Right rear suspension creaking/popping?

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping that someone can assist me in trying to fix a noise coming out of the right rear suspension of my 06 coupe. The noise sounds like a creaking or popping noise and seems to occur when the right rear suspension is unloading, like when I apply the brakes or when transitioning in or out of a turn. It does not make the noise when the car goes over a bump, though.
In trying to chase this down, I have replaced the right rear shock, knuckle, lower control arm ball joint, right half-shaft, and wheel bearing. Based on the correlation of the noise with braking, I then thought it might be a brake pad loose and rattling, so I swapped the pads and rotors between the rear wheels -- no change in the noise.
The creaking sound makes me think it may be something spring-related, but does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this noise?
I'd appreciate any ideas you may have.
Chris

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try trading wheels with someone so that you can also eliminate rim and tire possibilities.

Ted

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I helped Chris bleed his brakes and mine today. His wheels and tires are brand new, so that's not the problem. The sound appears to be coming from underneath the passenger side, and at first I thought it was a driveline issue. Tough to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from. I wonder if it's somewhere inside of all of the wheel well plastic?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to recall someone else complaining about this type of sound in a recent thread and Chuck Tator posted that it had to do with a loose bolt above the rear wheel well insert. I believe he said to remove the insert first and then check it. Do a search using his psoting name and you should find the post.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is Chuck's post:

This is what I have found for that right rear rattle: Remove you right rear inner fender well/skirt and directly above the tire you'll see a bolt hanging down, it will be a 13mm on top, see if that is loose? If so tighten it up and see if your rattle is gone? That bolt has been the source for rattles on 7 or 8 Vipers so far!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bob. That sounds more like a consistent rattle noise, right? Chris' problem sounds like a suspension "clunking" noise that occurs in rapid succession when the suspension is unloaded under heavy braking or heavy deceleration.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the other thread, it was loose. Maybe it came out in Chris's case and when he breaks heavily, etc. it launches and hits against something. Other than the time wasted taking off the inner wheel well/skirt, there is little involved so maybe it's worth it to take a look and see what might be in there. Please let us know.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely worth a look, I'm curious to see what the bolt holds! Maybe whatever two pieces it holds is what is clunking? I doubt the actual bolt is making the noise, but you never know! We'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully his car will be fixed, I'd love to compare his lap times with mine. I've got runflats, he's got new PS2's and a new alignment spec. We typically run similar times otherwise.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is anything special about how the spring mounts? I guess it could be a lower sway bar binding up, too, but I'm pretty sure that was greased and changed.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate when I come across a thread describing an issue I have, but no solution posted. In the interest of closure, here's what fixed it:

More ball joint grease. For some reason, the Dodge parts come dry or partially filled. Chris and I must have used almost an entire tube of grease for upper/lower ball joints on each tire. I'm sure Chris will elaborate more, but after a trip to Palmer Dodge they finally fixed the problem... with more grease. Moral of the story is that the ball joints take a lot more than I would have expected.

viperpalmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chris thanks for giving us a chance to service your vehicle I am glad we could solve your problem for you. If there is anything else I can help you with please don't hesitate to call. I will see you at the Christmas party.
Jared O'Brien

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Jared, I am very relieved that this problem has finally been resolved. Thank you guys for jumping on it immediately and fixing it quickly. See you next weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32