Roe Front Brake Upgrade for 01-02

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<H1>Roe offers the following: 14" Complete Front Brake Upgrade, Bolt-On kit, 2001-2002

• 2- 14", two piece rotors, slotted, heat treated, and stress relieved
  • 2- aluminum rotor hats, mounted
  • 2- SRT-10 front brake calipers, red or black, with Viper script, four piston design, made by Brembo
  • 1- set, PFC pads
  • 1- set, caliper relocation brackets
  • 1- set, stainless steel brake lines, front
  • 1- set, mounting hardware
Having read the Stoptech article on ABS brakes, I am concerned about how changing to this will affect the balance / stopping performance of the car. Anyone have any experience or data?

Thanks,
Pat
</H1>

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the guy selling the upgraded single piston set up will chime in on this one. If your car is strictly a street car, then the stock set up is more than adequate. Now, if you track your car regularly, then that is a different story.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat, This is what you need :)

Tom's kit won't work on ABS Vipers, ABS already has 43mm rear calipers, plus bolt pattern wrong. As you can see on my web site,
I offer Tom's kits.

I offer FULL Big Brake kits.
201.jpg

21.jpg

www.davesbigbrakes.com

Thanks Dave
858-382-4713

Last edited:

CFRA7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<H1>Having read the Stoptech article on ABS brakes, I am concerned about how changing to this will affect the balance / stopping performance of the car. Anyone have any experience or data?

</H1>

Can you point me to the Stoptech article? I'm new...

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does moving a late gen 2s front brakes to the rear, then putting gen 3s on the front change the braking balance. I would think this would add a lot more rear braking?

OP
OP
P

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does moving a late gen 2s front brakes to the rear, then putting gen 3s on the front change the braking balance. I would think this would add a lot more rear braking?

Here is the Gen II standard brakes:

Front Brakes, Size & Type 13.0 x 1.26 (330.5 x 32)
vented disc power assisted w/four-piston Brembo fixed caliper
Swept Area 304.8 sq. in. (1966 sq. cm)

Rear Brakes, Size & Type 13.0 x 0.87 (330.5 x 22)
vented disc power assisted w/single piston Brembo sliding caliper
Swept Area 244.3 sq. in. (1576 sq. cm)

The 14 inch Gen 3 would therefore have a larger swept area, and clamping force in the front, and the front Gen 2 brakes would likewise have a larger clamping force in the rear. Looks like more stopping power, but I'm not sure how the ABS logic would work with this combination.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in a practical sense you are still close enough to the original configuration that the ABS will handle it. After all, the master cylinder is the same between Gen 2 with ABS and Gen 3, so at least the "human activitated" portion is the same. If the "human" effort is the same, then the pumps and check valves that manage fluid pressure can't be too different. Plus you have Dave, Baz, and City driving around with ABS cars that were converted.

For ultimate braking, the Gen 2 still may not be quite the same as Gen 3. I think Gen 2 is 3-channel, so ABS diddles the rear braking identically; in Gen 3 it would ****** each rear brake independently.

Greater clamping force is nice when you need more, but once each caliper can lock the wheel, more clamping force does... what? You still have to have the balance.

It will feel a little better, nontheless. The ratio of master cylinder volume to caliper volume goes down, so you'll have more pedal travel and can modulate easier until the ABS kicks in. Overall larger swept area means pad temperatures and braking will be more consistent, and by avoiding temperature excusions, and the pads should also last longer.

And can't argue it looks better.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Roe front upgrade done on my 02RT-10 and put 13" slotted rotors for the back and kept the stock calipers on the back with brakeman #3 pads. I put a significant amount of trackmiles on my car. I have been very happy with the Roe upgrade .
Say goodbye to brake fade forever. the car has been very stable with heavy braking on the track. No regrets.