Rims and tires

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noted a wide variation between rim diameters and widths for people road racing Vipers. Some guys have 18" fronts and 17" rears with taller rears to make up the diameter difference. Some use fronts as wide as the rears, and others go skinny all the way 'round.

Can somebody pick apart these combinations and give me a good idea of the effects, or at least the expected effects, of the different combos?

I'm starting to think I might want to commit my badly scarred (hot brake dust eating the clear coat) stock rims to track-only use and pick up some aftermarkets for street use, but if I can find some compelling reasons to go with sizes other than stock, I might just powdercoat the stock ones and purchase track rims. (I love the Purners with the flat black centers...)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 18" wheel has a better turn-in. In some cases the 18" wheels are used because they will allow larger rotors and/or calipers, in addition, an aftermarket racing wheel will have a better offset.

You cannot go wrong with the Purner wheels. John's wheels are maximized for the track. The best stock tires are the old MXX3. When this tire is shaved to 4/32 they are as good as stock tires get. The 17" (3.35 X 35 X 17) rears have a minor advantage because they transfer weight better than the 18" (3.35 or 3.25 x 30 x 18) on the rear. The perfect setup would be 3.25 or 3.35 x 18 x 30 on all four wheels. This setup is not streetable.

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, since I posted this I received a lot of e-mails saying "stick with the 18's". I suppose the question now is width. I talked to John in e-mail and he's recommending a slightly wider-than-stock in front.

Thanks for the reply.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, since I posted this I received a lot of e-mails saying "stick with the 18's". I suppose the question now is width. I talked to John in e-mail and he's recommending a slightly wider-than-stock in front.

Thanks for the reply.

The 18 x 13 wheels are fine for the rear although I did go with the Purner 17 x 13 on the rear. You need a wider then stock rim for the front if you wanna roadrace, the Viper is notorious for pushing into the turns with stock sizes. I went with an 18 x 12 front rim and ran 305/18s (with Hoosiers). SSpeed Racer and I completed the OTC with 335 Pilot Sports all around, it worked well but takes some getting used to because of all the front grip the rear likes to "dance"

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SSpeed Racer and I completed the OTC with 335 Pilot Sports all around, it worked well but takes some getting used to because of all the front grip the rear likes to "dance"

That was a concern of mine, too. I think I should probably upgrade the stock rear brakes before I start adding any grip to the front-end. Thanks Ron.

(Hey, you never sent me a full-size of that chick doing a hand-stand in front of the blue GTS... :D )