Ride height adjustable suspension questions

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the Gen V photos I've seen are of cars that appear to be lower than the car's normal ride height, and it gives the car an improved stance IMO. Is this done with shorter springs on stock dampers or with an adjustable coilover? Are they currently available, expected to be, or were these just factory one-offs to experiment. And if done with shorter springs, what would be the expected implications for the stock damper settings, stability control, handling and ride quality? Thank you.

Bruce

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory mules (most of the photos that are floating around) had different ride heights then production models.

Reaction score
There were cars fitted with lowering springs to see if they would affect the stability systems. The GTS is still an unknown, but may work. The SRT version will work fine. We have been stocking up on the MCS suspensions in anticipation of our ordered SRT's. We have a double adjustable remote resivour version and the new rebound adjustable non remote. Both are full coil overs to allow spring rate choices and any ride height you may want.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were cars fitted with lowering springs to see if they would affect the stability systems. The GTS is still an unknown, but may work. The SRT version will work fine. We have been stocking up on the MCS suspensions in anticipation of our ordered SRT's. We have a double adjustable remote resivour version and the new rebound adjustable non remote. Both are full coil overs to allow spring rate choices and any ride height you may want.

Mark, what do you think about lowering springs for the GTS, but keeping the factory GTS dampers? Although I'd like to lower my GTS, not at the cost of degrading handling. I've lowered cars in the past only to make the car slower on the track. So I'm hoping there will be a lowering option for the GTS that is track proven. Something that doesn't reduce jounce so much that the car gets upset on bumps, and a solution that doesn't ruin the balance the SRT engineers worked so hard to produce. I know there's nothing available for the GTS yet, but please let us know as soon as it is.

Thanks!

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The mules looked like a 4x4, the recent pics looked better but still look to high for my preference. Some one will come out with a shorter spring set that will maintain the factory GTS suspension system. Ferrari 458 has a very sophisticated suspension system and all it takes to lower it is a new set of springs and all the original dampening system remains. not sure who will come out with it but I hope KW does. Not only are they great but they have a hydraulic lifting system so you can clear obstructions, very cool.

Reaction score
The GTS suspension is still an unknown, I am supplying a set of MCS double adjustables to SRT vehicle dynamics this spring for study and calibration testing. From what I have been told Mopar should have a lowering spring set for the SRT soon also, but testing on the GTS has not been finished.

Mark, what do you think about lowering springs for the GTS, but keeping the factory GTS dampers? Although I'd like to lower my GTS, not at the cost of degrading handling. I've lowered cars in the past only to make the car slower on the track. So I'm hoping there will be a lowering option for the GTS that is track proven. Something that doesn't reduce jounce so much that the car gets upset on bumps, and a solution that doesn't ruin the balance the SRT engineers worked so hard to produce. I know there's nothing available for the GTS yet, but please let us know as soon as it is.

Thanks!

Reaction score
The KW lift system cost as much as a great set of coil overs (better then KW's), so I doubt many Viper owners will feel the need to waste money there when choosing upgrades. I sold a system to a Ford GT customer and he was very disappointed when he got them, I'm just glad I did not recommend them.

The mules looked like a 4x4, the recent pics looked better but still look to high for my preference. Some one will come out with a shorter spring set that will maintain the factory GTS suspension system. Ferrari 458 has a very sophisticated suspension system and all it takes to lower it is a new set of springs and all the original dampening system remains. not sure who will come out with it but I hope KW does. Not only are they great but they have a hydraulic lifting system so you can clear obstructions, very cool.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The KW lift system cost as much as a great set of coil overs (better then KW's), so I doubt many Viper owners will feel the need to waste money there when choosing upgrades. I sold a system to a Ford GT customer and he was very disappointed when he got them, I'm just glad I did not recommend them.

With respect, I will disagree. The KW lift system is very expensive, but very cool and all it takes is one smashed front skirt to make it worth it. I have the system on my GT and I love it. The GT has a straight forward suspension system and the KW firms up the ride considerably, while the OEM ride is quite soft. It is of course a matter of opinion if you like it better or not. As for the GTS, a spring (not coil-over) change will most likely all that will be needed to lower the ride height, leaving the dampening system in place. It is not necessary to spend the extra money to do the lift system, that just something extra if you want to spend the money. I guess when I get the call from Bill saying my Styrker has arrived, we won't be talking about doing any suspension changes, will we. :smirk:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, the recent pictures I have seen of Ralph's car make the wheel gap look very good.

Same goes for the TA. I may be wrong, but I thought the TA had the same suspension setup as the GTS with just stiffer settings.

I'd be very happy with the stance of either one of those cars.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen some pics of production GTS's that look good and others are so...so. Could be the angle of the photo I suppose but I hope they do offer something that works for the GTS.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to dredge up an old threat, but I didn't want to re-post either. Are there any updates regarding lowering coils for the GTS two-mode suspension? I haven't heard anything regarding this topic in months.

There's a video of Ralph's GTS that appears to be lowered. SRT owners can opt for the aftermarket if they want to lower the stance of their cars. I wanted to know if the GTS owners have an option, and how it may affect the two-mode shocks.

Reaction score
I hate to dredge up an old threat, but I didn't want to re-post either. Are there any updates regarding lowering coils for the GTS two-mode suspension? I haven't heard anything regarding this topic in months.

There's a video of Ralph's GTS that appears to be lowered. SRT owners can opt for the aftermarket if they want to lower the stance of their cars. I wanted to know if the GTS owners have an option, and how it may affect the two-mode shocks.

SRT have used the Mopar lowering springs with the GTS and it has worked fine with the shocks.

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was quick. Thanks Mark. Do you need to make any additional alignment changes in set up with the lowering springs?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark installed the MCS coil-overs on my SRT. The front was dropped 3/4" and rhe rear at 1". Shock adjustments are more pronounced than the Penske's on my 97. That is probably due to 15 clicks of range versus 22 clicks. They are also easier to adjust. On my street settings the car rides very smooth. Negatives - none other than cost. The flexibility they bring was part of why I choose thr SRT over the GTS.

Reaction score
That's encouraging. Are these lowering springs already available, and are they the same as used for the Gen IV? Or are they Gen V specific?

Surprisingly No, not available for GenV specific yet even though promised. They were using the old Gen3 springs I guess and the part number is not available now I see. :-( I wish Mopar would get moving on something for the GenV, they teased us in Charlotte and now nothing?? Keep calling them and asking for stuff, maybe they will get the hint that we NEED parts for the GenV now!

Reaction score
Mark installed the MCS coil-overs on my SRT. The front was dropped 3/4" and rhe rear at 1". Shock adjustments are more pronounced than the Penske's on my 97. That is probably due to 15 clicks of range versus 22 clicks. They are also easier to adjust. On my street settings the car rides very smooth. Negatives - none other than cost. The flexibility they bring was part of why I choose thr SRT over the GTS.

Thanks Jack for being the one of the first to trust me with the GenV setup :)