royal purple eng oil in 08?

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had a demonstration on mobil 1 and royal purple on friction,they used a machine and compared it to mobil 1 and royal purple out performed it by far,what do you guys think about royal purple?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no one here has anything to say about royal purple come on guys

If you can be a little more descriptive on the demonstration you witnessed, you may get a few opinions. Most people on this forum have either never used Royal Purple in their Vipers or have used it but have no objective evidence (test results, inspections, etc.) to form an opinion.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should PM Tom. He knows all about oils and can give expert advice on Royal Purple. I would like to see what he has to say.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While RP might outperform Mobile 1 in some tests, it is not important to me because:

1. I change the oil and filter often;

2. Mobile 1 is recommended by Dodge for the Viper; and

3. Royal Purple is quite a bit more expensive.

So, I doubt you will have any meaningful effects, except not using the mfg. recommended oil.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car came with a very valuable engine warranty and I’d think hard about using anything other than the factory oil and giving Dodge a reason to deny a warranty claim. How much of a benefit can there be from a different brand of modern oil compared to the warranty risk?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have seen the royal purple and mobile 1 demonstration... Made my eyes open.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On that video demo, how do we REALLY know thats Mobil 1 they are comparing? Just because its a Mobil 1 bottle taped over does not neccessarily mean its Mobil 1 inside. Yes, RP is good but this is a marketing 101 video for RP, and remember, everything is a scam, until proven otherwise. If RP was that much better than Mobil 1, why is it most pro racing series use Mobil 1 over RP? Nasty Car, IRL, CART, ALMS, etc. Marketing money I guess.:dunno:

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i saw it in person i brough mobil 1 oil and regular 10/30 oil and the mobil 1 oil didnt do any better than regular 10/30 i was surprised.i m a loyal mobil 1 oil guy but when i saw this test i was sold.

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see a demo between Amsoil, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple. For the record, I've only used Mobil 1 in all my vehicles including the lawn tractor and snowblower. But once I've used up the Mobil 1 I have bought on sale, I'm switching to Amsoil.

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royal Purple Info

As you may know, Royal Purple is well known in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something AMSOIL, Inc. chooses not to use in their oil formulation. One of Amsoil's big selling points is extended drain intervals, such as our 25,000 mile and 35,000 mile oil change intervals. Some additive chemicals may cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.
Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oil producers. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil formulations at these higher levels.
Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on Royal Purple involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to the AMSOIL TRO with only a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the AMSOIL TRO left a .41mm scar and the Royal Purple oil left a .66mm scar. The lower the scar damage number the better! There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.
Note: This information was provided by AMSOIL, Inc. Tech Department. An independent lab tested the Royal Purple 20W-50 racing oil against the AMSOIL 20W-50 racing oil. The results are posted above. Test results found Moly in the Royal Purple oil sample.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory requires an API certified fully synthetic oil of the proper viscosity, period. Factory fill is Mobil 1 but it's not required. Not using Mobil 1 will NOT violate the warranty; the oil just has to meet the above requirements.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BZZZZZT!
BZZZZZT!
BZZZZZT!

Error. That is the Falex tester, a machine originally designed for grease additive evaluations. It has since been shown not very useful, even to evaluate grease. Furthermore, it is sensitive to non-standard chemistry, meaning you can put bleach in the reservoir and it will "pass."

This circus test has been around for years and it is nice to see that RP has gone to great lengths to make it look modern. However, it still has absolutely no relevance to engine oils and is not part of any engine oil testing program. Think about it - the oil industry spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on bench tests that technical societies agree on, and then still run many dyno tests. You really think they're behind the curve and that RP's guys can simply run this quick test?

I won't comment on RP oil yet. But, I would take RP's use of this test as a very serious blow to their credibility. As I said, the test has been around for years, has been put to sleep by the industry and current technical societies, and if RP had any contact with the real world, they know this. So to resurrect it and bring it to a public forum where the average consumer doesn't know any better is intentionally fooling you. Now you decide about their oil....

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now a comment about their oil. I see above that RP uses moly disulphide. Moly disulphide is used in grease because it is a solid and doesn't dissolve in the oil. But in a grease application it kind of doesn't matter because the grease "keeps it in place."

For engine oil, that is stupid. It will settle in low spots and if picked up, stay in the filter. Cummins (or maybe Cat) totally disallowed moly additives because another marketer did the same and it cost many people many expensive truck engines.

The correct chemistry is organic moly such as moly dithiocarbamate or dithiophosphate. These are soluble in the oil and do not settle out. Again, RP should have formulators that know the difference and risks. I'd hate to think that they added the disulphide anyway just because the marketing guy wants to be different. If they really are using disulphide, stay away.

Last edited:

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sent an e-mail to RP with the following question, "Does your motor oil include moly disulphide as an additive?"

I received the following response:
RP does not use any solids in the oil - including molybdenum disulfide, graphite, teflon, etc. - our motor oils do contain a liquid synthetic moly in a small amount - roughly 100 ppm, but it is part of an automotive package from one of the largest additive suppliers in the world. This same component is used in several hundred motor oils made by some of the majors and independents alike.
Have a great day.
Kyle Neal
Technical Sales Representative
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, Texas 77365
[email protected]

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good. At levels of 100 ppm (parts per million) the moly is only there as an anti-oxidant (prevents the oil from thickening and turning to goo when hot.) For friction reduction, levels need to be 600 to 1200 ppm.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, if you are changing your oil every 3k mi. or so, this is all largely irrelevant.

There is really no reason to use Amsoil or RP, etc. as all are more expensive and will not give your motor any appreciable benefits beyond Mobil 1.

If you are just bored, then maybe this makes sense. A very good quality oil is all that is need.

Mobil 1 is readily available everywhere, reasonably priced and recommended for our Vipers. Btw, I have no affiliation with Mobil 1!!

OP
OP
A

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been a mobil 1 user since early 90s,what ever oil i use i change my oil every 3000 miles ,i drive my cars hard and it gets driven in 90-100 degrees of weather and it gives me peace of mind changing earlier,i will start using rp,i think mobil 1 oil is great but i think rp is better from the tests i saw in person.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marvel Mystery oil used to do that same demonstration at State Fairs to sell their products.

It is mostly a dog and pony show to sell their product. It only measures one characteristic of their additives.

Kind of a Carney show.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has worked for Lubrizol corporation for almost 20 years, and he swears by Royal Purple. He runs it in all of his cars including his 8 second 67 camaro.

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That "demonstration" con has been around for years. Every engine oil, or oil additive salesperson has done that smoke and mirror bit in one form or another. Meaningless drivel designed to extract the cash from your wallet, not get a truly superior product to market.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using Royal ******* in my farm tractor. Anyway, the radiator blew today while plowing, so I figured I would just transfer some of that Royal Miracle to the coolant system to limp home.

Every thing was going well when the Royal Screech fluid I use in the brakes started smoking. I had a can of WD-Royal, so I sprayed things down and continued on.

When the PTO hitch broke crossing the creek, I was able to get 'er put back together with some JB Royal Weld. It was getting dark, and good think I had my DuraRoyal Flashlight batteries all fresh.

Grandma saw my troubles when I was pulling up, and had a cold Royal BS ready for me. Sun will come up tomorrow shortly. Gotta go.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, if you are changing your oil every 3k mi. or so, this is all largely irrelevant.

There is really no reason to use Amsoil or RP, etc. as all are more expensive and will not give your motor any appreciable benefits beyond Mobil 1.

If you are just bored, then maybe this makes sense. A very good quality oil is all that is need.

Mobil 1 is readily available everywhere, reasonably priced and recommended for our Vipers. Btw, I have no affiliation with Mobil 1!!

Actually, when the API service symbol changed from SG to SH to SJ to SL to SM, which covers the time Vipers have been produced, the difference has become large enough that Gen 1 cars might want to pay attention. API SG and SH oils had 50% more anti-wear additive than current API SM oils. It's mostly OK since the real need is for sliding lifter cams, but all Vipers have had roller lifters. However, if you rebuild your engine, a new API SM oil makes for a poor oil to break the engine in.

The additive in question contains phosphorus and zinc; the OEMs believe the phosphorus slowly poisons the catalytic converter over the now-required 100,000+ mile life requirement.

Diesel engine oils, motorcycle oils, and "hot rod" oils have higher antiwear additive levels. I think there are already enough racers and engine builders with problems caused by modern oils that they won't use off-the-shelf Mobil anymore. By the time API SN (or whatever the next one is called) comes out, I suspect the major oil brands will begin a second marketing push with a much broader definition of "old car" oils.