he has the spinning impeller syndrome, is that detectable by hand? On my '01 pump I took out, grabbing the impeller in one hand and then the pulley hub in the other hand, and then trying to spin them apart, only resulted in the need for first-aid on my palms. And as mentioned above, I never suspected my pump was bad, just preventative maintenance replacing it.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine turned pretty easily by hand, it was so worn that the impella practically fell off the unit

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any quick tips on doing the serpentine belt at the same time as the water pump? Any special tools needed?

Well, ya gotta take the belt off to take the pump off, some I'm not sure I understand your logic of asking about the belt while you're doing the pump. Like you got a choice!

The tensioner is 15mm, and a long bar is very helpful as you can get fatigue easily trying to hold the tensioner and work the belt on. Many auto parts sell tools for this. I made one from a piece of flat bar and welded a 15mm socket on it.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any stories to share...? :D

Unfortunately, I do...

I had an overheating issue awhile ago. Wound up having a leaky radiator (it wasn't an RDR :D). I replaced the radiator and that temporarily took care of the issue but now that its 104* out, my temp gauge almost pegged again but this time with no coolant loss. The temp fluctuates throughout the range so I am assuming the impeller is spinning on the shaft. I'm gonna burp the system and check my overflow bottle (again) tonight and see if that helps. Ultimately, I think it's time for a water pump.

I should have replaced the water pump back in December when I did the timing chain cover gasket... :brick: :aargh:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine