resetting viper is this correct?

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to know if this was the correct way of resetting the viper from a dead battery

after charging up the battery, take the positive wire off the battery and touch the frame of the car/battery pan then follow WOT relearn steps....

just wanted to make sure it was the positive cable, and the fact that I have to do this from the actuall battery. Do I even have to do this? I was just reading a few post that I did on a search....

Thanks
Martin:usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Do I even have to do this?"

NO...at least, if all you did was change the battery. Start it up, drive it and things should go well.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Tater, to reset the PCM you ground the positive cable to the frame. Then reconnect and turn key to the on position and press the accelerator pedal three times to the floor to set the range on the throttle position sensor. So that's what I'd do.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to know if this was the correct way of resetting the viper from a dead battery

after charging up the battery, take the positive wire off the battery and touch the frame of the car/battery pan then follow WOT relearn steps....

just wanted to make sure it was the positive cable, and the fact that I have to do this from the actuall battery. Do I even have to do this? I was just reading a few post that I did on a search....Thanks
Martin:usa:

Gen 2 ONLY, yes. There are dowsides, the PCM resets all basic parameters and erases 255 past run code memories! Erratic idle WILL result 3-5 run cycles.

Not MANDATORY unless the alarm was ARMED when the battery died.

Not MANDATORY to reset the TPS unless you have erratic idle / wont hold.

ALSO: Reset the Cubby Box Key Switch if alarm was activated 98+...or just do it anyway to be sure!

Then RE-SYNCH the ALARM FOB..... (Hold 2 buttons down 5-7 sec at same time til HONK)

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I also need some help wih this. I have a Gen I 95 Viper and the battery crapped out. I removed the rear wheel, etc. and replaced with a new battery. When I tried to start the car the "Alarm Set" light came on and the car would start and immediately die.
I then did the alarm reset by pushing both buttons on the fob until I heard the honk. Then I started the car and the "Alarm Set" light was out and the car runs fine as long as I keep giving it gas. As soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal, the rpms go to 0 and the car dies.
I took it out for a drive thinking this might help but it did not. Still dies when taking my foot off the gas.
Is this still an Alarm problem? Do I need to disconnect the positive battery cable and ground against the frame?
I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like a "learning" phase. I went through this when replacing a TPS. 2-3 trips (as defined by start, warm up, cool down because the ECU is looking at coolant temp) should fix it. I believe having the AC or defrost on somehow helps the learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
booth