Rookie Viper Days / Putnam Park Experience

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I just completed the Viper Days rookie course at Putnam Park and found it to be a very well run operation.

Everyone in my group followed the rules, we all had fun and no one received a scratch. A few of the more advanced groups weren't so lucky, but with one exception the few mishaps were minor and in no case did anyone get hurt.

While it isn't for anyone that wants a garage queen (which I have nothing against), but rather for someone that wants to learn a bunch about driving a Viper and wants to use their car to do it.

Prep is key, especially brake fluid change, brake pad inspection along with properly filled fresh engine oil. I installed 6 points on Jon B's recommendation (along with a 2000+ oil pan) and am very glad I did. One less thing to worry about and a much better "seat of the pants" feel.

In the rookie class, I had no fear of other drivers causing an accident. Any potential body damage would only have been caused by me and thankfully Putnam Park is an excellent track in that only the last turn is anywhere near a guardrail. Hit that one right and you're pretty much home free as far as risk goes.

One word of caution. While I highly recommend having a ride with your instructor driving (in his car so you don't worry), it recalibrates your senses for his ability and his tire adhesion, so when you then get in your car and try it "like he did" you could end up in the grass. I know from experience...

If you have a instructor you click with, great (I did) but if you find yours "incompatible", next run politely ask Courtney for a switch. It's very important to have an instructor that understands your comfort level and then pushes you slightly beyond each time. An overly aggressive instructor could make it uncomfortable.

Car gets very dirty, brake pads probably lost I'd guess 1/2 their life, and the front tires maybe 15% life loss. Fascia had no chips that I'm aware of. Car drove home just like it drove there, nothing different beyond a bit of tire noise as the gum balls that the slicks leave on the track wear down.

The most surprising thing for me is how hard you can step on the brakes (and you have to if you're going to run) without skidding, how strong the deacceleration is and how well they work. I'd never guess that you could use stock brakes (and stock pads) so hard, so long without fade. Previous muscle cars I've owned couldn't complete a lap without total brake fade.

Bottom line, while many of us rookies were a bit leery before the event, all of us were very happy we did it. Thanks to Skip and Courtney and the Indiana / Kentucky VCA for promoting it!</FONT f>

S

SUN RA KAT

Would the stock brake pads be good for Viper Days? I have EBC Green Pads on now, but have my new stock pads that only have 2 miles on them in storage, and I was thinking a temporary switch might work and then put on my EBC Green Pads when I drive home with what's left of the stock pads. (I suspect that I would be uncomfortable with running corners anywhere close to my Viper's limits and should have lots of stock pad left.)

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Stock pads were fine for me. After 2 days of ViperDays there was plenty of material left.

Tried porterfield R4-S pads on the same track when the were first being recommended as the "dustless" way to go. In one day they went from "new to none" with black brake dust all over the side of the car.

I would not use the "dustless" pads on a track.

Don't ride the brake by braking long & lightly.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with everything Marv said.

The stock pads are actually a pretty good track pad. Get good and then step up to an all out race pad and look out! They advise you shouldn't street a race pad but I think that's just for liability. Although I don't make a habit of it, I have had race pads on the street and had no probs.

Congrats on losing your road cherry.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After Putnam I would recommend Brakeman 3's. I had stoptech rotors but the stock pads just would not cut it. I had the 3's put on and the difference was incredible. Entering turn one I could hit the binders at the 200 foot point running 125 and slow to 80 by the 100 foot point, the front rubber continually emitting that steady squeal at near lockup. That kind of stopping power gave me great confidence.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock pads are OK for track use most places, but I would recommend against them at Road America or TWS where you have very heavy braking from long stretches at 130-140 mph. I've cooked them so hard I got pad fade - characterized by a high, hard pedal with very little slowing. Next session out, they started feeling very rough and made a nasty groaning sound at light pedal applications going slowly. I pulled them out and 2 of the 4 pads had the lining delaminated from the backing plate.

Brakeman 3's are a decent compound. Very easy to modulate, but not so grippy that you overslow or lock up the car. The best thing about them is the price!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ron, for your general info...if your Wife gets tired of seeing the "track day grin"that you had on ypur face all weekend, I can recommend a great plastic surgeon to try to get you back to baseline with a few frowns !!!

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock pads are ok for beginners. As you increase your speeds you will want a race pad. I've used Brakeman 3's there fine. I would not use them on the street! The work good at high temp's but they will eat your rotors running cold (street). I would not use EBC Green's on the track they will go away fast! I just dusted a new set of performance pads in one day. I can't think of the name right now (Porterfield R-4's) but they are similar to Brakeman
3's. Point is, stock pads fad when they get hot. EBC Green's fad when hot but are cleaner on the wheels for street driving. I use them and do recommend them.
Good luck,
Dan
(tied for first place, Super Stock West)
smile.gif

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all of the Viper Days Rookies at Putnam Park-

Viper Days personally wants to thank you all for participating in our Putnam Park event. If it was not for the new drivers and the repeat drivers we could not be here! More importantly, we hope you learned a great deal about your cars maintenance & potential as well as your ability!
Hope you all had a great time and hope to see you at another Viper Days event soon!

See you at the VOI.7!!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CT, the maintenance part is a good point. I come to Viper Days not only to improve my driving, but also to learn how to take care of and work on the car. I have never had any tech, mechanic, or vendor say no when I asked a question. The amount of knowledge available at the events is incredible. I know I am investing not only in driving the car more safely, but also in learning how to keep it mechanically at its best.

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We hope that all Viper owners have the opportunity to come to an event, come to spectate and to see what is up. The knowledge that you can acquire from all those present is worth the drive. Everyone will be frank on open and tell you what is working for them and what has not. The vendors present:
Archer Racing Accessories, Bobby Archer Motorsports, Autoform, Stop Tech to name a few, are here to help and assist everyone. Even if your question is about a competitors product... it makes no difference. An informed Viper owner is a winner.
Come see us at the VOI.7 we will have a booth at the track and at the hotel!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96