Roadsters at VIR

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by Barrels, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Barrels

Barrels Viper Owner

I bought an 03 a few weeks back to use as a track car. I am signed up for a track day at Virginia International Raceway this weekend, but am worried I may not pass their rules for convertibles. The event organizer said I just need to pass the broomstick rule. But I have also seen info online that seems to say VIR doesn't allow stock viper roll bars.

I have never seen a convertible get turned away from any of the other tracks I have run. However, I don't want to drive 3 hours to find out the hard way. I am sure someone on here has taken an SRT/10 roadster to VIR. I would appreciate your input.

2. slaughterj

slaughterj Enthusiast

Hardtops have been needed for ViperDays at VIR, not sure about other events though.

3. 01sapphirebob

01sapphirebob Enthusiast

I can hear it now..... I would say if this car is going to be a "track car" there are many that will recommend that you just install roll bars now and save yourself the trouble. The "Roll Hoops" on the SRT/10 verts are not really any kind of roll over protection.

4. Dom426h

Dom426h Viper Owner

5. Barrels

Barrels Viper Owner

Will do the roll bar at some point. I just won't be able to do it before this weekend.

I'm going to lower the seat with a 2" kit so I can pass the broomstick test. I am 6'3" so i need that anyway. I'll do the roll bar before the next track day. Thanks for the help and advice.

6. venomred

venomred Viper Owner

Isn't this weekends' event with Trackdaze? Check w/them about rollbar...I have had a friend run on '08 'vert @ VIR with NARRA but only in the HDPE classes; not TT or Competition classes...

7. Barrels

Barrels Viper Owner

Just for future reference:

A stock Viper SRT-10 Roadster is allowed at VIR as long as you can pass the broomstick test.

I would NOT have been able to pass if I didn't install the 2" seat drop kit. The first instructor I had didn't make it a full lap. We got black flagged at the oak tree because his helmet was several inches over the roll hoop. They found a much shorter instructor and I was good to go for the rest of the day.

8. gb66gth

gb66gth Viper Owner

I purchased a hardtop from AP Engineering, just for track days.
    It's seems to work everywhere I go.
    However, at some point I wouldlike to install the Autoform rollbar.

9. PirateViper

PirateViper Enthusiast

I think I understand but what exactly is the broomstick test and how is it done?

10. Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse VCA Member - West

Broomstick laid from the top of the windshield pillar to the top of the roll hoop. Helmut under that imaginary plane , you are okay.

11. Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy VCA Venom Member - Great Lakes

Barrels, I understand the test...the problem is those "hoops" behind the seats on stock SRT-10 verts are NOT roll bars!!!! If you plan future events with your current set-up, you may find that Viper-aware tech inspectors may indeed flunk you without the broomstick test.

Be safe...get a real rollbar soon!!