Rotors - Options, etc.?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need any and all info on rotors. IIRC, the last time I had new pads installed, my Viper tech said I'd need new rotors in the future.
1. How much mileage should one expect out of rotors?
2. What options are there out there for rotors? Prices?
3. If I change these, what else should be done at the same time?
4. What general info should I know about rotors?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need any and all info on rotors. IIRC, the last time I had new pads installed, my Viper tech said I'd need new rotors in the future.
1. How much mileage should one expect out of rotors?
2. What options are there out there for rotors? Prices?
3. If I change these, what else should be done at the same time?
4. What general info should I know about rotors?

1-It varies dramaticly depending on how you drive and how much you track your car, I got 20 track days out of a set of 14.2" stoptechs (fronts)
2-I would go with the Stoptech slotted rotors, you would need the 13" ones to fit in the stock brake setup, they're pretty reasonable, prices are at www.stoptech.com , AND Stoptech has GREAT customer service.
3-Depending on if your gonna track the car I'd get better pads (Brakeman 3 for non-abs cars), change the brake fluid to a hi-temp (Motul or SRF), stainless steel lines would be good and if you're gonna track it maybe some brake ducting.
4-There are single piece and two piece, two piece betting the better of the 2, slotted or drilled is pretty much a personal preference.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with SoCal Rebell. My additions:

1. Why does the Tech think the rotors need to be replaced? Assuming the same type of use then the longevity will be the same for the same type of mettalurgy, cooling, thickness of rotor that you will use as a replacement. Improve those 3 and longevity also improves.

2. Other than Stoptech, you can look into Baer Eradispeeds (street only), Coleman, Brembos, Performance Friction. Check on the marketplace section of this site.

3. You can do a lot if you want to spend more but not necessary if you're not going to track it.

4. drill,zinc plate,(These first two are for street only) slot, Anodize 2 piece alum hats, , increase diameter.

For Tracking: plenty of info if you do a search.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheap me - for the amount of track time you see, I'd get a set of stockers for under $100 each (fronts) and be done with it. Your rears should be fine.

Now if you want style points.......

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info all.

Cheap me - for the amount of track time you see, I'd get a set of stockers for under $100 each (fronts) and be done with it. Your rears should be fine.

Now if you want style points.......

Excellent, sounds like my likely solution :)

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Why does the Tech think the rotors need to be replaced?

Been a while, IIRC, something about having turned them, resurfaced them for the ebc greens, etc., can't recall exactly what he said, but I have ~42k on them...

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've went through more engines than rear rotors. Still on the original rotor with 20K miles. I think the hat portion will rust away before the metal at the brake pad surface wears out. The fronts I would just get the stock rotor or the Stop Tech aero that fits the stock caliper.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron and others, what pads would you recommend (I have searched and confusion has set in) on an ABS car? I used Brakeman 3's with my stock rotors and will be upgrading to Stoptech Aeros for VIR. I also read that pads that are too hard can destroy the Stoptechs.

thanks

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance Friction 01 compound front / Brakeman #3 rears for ABS cars. Rotor friendly, lots of torque, no fade, higher temp rating than the BM3s.... get from Sean Roe! We ran the 8 hour enduro on that pad, and one VERY FAST T1 driver is using that combination at VIR putting down near record speeds in his first race.....

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Pagid Black RS14 and they stop like a ****. Gottem on Stoptech calipers. Dunno if the make them for stock calipers.

Yup, the Pagid Blacks do stop like a ****. I prefer these pads to the Brakeman 3 on abs equipted cars because they are very "grabby", how many flat spots you get with the Pagids Chuck?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many flat spots you get with the Pagids Chuck?

LOL I managed an entire day at Sebring last month without a single flat spot. Good thing too because I had a set of brand new 335s on the front of #34. Now at least I'll be able to go one more lap without a 'thumpa-thumpa-thumpa'. LOL

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could use a bar of soap for pads on the stock rears, that's about how much good they are. My rear pads are EBC reds from GreatBrakes Steve Pasztor 972-743-9443.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas