Road atlanta Sept 27,28

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone doing Panoz at RA the weekend of the 27th? I hear there is a viper shindig going on autox, car control etc. Wondered if anyone signed up for the track days, I am ready to beat up on some vipers again :D We have between 10-15 z06's showing up to run.

Tim

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim,
Not planned yet, but hoping to. It was fun runnin' with you guys up at VIR. Would love to try out your home track.
Never been, but I've heard its fast like VIR...

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my nemesis ryan94viper is still the champ at road atlanta, although he is not showing up this time, gives me time to practice up!

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this event , drive with instructors only ? Or is it bumper to bumper, or pass on straights only, or timed laps?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive with any passenger. Depending on experience = your group. Touring (beginner)is no passing, other groups are straight away passing only. Any timing would have to be done by you. It is considered a school with instructors watching from the corners.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the srt4 & the viper. We should have the lsd in the neon by then. need to get down to 140 flat in the neon. We are testing it this weekend @ R/A

LethalBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really this event, but any locals go on Friday night to the dragway? Was thinking about test and tune, but will be my first time on strip. Is there a better time than Friday? How packed is it?

See you all at the Rendezvous!
Brad

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad commerce gets pretty crowded, I went last year and got 4 runs in in a couple of hours. Get there really early and you can get in a few quick runs before it gets all riced out.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with the Panoz folks who run the track and event. You must have an IMSA or SCCA license to run on Sunday.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with the Panoz folks who run the track and event. You must have an IMSA or SCCA license to run on Sunday.

Huh? Who did you talk to? My old racing partner works for Panoz, and is the one that organizes the Track Days at Panoz. He never told me that. We used to test and tune on Sunday (yes, we have our SCCA licenses), but there were plenty at the track without licenses. Is Sunday a special event? I thought it was just a normal track day!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe that is incorrect information. TimZ06 and others have been running on Sunday/Panoz and I don't think all of them have their license.

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ are you sure you inquried about sunday the 28th of Sept? Maybe they were thinking about another event.

Tim

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm really glad to hear that. I called Panoz and spoke to a guy named "Ness" or something like that. He was a bit arrogant. I told him that I was attending the Viper event and that's when he gave me the pitch about an SCCA ir IMSA license. I mentioned that I had a VRL license and he said that he didn't know what that was. Just tell me who to sign up with and I'm there with some buddies.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS...yes, I know that the SCCA will give me a license with the VRL license...but I wanted to track the car with some of my friends who do not have their license.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told last week, that you had to have had some track experience at Road Atlanta. I wanted to do the Saturday Viper events and then the Sunday Panoz but they would not allow me without first doing the first school on Saturday.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heer is the deal, if you have NO track experiance you must do Saturdays event. Sunday is for solo drivers who know how to drive. register, tell them whatever they want to hear & show up, I have a call into my guy now to straighten it out. The pukes on the phone constantly give out the wrong info & they are nasty too. I will update asap

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done 4 or 5 driving schools at Sebring and Moroso driving an automatic BMW 530i. Never driven Road Atlanta. Not sure I could drive with the big boys my first time on that track. I'm going to Sebring on the 13th but that will be my first driving event in a Viper that I've owned for less than 4 month.

Question:
Should I stay or should I go now? The Clash 1978-ish

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm really glad to hear that. I called Panoz and spoke to a guy named "Ness" or something like that. He was a bit arrogant. I told him that I was attending the Viper event and that's when he gave me the pitch about an SCCA ir IMSA license. I mentioned that I had a VRL license and he said that he didn't know what that was. Just tell me who to sign up with and I'm there with some buddies.

Oh man, I have to tell Ness that... he was my old racing partner :) In his absence on the board, I'll try to clear this up:

Saturday is for Touring group (very slow, lots of lead/follow, no passing from what I remember), Intermediate B (passing in straights, people fresh from Touring), as well as Intermediate A (people graduating from Intermediate B. Usually faster drivers and cars. If you are too slow, they will demote you to B for safety reasons... coming down the hill towards turn 12, you don't want to run into a guy hitting the brakes or something stupid). On Sunday is TECHNICALLY the advanced group. This is where a lot of testing and tuning is done by SCCA drivers. You can drive on Sunday if they (ie Ness and a few select others... insructors, etc.) decide you have enough experience. They aren't trying to be mean... they are just trying to keep people off the walls. The incidence rate of accidents started increasing, so they had to become more selective.

I'd say that unless you are pretty comfortable on a track with others around you going 140+ mph, DON'T come on Sunday. I thought I was comfortable on the track until people like David Farmer were breathing down my neck :)

I hope Ness didn't offend you too much. He can be like that sometimes, but he honestly is just trying to keep everyone safe! Countless times he's been told that a driver is "experienced," only to find that they make rookie mistakes that run others off the road. So, I can see why he is hesitant at times.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heer is the deal, if you have NO track experiance you must do Saturdays event. Sunday is for solo drivers who know how to drive. register, tell them whatever they want to hear & show up, I have a call into my guy now to straighten it out. The pukes on the phone constantly give out the wrong info & they are nasty too. I will update asap

Who's your guy, Pete? BTW, I STILL have yet to hear anything about my VCA membership, and I faxed it in about 7 months ago!!!

Oh, as for having an SCCA license for track days: I have one, which is exactly why my Viper will never make it onto the track at Road Atlanta. The courts just ruled against one of our fellow Viper drivers. They said that since he has a license, that track days was obviously practice for him to race "semi-professionally." So, they denied his claim when he wrecked his Viper at Road Atlanta. NOT GOOD! I must say that he was a very good driver, too... I rode with him a few times. Road Atlanta is a very unforgiving track...

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I ain't got no license except a license to beat up on you straight line viper boys, see ya'll up at the track!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I ain't got no license except a license to beat up on you straight line viper boys, see ya'll up at the track!

And I am sure you don't want any straight line cause I will kick that butt just like I am goin to do when we show up on the same autocross day :laugh:

p.s. there was a z06 on Hoosiers that was set up by Jerry Onks at the last Chatt. autocross.........sent him packin and I had 5" of cord showing on the front right tire. :)

248rainbowflag-med.jpg

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
autox is a good cure for a hangover...sorry you weren't at the last one when I cured up a big hangover beatin up on your two boys...I'll be glad to take you for a ride at ra tho and sho you the way around! If you want to bring that supercharged viper up I'm sure I can give you a few pointers if you let me take it out for a few laps, you know we pay by the driver n ot the car!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ, you must be 1 hell of a VRL driver. When i was getting into SCCA racing they laughed at me when i told then that i had a VRL liscense, and i would need to follow the rules of getting a SCCA Liscense. If all you have to do is show them your VRL Liscense you might as well get a SCCA Liscense. Florida has alot of activity in the winter.

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi russ oasis, are you bringing that comp coupe to RA, I would like to see what kinda times you can turn, at vir them coupes were puttin the hurt on me real bad!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
autox is a good cure for a hangover...sorry you weren't at the last one when I cured up a big hangover beatin up on your two boys...I'll be glad to take you for a ride at ra tho and sho you the way around! If you want to bring that supercharged viper up I'm sure I can give you a few pointers if you let me take it out for a few laps, you know we pay by the driver n ot the car!

I can't believe you brought this up AGAIN. And, once AGAIN, you forget to mention that you beat Chris and I by only 1.xx seconds, and that Chris and I were both on street tires compared to your race compounds (which, by itself, should net you over two seconds).

A member of the BMW club also told me that YOU helped set up the course, and that YOU had several practice runs before Chris and I even showed up. I wasn't going to bring that up on the Z06 forum thread that you started, because I didn't want to call you out on your own board. But, to come here and try to start something... I'm forced to set the facts straight :) Not to mention that I've driven my Viper for less than 3,000 miles...

I guess you're still sore when all the Vipers beat you at the Macon auto-x when we were all on street tires ;)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A member of the BMW club also told me that YOU helped set up the course, and that YOU had several practice runs before Chris and I even showed up.

Surely they were mistakin on that. I don't think Tim would talk all that smack and not mention that he helped set up the course and got preruns on it. That's hard to believe. Tim ??????