RPM can't pass 3 rpm limit

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RPM can't pass 3000 rpm limit

hello every body,
Last Saturday i went to a dealar in Bedford MA to check an 08 viper coupe. When i went there i asked the guy for a test drive. The guy said the battery is dead and he needs to charge the battery because the car has been parked inside the show room before the winter.

After charging the battery, the guy wormed up the engine for 10 minutes.

i got inside the car for test drive and saw the check engine light is on. I asked the guy did u see that light when u turned the viper on ??. he said: "oh realy, i did not pay attention to that".

1st gear, the RPM can't pass the 3000 rpm limit and the same thing with 2nd gear.

Gave it full throughtel and it is the same story again, the RPM goes slowly up and can not pass the 3 rpm limit.

turned the viper off and fired it up again but still the same story.

I was like What the heck !! what is happining ????

The guy said that after he bought the car from an auction the car was taken to a dodge dealer and passed a full inspection with no problems.

""""""""
So, what is wrong with this Viper ?? any though?
Iam new to the viper, i have never owned one before.
Viper is my dream car.
Please guys help me, i wanna be a viper owner and join the club.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now i am waiting the guy from the dealer to call me back and tell me what is happening.

BTW if any body live nearby and can check out the viper for me, please let me know.
I live in Orange CT, the dealer is 130 miles away from me. Also if any viper expert from CT can come with me please let me know. i will offer a free lunch !!, lol
I have a challenger SRT and have never had is problem.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Several things come to mind: Cam sensor, injector issue both well known. Also, TPS. Dealer's scan tool should quickly sort out problem.

What color is the car (my "batch" theory) and what was build date??

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Challenger-Viper,

sure sounds like that vipers in "limp" mode. My guess is a cam sensor problem. If he doesn't have a scan tool, they can cycle the key and pull up the code in the odometer.

Also, why the viper may be OK and just needing a new cam sensor, I'd be leary of his statement that "a dodge dealer checked it over". If that was missed, how much did they check? Good luck, Mike

Steve-Indy,

Here's my info, red (black stripes), build date 3/12/08, crank sensor failure 24 months ago, cam sensor failure 6 months ago. (Both failures occurred at CA Speedway). Can you tell us what your tracking has revealed?? Mike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, redtanrt10, my "tracking" is a hip shot..but others have long observed trends clustered around the build dates of the color batches.

In 2008, the Venom reds and Snakeskin greens that I came across, had cam sensor recalls early ( often covered by a RRT..."Rapid Response Transmission"...where said cars were to have the cam sensor changed before sale). I was watching the injector problem, which seemed to hit cars built mid year...catching only a couple of orange cars(not ours...yet!!).

There are lots of other speculative, loose associations involving prior Gens...but, I feel posting same would be irresponsible on my part since build dates really do not match up with suppliers' parts flowing into/or being used in the build process.

Remember the water pump problems which did cross all colors?

I guess we'll all just keep watching for trends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte