Review: Mr. Clean Autodry Car Washing System

dies

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just used it today on my Ram. It worked well, the paint is smooth and there are absolutely no spots, including the windows/windshield. The only complaint I have is the system is plastic...

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had really bad experience with the Mr. Clean AutoDry system on numerous cars, using very meticulous techniques. I strongly agree with Gar on the merits of deionized water, but will personally stay away from the Mr. Clean system in the future.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may go out and get a kit.

We get our water from a lake that has one of the highest mineral contents in the nation.

You must be registered for see images attach

If it will work here it will work anywhere.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two $5 off coupons for the system. The system is currently $18 at Wal-Mart, so you could buy it for $13 with one of the coupons.

First two people to PM me can have a coupon. Please post a message here on the board so that people know that you've claimed it.

VRERACING - You should definitely get a kit. I'd be curious to hear your results...

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the coupons at Mr. Clean.

Yeah, that's where I got my coupons from. They take several weeks to get to you, though. I couldn't wait... I bought mine before the coupons came. So, I thought I'd be nice and send the two coupons I received out someone who needed it.

I'm giving them away FREE... actually, I'll lose 37 cents each coupon for postage when I send them to whoever needs it, but I'm willing to take that hit :)

Just wanted to give someone a chance to save some money. No good deed will go unpunished...

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was intrigued by this idea for the reason above. We have some of the most difficult water and the most difficult conditions to wash a car in.

Here's the weather when I did the wash.

Temp: 74
UV Index: 7 High
Dew Point: 25°F
Humidity: 16%
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pressure: 29.82 inches and falling
Wind: From the West Southwest at 20 gusting to 30 mph

The device didn't take very long to set up and was pretty simple.

I forgot to rinse off the outside rear so it's kind of a control.

The most sensitive parts for me have been the hood and the door panels.

Finally, looks nice.

Overall it worked pretty well and dried without spots in a pretty harsh environment.

My car is 5 years old, has been driven 30K miles, and has spent a great deal of time outside as a daily driver so I would be interested to see what the opinions of people are who do detailing.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. I just did two cars this weekend.

1.) 1998 Silver/Blue Viper with last Zaino coat about 1 months ago.

A.) Washed the car with Zaino soap.
B.) Sprayed car with regular water.
C.) Used filtered water to finish to hopefully achieve a spot free finish.

** Drum roll please.....

Don't bother with this method. As most of you know, the water beads like crazy on a Zaino'ed car, and I waited 2 hours for the water to dry. At this point, the water was still beading. I wanted to take the Viper for a drive, so I gave up and dried with water blade and towel. Would it have dried spot free? Who knows... But I would have had to wait 5 hours to find out. It may have dried quicker if I used the Autodry car soap, but I did not want to take a chance of stripping any Zaino. Sal recommends only his soap, and I have to agree. I know from experience if I use another car soap the Zaino coating does not last 1/2 as long.

2.) 1989 Buick Park Avenue - Black (Excellent Condition)

A.) I followed the instructions 'EXACTLY' on this vehicle. First step spray the car off with regular water.
B.) Use the soap they provide, and spray over car. Used a chencille mitt to clean.
C.) Spray clean with regular water.
D.) Final rinse with filtered water.

** Did it work? Yes, the car did dry 95% spot free. The car looked good, but I could have achieve the same result QUICKER with my usual method. The filtered water sprays extremely slow, and by the time you rinse the car with the filtered water, you could have dried it and drank a beer. Not to mention I used almost the entire container of soap they provided with the unit.

Conclusion: I don't recommend this product. It does not save time, and the cost of filter and soap will add up over time.

My method (Unbeaten for 3 years now - I've tried everything, including electric leaf blowers): Wash vehicle. Spray clean. Disconnect sprayer from hose, and allow a steady stream of water to flow over roof, hood, doors. This will sheet almost all the water off your car. Remove remaining water with California Water Blade and 100% USA cotton Towel (I prefer Polo). I have NEVER strached my car or created swirls using this method, and it is quicker/cheaper than the Autodry system.

My .02.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How cold was it outside this weekend, and was there any sun? My car usually dries in about 15 minutes, but then again... I live in Atlanta.

As for using a towel and not creating swirl marks... HOW??? I've tried several brands of towels, and they leave swirls. I bet if I looked at your car, I could find swirls :)

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) I was in the shade and it was about 65-70 degrees in Pittsburgh this weekend. Keep in mind, my Buick did dry in about 30 minutes, but I used the Autodry Soap, and this car is not Zaino'ed. It does have a nice coat of Collinite wax, though, which beads nicely as well. I think the dry time has a lot to do with the Autodry soap, IMHO. I did not use this soap of the Viper (used Zaino).

2.) The key to no swirls in NOT 'moving' a towel to dry. Let me explain. After I allow a steady steam of water to flow over the Viper, most of the water sheets of the car. At this point, I make sure my California water blade is 100% clean (no dirt or particles caught in the blade). I use the blade to get 95% of the water off (everywhere but tight spots). Then I 'pad' dry with the Polo towel. I don't wipe back and forth (no need to at this point). This method is 100% safe and will not create swirls. It's also VERY fast once you get good with the blade.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the soap has a lot to do with it. I have yet to Zaino my current Viper, but ChrisGTS' Viper has Zaino on it, and the Mr. Clean works great on his. Water still beads up, too (we were worried that it would strip the Zaino).

You get better using the system. At first, I used a lot of the soap and filtered water. Now, it's pretty quick. Definitely faster.

Good tip on "pad" drying. I usually moved the towel, which I'm sure is what introduced the swirl marks...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a Zaino'ed car, I noticed that the water will continue to bead for 6+ months if you use the Zaino car wash. When I started to use Emerald Green (Turtle wax) car wash to save money and for convenience, the car stopped beading after 2 months (after a fresh Zaino detail). I'm sure all car wash soaps will perform differently, but I have to agree with Sal (Zaino creator) on using his car wash to extend the longevity of the Zaino polish. If you have a garage queen or like to polish frequently, it probably will make no difference.

One thing that did bother me, as someone else stated, was the gray look my mitt took once finishing the car with the Autodry system. IT WAS NOT DIRT, it was stained. Not sure what the heck this is, but I bet is has to do with some additive in the Autodry car soap. I'm not saying this will or won't hurt your paint, but what is this stuff? My car was pretty clean when I started, so I can't imagine it was dirt. Unless there is something in the autodry soap that combined with dirt will stain your wash mitt...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc