Roe for 3-days-blown tranny?

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I went and picked up my 02' FE from ART on thurs. I had a Roe put on w/headers, W/M..etc and also changed out my motor mounts and transmission mount. Ive had the car for 3 days and have had more fun the legally allowable. :)

The problem is today going down the highway it slipped out of 5th. I thought no big deal I may have bumped it. Then it did it again.
A few miles later I was downshifting to get ready to exit and it wouldn't go into any gear. So I coasted until I got to a Dominoes pizza parking lot. Then slowly slipped it into 1st but it was super stiff. I slowly drove back home and it was very stiff when i shifted.

Im thinking synchros...but im wondering if it has something to-do with the new transmission mount?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it shift fine for the 3 days of illegal fun and then start the problem?

Other comments:

-> Could the shifter be rubbing on the console?

-> When was the last fluid change?

-> Howz the clutch? Clutch slave? Any hydraulic fluid leakage under the bell housing?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My trans did the same thing... ended up being the syncros and some other major probs inside. Ended up just putting in a newer T56 for much cheaper than the rebuild would have costed.

Search my older posts for more info on that.

Best of luck.

:usa:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly sounds like synchros, but for all of them to go at once is suspect. Usually you'll have one set go - at least that's how it always worked out for me from 'wear and tear'. If all of the synchros went at once, I'd be wondering if the wrong tranny fluid is in there... But, the '02 cars weren't anywhere nearly as sensitive to tranny fluid as the older cars.

Having it jump out of 5th is rather suspect - that could be a bent or worn shift fork. But, since the whole tranny is acting up, that points to a global cause.

Did you notice any clutch smell (ie., overloaded clutch slipping)? If you heated your clutch up enough, you could be stuck with the problem you're describing. Did it get better after the car cooled down a bit? If it's your clutch overheating/overloading, it should get better once things cool down.

One way to help narrow that one down is to vary your RPM's as close to the normal shift RPM as possible and keep a little pressure on the shifter as you coax it into the gear - when you get your RPM's just right you should just pop right into the gear you want. If the clutch is overheated, that trick will usually work. If your synchros are shot, that won't work well at all and you'll grind gears...

There's also the off chance that the new tranny/motor mounts have your shifter rubbing up against something. It's just a bit weird that it would be fine for a few days and then all of a sudden go bad - unless one of the mounts broke loose.

Last edited:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my 02 trans rebuilt/upgraded with parts fron Donato enginering....Got rid of all the cheap crap parts that was in there like the plastic fork pads and 5th/6th gears..
Just need to get it back in the car now....

OP
OP
S

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I am in D/FW Im going to take it over to Keith Laxson this week and have him look at it.
Im praying its the clutch. I test drove it yesterday it went 1-5 fine but would not go into 6th
in neutral in made am odd "whirring" sound. oh well we will see.