Roe racing ported heads and 710 cam plus sct tune????

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
takes a while to get to hawaii...I dont care to much how it sounds. just how it performs! the competition coupe cam sounds pretty awesome. Gonna be hard to one up the sound

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well of course, thats the ultimate goal...but since I can't ride with you, all I'll have to go on is you dyno sheet and a video of the car idling/driving around.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well im gonna do quartermile passes as well. Ive been keeping a log since 2007.

Intake/arrow roller rockers averaged 12.1 at 119 Best was 11.97 at 122

Deleted cats and averaged 12.0 at 120. Best was 11.78 at 122

Titanium exhast/findanza flywheel/underdrive pully/170 thermostat/sct tune. Averaged 11.9 at 121. Best was 11.67 at 123

Comp coupe cam and custom sct tune. Averaged 11.7 at 122. Best to date is 11.55 at 124.9 mph

All on street tires and 1.9-2.0 60 foots at 1000 feet elevation in 75 degree weather

Cant wait to collect data from the 710 camshaft!

Last edited:

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Twister, do you have a sound or video clip of your car with the comp cam installed? I'd love to hear what that sounds like.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a good vid somewere. Ill see if i can find it

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
parts came in last night. waiting on tune via email and sct from Sean

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im planning on makeing a new video ot it today.

Parts get installed tomorrow. Should have a dyno of the 710 camshaft only results this monday.

Was gonna cost me 1550$ if I waited to january but I said I would pay a lil more for a right now install so its $1850 total.
Other shops were telling me 1800 plus to begin with so it all works out.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I posted on here but I just saw this thread and I should say something. I should even do a thread of build but choose not to.

I blew up my engine during a HPDE and I had oil starvation. :( It gave an advantage of getting new goodies and the 710cam 10.2:1 piston and forged rods. I have stock headers, mopar race exhaust (no cats), K&N intake, BBK 67mm twin TB, mild bowl porting on the heads, Beehive springs, Chromoly flywheel, Spec stage 3+ (think that’s right) along with SCT tune from Roe racing.

I had a machine shop doing all the machining and balancing but I assembled it all together only because I have no trust in anybody's hand. I dynoed 585rwhp @94 degrees and 80% humid. Sean redid the maps after I sent the A/F ratio and drivability is a lot better! Seems like it may gain a couple ponies.

I love the cam!!! Sounds beautiful! Exhaust very powerful! It’s just a little hard to drive only because you can't keep the gas at the same position (cruising speed) in 1st,2nd,3rd and not noticeable in 4th gear. 6th and 5th gear is awesome! I still get about the same mileage. I may post a video of me driving it. I wish I went up to 10.6:1 since I'm not gonna go with gen 4 heads for a while.

I'd say go for the 710 cam what roe racing claim about up to 70rwhp is TRUE!!!! I gained about 140rwhp at almost the same temp and Humidity. The way you drive, you won't have any issue with drivability lol.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you didnt gain 70rwhp from cam alone when going to 10.2:1 plus head work......

if you cant get that cam to be perfectly streetable, you have a tune problem.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
O really?! why can't I? It's very streetable and the only thing is that when you mix big TB and big cam, its never gonna act like stock form. I did have dyno my old setup before at a different dyno shop which is the same Dynojet's. One was single the other was dual. Maybe that's why. I thought I had around 475-480rwhp with bolts on but it showed up as 460rwhp.

I have put on probably 1500miles on it. Runs great! Just that jerking when you try to keep a steedy speed at low speed anything below 40mph in low gear. It has nothing to do with the tune. If I got rid of the BBK then it probably would eliminate it.

I am not sure what I all gained from each mods but it all varies when adding everything at once.

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nearly identical spec. Comp cam, GG heads, Manley 202-160 valves, Roller Rs, M&M headers, tune by A&C. :headbang:

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks plum, I gave Sean an email to see what his input is.

Atppilot, yours sounds great but not quite as close to the 710. Mine actually has more lift which you can tell by hearing it but of course it's louder ;). So I can't say the cam are close to the same. If I got time today, I'll post the video.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn! That sounds great! I just wonder how much difference the heads, valves and rockers might make in the sound.

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compression? Yes. Greg milled the heads. I think he said it should be around 10 or 10.5:1 can't remember.
Specs:
Roe 710 = lift intake .596 exhaust .595, lobe sep 114, duration 244 intake 246 exhaust
Comp grind 3634/3635 = lift intake .601 exhaust .606, lobe sep 114, duration 232 intake 236 exhaust
I had 2 degrees advance ground.

Last edited:

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car sounds great Atppilot. That idle is rockin'. Thanks for posting specs on the cam differences. Based on the I/E durations, I would guess that the Roe 710 would make power further up on the powerband versus the Comp Grind.

I may have missed it, but have you posted a dyno chart? I am interested in seeing the torque/power curves.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jeff, thanks for uploading the video. I can't believe you blew up your motor at the track. That is terrible. I haven't seen you or your car since the summer of '09. Looks and sounds like your car is ready to go though. Hope to see you soon.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Nice vids guys and thanks for the imput...

Dropped her off for surgery an hour ago. Pick up and dyno scheduled for monday.

Cash84 man nice to here. I have kn intake/arrow rockers/titanium exhaust with no cats/findanza flywheel/smaller underdrive pully and sct tune. Pre 710 cam number is 480 rwhp and 520 tq on the stock cam/486 rwhp and 435 rwt on the competition coup camshaft. (also have stock headers like you)

I opted not to do head porting as i will get roe racing fully done heads next year.

After seeing your numbers its gonna be quite interesting to see what numbers she makes with the 710 camshaft and the thinner gen 4 head gaskets. Honestly after your numbers Im starting to belieave that a 70 rwhp gain may actually be possible

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you didnt gain 70rwhp from cam alone when going to 10.2:1 plus head work......

if you cant get that cam to be perfectly streetable, you have a tune problem.

He went from 460 to 585 rwhp. Thts a 125 rwhp gain. The compression and very mild head work would be at the most 50-70 of that gain wouldnt you say?

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jeff, thanks for uploading the video. I can't believe you blew up your motor at the track. That is terrible. I haven't seen you or your car since the summer of '09. Looks and sounds like your car is ready to go though. Hope to see you soon.

Yeah, it's been a long time! I haven't been doing a lot in the IL viper club lately since I've been busy over the summer also the fact that the engine blew :( Very happy how it turned out but I had to buy another block because it got destoryed. That was the most expensive part I had to buy lol. It happens and learned to get a 08 swing arm before I track the Viper again. Going to the winter party in Feb?