Rock Scratch On Headlight? Sand/Repair?

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys ...

Picked up a 1/2 - 1" long light rock scratch on my drivers side headlight when bringing the car home several weeks back. Its now bugging me, so I figured I'd ask and see if it can be fixed?

I know there are people that can sand the headlight, then polish it ... Would this be the route to go? Anyone ever try this on their own?

Here's a Pic! Thanks Guys & Gals!

You must be registered for see images attach

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats pretty deep. Not even sure sanding would get that completely out. Might want to see how much a used headlight is.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really being able to feel how deep the scratch is. I think any good body shop can wet-sand and buff it out. Please remember I said a good body shop.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try some Meguiars plastx by hand and see if that takes care of it.

Tried something similar originally -- Didn't touch it :(

Thats pretty deep. Not even sure sanding would get that completely out. Might want to see how much a used headlight is.

On dbay, they are going for $600 (ish) for used, and $800 (new) ... Not sure its worth it at this point.

Not really being able to feel how deep the scratch is. I think any good body shop can wet-sand and buff it out. Please remember I said a good body shop.

Yeah, been thinking about this as well ...

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did this on my Gen 2 because they had some scratches and trash on lenses. They turned out pretty good but I still need to finish with some high grit sand paper to remove the tiny scratches. I used a 3M kit on each headlight. Just takes time. It's worth sanding it out if not just polishing it will should help.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should be able to polish that out. Take your time. It's a lot cheaper to buy some polishes than replace a factory headlight. Can you feel it with your fingernail?

One thing to remember is not to heat the plastic too much. You don't want to melt or stain the plastic.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. wet sand to polish. start with 2000. if that don't work, drop to 1500 or 1200 etc and work back up to 2000, then, probably 2-3 steps of polish, then sealant.

call me if you need any assistance.
-chip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang