RT vs GTS, Maybe Open Air Isn't All Its Cracked Up to Be!

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having the choice between and rt/10 and a gts, I chose the rt for the removable top and open air driving. As far as looks go from the rear, a GTS might look a little better. Adding a mopar spoiler to the RT upgrades the look of the rear. The RT just looks lower, and sleeker. Thats what attracted me to it over the GTS. Add in that I can drive with no top, it was a win/win. Being a slave to weather is fine to me, I dont like driving in the rain anyways. I have a soft top and hard top if I feel inclined to go out on one of those days.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, got it all.....thanks for all the comments. I have owned Vettes most of my life, very familiar with true targas and, of course, leaky roofs.

That said, I originally bought the car for these reasons:

prefer the low ("cut off top") look of the RT
expected to leave the roof off in summer months
thought the GTS, even with a/c would be too hot on most days

I think my only regret is buying an RT without the hardtop. Based on price/low mileage and condition, I went with this car figuring I had no place to put the hardtop anyway.

So, at some point, I guess my solution would be to buy a used hardtop.

Thanks again...can always count on members to provide a point-of-view.

:D

If your going to buy a hardtop for your RT/10 buy this one.. It's a folding hardtop that stores in your trunk. It beats both the rag top and original hardtop that was available with the RT/10.

VIPER UPGRADE PRODUCTS

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes better than the autoform double bubble in looks and practicality... But even still... it's gotta be sitting right on your skull...

If your going to buy a hardtop for your RT/10 buy this one.. It's a folding hardtop that stores in your trunk. It beats both the rag top and original hardtop that was available with the RT/10.

VIPER UPGRADE PRODUCTS

viper96rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The RT/10 like the 427 Cobra will always be known as a VIPER the GTS like the Daytona will always be questioned. People remember their first impression.

I drove a GTS and RT/10 for a couple of weeks in 1998. There is very little difference between the GTS and the RT/10 from the driver seat. The performance numbers are so close and most people don't regularly drive to the point that it makes a difference. When the time came to buy a viper it was a clear choice buy the classic viper. By the way the classic sport cars through time have always been open air. Open air will always be popular on the street and coupes on the track.

If you need storage for touring or a roof by a SRT Charger. They are quite, waterproof and you can take the dog and kid.

If you want a car that takes you back to the glory years of motoring (before 1970) go with the RT/10. World class performance and classic appeal.

Just my .02

I came from a FFR Cobra, and hands down the GTS was the answer for me. I think it looks more classic. When you mention Viper to non-owners, that's the model they think of. Having an open top car is overrated. Your a slave to the weather, and after a while (a very short while here in Arizona) you want something over your head, A/C, and windshield wipers.

My .02 cents.....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and what's more valued now the Cobra Roadster or the Coupe ?

Didn't a Cobra Daytona coupe just sell at auction for like $8mil+

The RT/10 like the 427 Cobra will always be known as a VIPER the GTS like the Daytona will always be questioned.

Just my .02

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RT/10 like the 427 Cobra will always be known as a VIPER the GTS like the Daytona will always be questioned. People remember their first impression.

Couldn't disagree more. Of course, the RT/10 is the original Viper (I've owned two), but in no way is the GTS "questioned". It's the GTS that's picked by the kids in all the XBOX and PlayStation games as the Viper of choice. And, one day, those future adults will remember the GTS as an original Viper, no questions asked.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. Of course, the RT/10 is the original Viper (I've owned two), but in no way is the GTS "questioned". It's the GTS that's picked by the kids in all the XBOX and PlayStation games as the Viper of choice. And, one day, those future adults will remember the GTS as an original Viper, no questions asked.

I agree, every time people talk about the Viper they think of the GTS, mostly the 96 B/W since that was the start of the GTS. I love the RT/10 too don't get me wrong, but in my own opinion I feel the B/W GTS is the Iconic Viper.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...to the degree that if you say "Viper Blue" everybody just gets the image and nods their head like yep.. ok.. right.. gotcha

BTW.. also love the RT/10s myself though.

I agree, every time people talk about the Viper they think of the GTS, mostly the 96 B/W since that was the start of the GTS. I love the RT/10 too don't get me wrong, but in my own opinion I feel the B/W GTS is the Iconic Viper.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just my .02

Huh?????? :confused:

Hate to break it to you but when most Non-Viper people think/talk about Vipers the B/W GTS is the image that usually associated with the brand. ;)

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear all of you, but I must politely disagree. The first and probably the most identified with Viper is the Gen I/Gen II RED RT/10. Maybe because they made so many of them, but it was also the first. Now, I'm saying most recognizeable/identifiable with Viper, not which is viewed as the best representation of Viper.

I too was close to buying a B&W GTS, but missed it by a day...then my red one showed up and it was over.

Just to close the discussion from my point, this was not about the virtues of RT vs GTS. I love all Vipers and see the advantages to both. My preference is the RT, but I do hate the soft top.

Anyway, thanks to all for the good dialogue and I wish everyone a great (and safe) holiday weekend!:D

Peter

viper96rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...and what's more valued now the Cobra Roadster or the Coupe ?

Didn't a Cobra Daytona coupe just sell at auction for like $8mil+

This thread is not about resale value but enjoyment and appeal. There are more 427 replicas then daytonas replicas. If the daytona body style was so great more people would buy the daytonas but they don't.

Gus you can disagree but facts are facts. GTS are confused often enough. I have never hear of an RT/10 getting confused for a vette. I personally don't see how it happens since they look the same from the door forward.

I guess you might be right about the video game point but I don't think it has any validity. A Convertible in the video game means nothing to the video game experience. I would think most would pick the best performing car for the level. Again performance wise they are the same.

I was at a neighborhood BBQ the other day and one of the neighbors points out to me rather randomly that another neighbor who wasn't at the BBQ and lives just up the street from me just bought a brand new silver corvette like a month after I got my car... So I just look at her like what's that got to do with me... Fortuneately I do have some neighbors that appreciate the signficance of a GTS but all this is like the furthest thing from my mind when I fire up that v10 and shake their houses when I go by all the same... :stick::D

I get the exact same thing all the time. Most times people think my 96 is a brand new one. It's kinda flattering that people think I'm a millionaire when I tell them what I do for work and the fact alone that I drive a Viper, but in reality you are right, considering a brand new corvette would cost more then most Gen II Vipers or at least around the same.

Unfortunately I've had someone ask me before if my car was a Corvette :(

On the other hand, I also had someone who thought my car was a Ferrari :D

The bottom-line is the RT is the viper in the non car minds. The reality is most people prefer convertibles for driving not hardtops. Every car that comes in convertible or hardtop the convertibles are more expensive and in greater demand. The viper is one of the exceptions because of the track appeal.

To each their own. I only commented these facts:
1) The RT/10 is the true viper in most people's mind (non viper club members)
2) From the drive seat the expirence is the same
3) Convertible are classic sports cars not hardtops based on history
4) Off the track the RT/10 are more popular
5) If the faults of the convertible are a problem a Charger is better suit for those needs.

I am only providing balance to this thread.

If I had more room I would have one of each from each generation, but I don't so I picked one and it was the classic Viper which is also the classic convertible.

Clearly the GTS side is biased.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS confused with a vette???? OMG, I'd be so insulted, but that'll never happen as the vette and GTS has NO similarities. The only Vipers I've ever heard of being confused with vettes were the SRT10s. The side scoops, hood badyline are slightly similar, but not the GTS.

My ACR was confused with a Ferrari (599?) but I think that was the fault of the Red and the Venom spoiler at back. I told the guy, "No way this car is as slow as a Ferrari."

I did find the RT10 being the 'icon' interesting. Nearly everyone knows that the 96 GTS was the Indianapolis pace car - right? How many know the story of the prototype RT10 being used as the Pacecar because the AWU made a huge stink when the Stealth was to be the Pace car? The Oreca GTSs were what made the Viper famous kicking Ferrari and all the other butts in GT classes. The GTS was built to race (hardtop and faster) and did so well that the ACR came out in 99. The comp coupe is what replaced the GTSR when the GTS was no longer available. The coupe & ACR are the resurection of the GTS and I think that when people think Viper the mental picture is either a GTS of an ACR. Convertible lovers will think convertibles, unless they're racers or race fans.

I don't mind the R/T 10s and SRTs (no hate), but they would be completely useless to me because there is no where to use that car. Since it's getting colder every year I really wouldn't have much use for a vert. I often wonder why the vert guys don't build custom racks for the trunk to carry their roofs, like the old vettes used to have to carry their T-tops etc.?

I also don't think that it's fair to compare a Daytona coupe to an AC Cobra either. The rear of the Daytona coupe is UGGGLLY and the Cobra is cool.

Ted

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS owners are always very insecure about the RT, have been since day 1. It seems many of you just cant stand the fact that you CANT remove your roof and enjoy the open air experience.

Personally being an RT owner, love the GTS but every time I am in one as passenger or driver am always happy that my decision was a silver RT over a silver/blue stripe ACR sitting in the same show room.

Far as a car for the track without a doubt it would be a GTS, but thats about it.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thought I was done, but....

Ted, man, love your two GTS's and would love to own either one. Sorry that it seems to have become a love/hate RT vs GTS thread. Certainly not my intention, just kind of complaining about (maybe) my choice of cars now that I own the RT. I really love owning and driving my RT with or without the (ugly) soft top on...my a/c is cold! My comments were really about my lack of tolerance for heat and strong sun beating down on my head when the top is off. When it is in the 70's, I don't think you can beat the driving experience...but, summertime up here is rarely at that temperature unless the sun is going down.

I did not buy my car to race, so that logic doesn't apply to me... but I do see the point. Maybe if I was into racing my Viper, I would never have considered an RT...but that's a story for a different day.

Having owned Vettes most of my life, I think owning ANY Viper is an absolute blast and something that should definitely be appreciated.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!:D

I just wanna drive!:drive:

Peter

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have said this before.....The RT and GTS are 2 differnt cars. they give different rides and feel. They get different responces from onlookers. They sound differnt. and they have pro and cons due to weather you are in. I know because I have both and have a hard time decideing which one I will take out. The weather, location and event determines which one am i going to take out.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why people feel that they can't run the A/C when the top is off. My A/C hasn't worked in years but when it did work I used it.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I plan to do this summer. My a/c works great, thanks to Chuck Tator!

I am hoping at some point to pick up a used hardtop as I think it makes it a more all year round useable car. Also, when the softtop is on, it does little for wind noise and other noises.

The other thing I am planning to do is add the factory spoiler, as mentioned above by a few members.

Once again, whether it is an RT or a GTS, the fact is we own a great car and I am proud to be an owner and part of this great club!

Enjoy your holiday!:2tu:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the back of the RT without the spoiler... IMO a rear spoiler takes away from the sleek skateboard look of the car when you're behind it. The RT body is beautiful the way it is. That 3 piece hardtop is what I would get if I had an RT but for emergencies only.

I'm pretty split between the RT and the GTS. The GTS is nice and I almost always ride with the windows down except of course when I take the wife along. I don't think this debate has any winner or loser even on which car people think is the iconic Viper... Could be either depending on the person and it's pretty evenly split IMO. Both amazing and I want one of each..:D

The other thing I am planning to do is add the factory spoiler, as mentioned above by a few members.

Enjoy your holiday!:2tu:

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm obviously in the minority here when I say I like the sleek squatty low profile look of my RT/10 with the top off from behind than the "fat bubble ass AMC Pacer" look of the GTS! WOOOOOAAA!!!..............

:outtahere:

Just kidding guys!
We were at a car show last year parked by a good local friend that had a GTS and the above comment actually was made by a woman that was probably 50 or so (not that age matters) that was looking at the cars with her hubby. At the same show, a guy called my Roe supercharged RT a POS! Interesting, considering he had a rustang a few isles over. Rough crowd at that show! People! Never siezes to amaze me. Why do they feel like they have to make these comments public instead of keeping it to themselves. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive with the top off as much as possible which is pretty much all of time unless I'm on the track or get caught in the occassional rain. I've driven with top off in the 30's, 90's, 100's and everything in between. AC blows cold, sunglasses and cap on. Unless I'm sitting in stopped traffic...I don't really pay attention to the temperature. At the least with the way I drive my Viper :cool: I need to pay attention to the road and to the harmony of the roar of the V10. :)

As for noises...upgrade the exhaust. Problem solved. :D

Oh, I also wear shorts year round. You'll find me shoveling snow in my SpongeBob boxers during the winter. **** the elements! So, there you go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny Tony, interestingly, this thread has actually reminded me of why I chose to buy the RT over the GTS....the low, squat look of the car from the back with the roof off. I think it has a far nastier look, IMHO, but not knocking the cool look touches that the GTS has.

Thanks all.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both cars ARE incredible. I loved the RT/10 when it first came out but when given the choice I chose the GTS.

No hate for the RT, just don't care to own one. Do I begrudge anyone for liking the RT? Of course not. Do I love my GTS? You better believe it.

And as far as anyone claiming to know what "everyone else" thinks between the 2 cars, well go ahead and speculate all you want, but the truth is you haven't got a clue what "everyone else" thinks. Only the people you have questioned.

Both great cars. One isn't any better than the other. Pick the one that suits you best.

Ron

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never ridden in an RT/10, have always wanted to.

I could definitely see owning one.:)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm obviously in the minority here when I say I like the sleek squatty low profile look of my RT/10 with the top off from behind than the "fat bubble ass AMC Pacer" look of the GTS! WOOOOOAAA!!!..............

I get that all the time in my GTS:lmao: Good one:rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya, I only take the car out when there is zero or close to zero chance of rain. I do keep the softop folded in the trunk just in case. Good analogy to compare to a motorcycle.

Thanks....

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huh?????? :confused:

Hate to break it to you but when most Non-Viper people think/talk about Vipers the B/W GTS is the image that usually associated with the brand. ;)

I'm not just agreeing to this since I own one, but it honestly seems to be the truth in a lot of cases. I've had several situations where I've been asked what kind of car I have, and when I say a "Viper" I sometimes get... "is it the blue with white stripes one"?

Don't get me wrong.. I love the RT/10 too, I hope to buy one someday after I finish paying off my GTS. I'm just going by personal experience from what other people think when talking about mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion, I think if you're talking to Viper knowledgeable owners, then maybe B&W would be mentioned because they know it exists and is desireable.

However, I would bet the vast majority of car buffs (not Viper buffs) would first associate the red RT with Viper before anything else. It was the body style and color that first established the Viper in the minds of many, and stayed that way until 96/97 GTS's arrived.

Now that wasn't the subject of this thread, but I just had to chime in on this one.

I jus' wanna drive!!!:drive: