TA selling well, soon to be selling out...and it's no surprise why

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this level of performance, small gains are significant gains. The TA would not have been a good base model as suggested above. Most do not track their cars and never will. There are trade offs involved that a Sunday cruiser/garage queen person would not wish to make. The base SRT model for 2014, with the additional content added for 2014, is a very capable package at a reasonable price.
Sure, understand, but what are those gains? Looking for facts on this, not marketing. I do track all the time and totally understand what you are saying, thus my quests for the facts.

Specifically, on a track, what is the difference in time/feel between a Factory GTS with aero and track alignment vs a TA? This really gets down to how much (if any) did the 20% increase in spring rate and sway bars add.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the brakes and weight advantage. I think that over the course of a continous 25 minute track day session, the advantage would make itself evident. Also, we need someone to retest the TA in its production version at LS. I think the final version may be faster.

It really comes down to what you want out of the car. Most of us do not have the skill to drive it the way Probst did anyway so at least in some cases it's just knowing the potential is there that makes the TA so interesting.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I don't think there was a big weight savings. The car weighs more than the SRT, so I think Ralph said only 25llbs less (may have been even less) than the GTS. Remember, those brakes and sway-bars are heavier. Did the ACR have troubles after 25min sessions with its brakes? No. Trust me, I get it, I run ACR-X brakes on mine when I track, but not convinced they stop better. Hopefully will last longer. They definitely weigh more.

Again, I am just trying to dig through all the marketing hype and understand the real scoop on performance gain which only comes down to how much effect the spring rate and sway bars add. In my experience, often times higher spring rates/stiffer sway bars actually slow you down, particularly on rougher surfaces. Everything else is really a red-herring. Great marketing, but still a red-herring.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per my title certificate it weighs 3280. It has significantly less sound deadening material. The CF X brace weighs less than the standard X brace. I believe they tweaked out a few pounds in other areas also. I do not think the TA is marketing hype. It is a purpose built vehicle. Of course you can buy the parts and swap them out if you choose to. Having seriously and carefully upgraded my former Viper over time, I can see the value of that if you want a different combination of design, creature comfort and performance. For me, the TA was/is perfect. It was a pleasant suprise.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I don't think there was a big weight savings. The car weighs more than the SRT, so I think Ralph said only 25llbs less (may have been even less) than the GTS. Remember, those brakes and sway-bars are heavier. Did the ACR have troubles after 25min sessions with its brakes? No. Trust me, I get it, I run ACR-X brakes on mine when I track, but not convinced they stop better. Hopefully will last longer. They definitely weigh more.

Again, I am just trying to dig through all the marketing hype and understand the real scoop on performance gain which only comes down to how much effect the spring rate and sway bars add. In my experience, often times higher spring rates/stiffer sway bars actually slow you down, particularly on rougher surfaces. Everything else is really a red-herring. Great marketing, but still a red-herring.

Well the ACR had quite a bit more aero, which means corners can be taken at higher speeds, and you have the added drag to help slow you down as well.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT track pack is still the lightest variant. Just to clarify some discussion above. The larger front brakes on the TA were more about heat dissipation during multiple laps, but as stated, the base brakes are still excellent and proven with the ACR. The solid sways would be interesting to feel the difference of, however.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, thank you for the thoughtful reply. I was aware of all of the differences. I agree with most of what you say. My only point of difference is on the performance gains. With the GTS being so close in times without the aero and track alignment, it does make you wonder on the benefits of the stiffer springs and roll bars. The brakes are not that big deal as the track pack brakes are what the GEN4 ACR used so successfully for years. Anyone going to the track would get a track alignment anyways. I do like those new brake rotors though. Wish they would have a 3 mode suspension on the GTS to have the two track modes of the TA and then the street setting.

I suspected you maybe did know all the differences, but we now know were all on the same page. You stated elsewhere that you are genuinely looking to purchase a gen V, and seem to be going through a similar thought process that I did, so let's see how we used much the same information to come to different conclusions. You even just identified the same two factors that were pivotal to me...the best brakes vs the most compliant suspension. Where you're trying to minimize the value of the TA's performance features, and suggesting that others are falling for the TA's marketing to justify choosing the GTS suspension and other features, I used just as advanced rationalization techniques to choose the TA for its brakes and other features ;)

Again, I think a great marketing effort to take some very basic parts, cheaper interior, decal emblems and a unique color, call it special and sell it for a price that most everyone was complaining about before. This is what surprised me because the performance gain was minimal, but the price a decent jump.

What is "basic" about brake capacity, sway bars, spring rates, damper valving optimized for those bars/springs/track alignment, and front and rear functional splitters? How much would it cost to buy all of those to upgrade a GTS? They'd also cost a small fortune on an SRT, you'd have to go aftermarket for suspension because the two mode Bilsteins won't work on an SRT, and you still wouldn't have all the ESC modes. Then add to that the value of the carbon fiber X-brace and rear fascia, spiffy orange accents, and the combined value of both a lap record setting limited edition!!! I can't see it as anything but special, and an incredible value for those wanting it for all the other reasons. Not sure anyone has complained about price once they realized what it included. If somebody didn't want or care about half of the features they would think it wasn't worth it.

The "cheaper" interior is certainly less costly for the OEM, but more desirable for a track focused performance car for comfort and support. The TA still retains leather for important touch points. I bought my first sports car when I was 20 (XKE vert) with leather seats, and every car purchase since 1985, three current track cars, and even my mini van has acres of the stuff. I'm actually looking forward to cloth interior look and feel. Love the orange stitching.

To answer your questions though, the items I want are a different color, stripes, polished wheels (I personally hate the black wheels), two vent hood and the nice leather interior and the sound deadening. But make no mistake, I want it to be great on the track as well, thus I really like the brake option which is an easy add later. I think if you give Randy a GTS with track pack, aero, and track alignment, I suspect the times will be super close. This is the reason why I don't see the big performance gain, but I could be wrong and not giving enough value to the stiffer spring rates, sway bars and shock dampening.

I guess the same could be said for a base SRT model with track pack and aero for much less money. Heck, if you really wanted the best track performer for the money, you would get a new base 2013 SRT with track pack ($95k) and aero ($5k), track alignment ($200), put MCS suspension ($5k) on it and cost you 10-15k less.

So it's clear you don't like much at all about the TA, other than it's top performance, so let's not worry about its marketing or value. Buy an SRT or GTS, order and install all the Mopar and aftermarket parts that you like, and don't worry about whether it's performs as good or better than the TA.

I'm not a fan of black wheels either, particularly on a black car, and could have done the same as you are suggesting starting with a GTS. I'd have it set up exactly the way I like, with choice of color/stripes/wheels, paid extra for the SRT hood for better cooling, and could have spent a small fortune on the mods you mentioned. The worst that could have happened is that I'd have spent a small fortune on modifications, possibly still ended up with inferior performance and handling characteristics compared to the TA, and would likely only see pennies on the dollar for the mods at resale time...if I could find a buyer for it. I guess I could pay to put it back to stock again to sell it to an unsuspecting buyer. Of course I still wouldn't have had the performance interior that I want, and spent all my time researching, installing, and testing mods. I did promise myself I'd never go that route again, and simply buy the car that offered the performance I wanted.

I got over my dislike of black wheels on a black car in about 24 hours when I considered the package as a whole. It's certainly the most practical color scheme for my track use as far as hiding tire marble marks. Reviews of the TA indicate that ride quality is somewhere between acceptable and quite good, naturally subject to road surface, and I'm getting the brakes I really, really wanted. Ralph Gilles, Randy Pobst and Graham Hecknell all personally recommended the TA for my combined street and track use with endurance sessions up to 90 minutes back in March and April, in part for those brakes. I don't think I was swayed by marketing at all, but rather good feedback from those who know the cars best.

To clarify, I am not trying to put down the TA. Some of my comments may suggest that I am, but just truly trying to understand as I think the marketing has been great to suggest big performance increases, but the data does not show that for all of us reading the same facts.

I think your comments help make a very strong case for the TA for its very high performance. It would take a lot of time and money to try to match or beat it in order to have a wider choice of non-performance colors and such. Those who do like the look and features of the TA should also consider the aspects of performance beyond a lap time. You're not likely going to be trying to beat Randy's record lap around Laguna Seca, but you may appreciate the improvements to car control and driver confidence that he found apparent compared to the production SRT and GTS, and the impressive performance that every reviewer of the TA has enthusiastically reported.

We're very lucky to have such a good choice of Vipers and options to choose from for our varying needs. We should all be excited about the models that we prefer rather than being critical of models we don't.

Bruce

Last edited:

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TA has the best balance of track worthiness and street friendiness without being overbearing (big wing, really low ride height, etc.), and IMO there should have been just 2 versions of the Gen V Vipers at launch - the TA and SRT.

Took the car for a ride to get to know her better, and starting to fall in love with her more and more...., isn't she beautiful???

You must be registered for see images

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say this about the TA -

Went to the dealer to pick up a Rubicon Unltd for the wife (and me on weekends). They had an orange TA on the floor. I've had the cash set aside over a yr but have been holding off for a handful of reasons. So keeping in mind that I had reserved myself to wait ...

I had though my wife would hate the orange "hello look at me" color, as I would normally as well ... uh, we both just fell in love, with the car that is. I had to exert great control to not just write a check then and there. I kept repreating ... it's not a vert, it's not mod-able, it's only got 640hp, it's orange, it's ... ehhh, I must have this car, help meeeee. My wife is an amazing negotiator, as we stood there with the sales guy she said to me loadly, "you've got to buy this car, how can not have already bought this? what are you waiting for??" And, emotionally I felt myself agree on her convincing points.

I did manage to only buy the Jeep, but yea, the TA is the bomb, it is the Viper of the new generation. The orange is devilishly hot with the black, it screams EfffYou, in both a seductive and nasty way. I refused the offer to sit in it and they even offered that they could arrange a test drive in the GTS they had, but that would've only ended with me posting pics today of my new TA so I declined.

Congrats to all TA owners, you have serious badassery in your garages, we'll see how long I can resist the orange side of the force.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say this about the TA -

Went to the dealer to pick up a Rubicon Unltd for the wife (and me on weekends). They had an orange TA on the floor. I've had the cash set aside over a yr but have been holding off for a handful of reasons. So keeping in mind that I had reserved myself to wait ...

I had though my wife would hate the orange "hello look at me" color, as I would normally as well ... uh, we both just fell in love, with the car that is. I had to exert great control to not just write a check then and there. I kept repreating ... it's not a vert, it's not mod-able, it's only got 640hp, it's orange, it's ... ehhh, I must have this car, help meeeee. My wife is an amazing negotiator, as we stood there with the sales guy she said to me loadly, "you've got to buy this car, how can not have already bought this? what are you waiting for??" And, emotionally I felt myself agree on her convincing points.

I did manage to only buy the Jeep, but yea, the TA is the bomb, it is the Viper of the new generation. The orange is devilishly hot with the black, it screams EfffYou, in both a seductive and nasty way. I refused the offer to sit in it and they even offered that they could arrange a test drive in the GTS they had, but that would've only ended with me posting pics today of my new TA so I declined.

Congrats to all TA owners, you have serious badassery in your garages, we'll see how long I can resist the orange side of the force.

Haha! Same thing happened to me when I visited Normandin for routine service on my Viper. They had an Orange TA alongside a Billet Silver SRT with carbon aero, carbon exterior, and matte black Sidewinders. Wow, they were the two most sinister yet elegant looking Vipers I have ever seen. I was probably in the showroom for an hour, popping hoods to gaze at the carbon X brace, checking out the nicely designed replaceable skid pads on the splitters, just drooling all over these two dream machines. If I didn't already have my Stryker Red, I would have busted my bank account wide open that day!

Here's my prediction- the TA is the silver bullet that SRT fired that will reverse the lackluster 2013. It's a chance for a do over. The refinements they made to it make it truly the most exciting and engaging track car available for track rats like many on this thread. It became a hero just when we needed one, retaking the track record at Laguna Seca.

There has been insightful discussion on whether the TA truly is a cut above the SRT and GTS or instead is a brilliant marketing success. I think it's both. It's the ******** model, optioned for performance not touring. Previous gen owners that were critical of the Gen V cannot honestly believe that this car is too soft, not if they look at it with an open objective mind. I see this car winning over the media, sports car enthusiasts and has now even been purchased by a good number of previous gen owners. Brilliant marketing success. Check.

Put three skilled track rats in the three Gen V variants, SRT, TA and GTS, all three with track pack and aero, and I believe the most skilled driver will turn the fastest laps regardless of which model he is put in. The cars are likely that close in performance. But for the few ******** track rats, the TA's suspension and brake improvements are significant as Bruce outlined.

I think the TA got the attention of many enthusiasts and they will sell fast, but I believe this will also lead to increased SRT and GTS sales. For me I would be honestly torn today between a GTS with track pack and aero Vs. a TA. The track rat in me is drawn to the ******** TA, but the dual mode of the GTS makes it the true GT car- comfortable enough to enjoy on weekend getaways with my lady, world class performance at the track. I know which one she would choose. Then there are those that will recognize the value of the SRT, a remarkable, well appointed dream machine for $100k. Then there are those that want something really unique, enter Stryker Green and Anodized Carbon Edition. The track rat, the grand touring enthusiast, the value shopper, and those wanting exclusivity all now have gen Vs that will tempt them.

The TA media launch event was met with unanimous praise from the press at a time SRT desperately needed it. Yes it's a fantastic track machine, but it's more than that. I think the TA is the game changer.

Last edited:

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A significant part of the Viper's appeal has always had to do with being the biggest and fastest. It's not like an Aston Martin, where advocates always point to some intangible appeal to overlook short comings-the appeal of the Viper was aggressive looks, aggressive numbers, and segment dominance on the track and strip. The TA brought that ball back into SRT's court, which is why it's selling. This is also why most owners look at the 90's GTS and the 08+ACR as the Halcyon era of the car-because that was the only time that it wasn't just edging out the competition, but obliterating it. I love the idea of the new interior, God knows I'd love to have that in my ACR, but the TA was a home run because it got the Viper formula right: Be the best and win. That's all there is to it with this car.

I think the best thing they can do for marketing now is bring out an unbelievable ACR, and then absorb most of the TA's features into the base and GTS cars (thicker brakes, carbon brace, etc). The TA's people bought will serve as a collectible proof of concept, like the Reventon was for the Aventador.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A significant part of the Viper's appeal has always had to do with being the biggest and fastest. It's not like an Aston Martin, where advocates always point to some intangible appeal to overlook short comings-the appeal of the Viper was aggressive looks, aggressive numbers, and segment dominance on the track and strip. The TA brought that ball back into SRT's court, which is why it's selling. This is also why most owners look at the 90's GTS and the 08+ACR as the Halcyon era of the car-because that was the only time that it wasn't just edging out the competition, but obliterating it. I love the idea of the new interior, God knows I'd love to have that in my ACR, but the TA was a home run because it got the Viper formula right: Be the best and win. That's all there is to it with this car.

I think the best thing they can do for marketing now is bring out an unbelievable ACR, and then absorb most of the TA's features into the base and GTS cars (thicker brakes, carbon brace, etc). The TA's people bought will serve as a collectible proof of concept, like the Reventon was for the Aventador.

What is interesting is that the Gen IV ACR didn't sell that many units but it is the one that I admire the most. For those of you who are long time Viper owners, do you think the ACR drove sales of the other models? This is the way I see the TA, as the halo car for the Gen V if you will. The TA inspires them to want a Viper, then they further refine their wants and may end up with a TA, SRT or GTS.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah. That big seller the ACR, a whole 250 units a year. Will change everything!

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>Yeah. That big seller the ACR, a whole 250 units a year. Will change everything!

According to sales figures I found for the SRT Viper, a 250 unit bump in 2013 would have meant a 42% increase in Viper sales in the USA. I'm not an economist, but that seems significant.

Also, I don't think the value of having a halo car, especially one that's in demand and moving, can be underestimated. I think OP is right, once it stops snowing buckets on us and summer hits, I bet the TA's become the first SRT Viper that's hard to find for sale. I hope it boosts sales of the other models too; it's a really good car.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point is the ACR is an even bigger niche for a niche vehicle.

A Vert would help a lot at this point.

Yea, debatable, but I agree I think the vert would open more of a market that the ACR, especially considering the focus SRT seems to have with the car at the moment, paint, stripes, editions, a vert would expand all of that to people who want that roadster exotic model. I also think they should wait for the Z06 to put out numbers to tackle it. Frankly, as the TA sits now it's king of the hill, has the LS record, etc., so if they beat their own record then so what from a marketing standpoint. Do the vert now, get more buyers, take measure of the real Z06 and then launch a shock and awe ACR. One, two punch.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be interested t know if TA sales are mostly previous Gen owners. Viper needs fresh blood to be exited about the platform. The loyalists won't keep it afloat as history has shown. I like the TA but I also have a Gen 2.

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Vert would help a lot at this point.

Yeah, definitely that's more important than an ACR. That's a huge market. I just don't think about verts very much because the weather is so rotten here.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha! Same thing happened to me when I visited Normandin for routine service on my Viper. They had an Orange TA alongside a Billet Silver SRT with carbon aero, carbon exterior, and matte black Sidewinders. Wow, they were the two most sinister yet elegant looking Vipers I have ever seen. I was probably in the showroom for an hour, popping hoods to gaze at the carbon X brace, checking out the nicely designed replaceable skid pads on the splitters, just drooling all over these two dream machines. If I didn't already have my Stryker Red, I would have busted my bank account wide open that day!

Here's my prediction- the TA is the silver bullet that SRT fired that will reverse the lackluster 2013. It's a chance for a do over. The refinements they made to it make it truly the most exciting and engaging track car available for track rats like many on this thread. It became a hero just when we needed one, retaking the track record at Laguna Seca.

There has been insightful discussion on whether the TA truly is a cut above the SRT and GTS or instead is a brilliant marketing success. I think it's both. It's the ******** model, optioned for performance not touring. Previous gen owners that were critical of the Gen V cannot honestly believe that this car is too soft, not if they look at it with an open objective mind. I see this car winning over the media, sports car enthusiasts and has now even been purchased by a good number of previous gen owners. Brilliant marketing success. Check.

Put three skilled track rats in the three Gen V variants, SRT, TA and GTS, all three with track pack and aero, and I believe the most skilled driver will turn the fastest laps regardless of which model he is put in. The cars are likely that close in performance. But for the few ******** track rats, the TA's suspension and brake improvements are significant as Bruce outlined.

I think the TA got the attention of many enthusiasts and they will sell fast, but I believe this will also lead to increased SRT and GTS sales. For me I would be honestly torn today between a GTS with track pack and aero Vs. a TA. The track rat in me is drawn to the ******** TA, but the dual mode of the GTS makes it the true GT car- comfortable enough to enjoy on weekend getaways with my lady, world class performance at the track. I know which one she would choose. Then there are those that will recognize the value of the SRT, a remarkable, well appointed dream machine for $100k. Then there are those that want something really unique, enter Stryker Green and Anodized Carbon Edition. The track rat, the grand touring enthusiast, the value shopper, and those wanting exclusivity all now have gen Vs that will tempt them.

The TA media launch event was met with unanimous praise from the press at a time SRT desperately needed it. Yes it's a fantastic track machine, but it's more than that. I think the TA is the game changer.

I agree with every word, Todd. Each of the 3 models has just a slightly different personality to appeal to slightly different buyer preferences, but they're all fundamentally very similar. I see the importance of the TA to Viper more in the way its excellent launch will showcase all Viper's great attributes after initial reviews of test mules, pre-production, and improperly prepared test cars led to poor reviews. Media mindset matters, and the TA is changing their minds... and critics everywhere.

Took the car for a ride to get to know her better, and starting to fall in love with her more and more...., isn't she beautiful???

She sure is, and great backdrop for photos!

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if that pic was taken here in canada the only differance would be, a big snow bank in the background. i like this pic better.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to exert great control to not just write a check then and there. I kept repreating ... it's not a vert, it's not mod-able, it's only got 640hp, it's orange, it's ... ehhh, I must have this car, help meeeee. The orange is devilishly hot with the black, it screams EfffYou, in both a seductive and nasty way. I refused the offer to sit in it and they even offered that they could arrange a test drive in the GTS they had, but that would've only ended with me posting pics today of my new TA so I declined.

And why would that have been bad again???

Well, I have a feeling it isn't going to get any easier. You'll probably go to sleep each night thinking about it, and wake up thinking about it. You'll become increasingly moody and withdrawn. Your wife will probably bring it up from time to time, and ask sensible questions like "how many years until you think a vert "might" come out?". Or "why is it again you want to mod a 640 hp car?". You'll see pics of them on the forums, but perhaps never on the road because there will only be about 3 of them across 90% of the northern hemisphere! You might find yourself on dealer websites watching as inventory is depleted. Shouldn't hurt tooooo much. You'll probably get over it, although I suspect that's something other people say just to make you feel better.

Or you could just score one now while you can, and enjoy the heck out of it until SRT offers a moddable Viper, convertible or whatever that you like better...assuming that day ever comes. And isn't that what most car nuts do anyways? I don't believe for a minute I won't find something I like better over the next 20 years or so :)

Bruce

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said. The best driver will usually go faster at the track. I've seen big hp cars hold up fast guys in miatas. However if the drivers are somewhat equally skilled. I think the TA will win every time, especially vs a SRT. Randy said the SRT was not very confidence inspiring. He was able to ring more out of it, but that's going to make an average track guy even more timid. Confidence is everything on the track.

Also completely agree on being torn between the GTS and TA. I was set on a Z06 until I heard the weight might be 3600 lbs. If it's more than 3500 I don't want it. If the TA really weighs 32XX I'd rather have that. But like you say, I'd like the GTS for date night with the wife. Tough choice.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with every word, Todd. Each of the 3 models has just a slightly different personality to appeal to slightly different buyer preferences, but they're all fundamentally very similar. I see the importance of the TA to Viper more in the way its excellent launch will showcase all Viper's great attributes after initial reviews of test mules, pre-production, and improperly prepared test cars led to poor reviews. Media mindset matters, and the TA is changing their minds... and critics everywhere.

Absolutely true. I probably wouldn't have bought my Viper right after the negative MT articles came out on the poorly prepped Vipers, the press was so bad. How is one to know that that the Viper is this good when getting hammered by the press. This re-launch with the TA shows the Viper in a more accurate light. I just hope it fares well in the C & D Lightning Lap. That test will be riddled with potholes to fall into, let's hope they take the time to approach the Viper's limits. It should turn the fastest lap in it's class, perhaps the fastest overall. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bruce, I cannot wait to hear your reports after you've tracked it a few times!!!

Well said. The best driver will usually go faster at the track. I've seen big hp cars hold up fast guys in miatas. However if the drivers are somewhat equally skilled. I think the TA will win every time, especially vs a SRT. Randy said the SRT was not very confidence inspiring. He was able to ring more out of it, but that's going to make an average track guy even more timid. Confidence is everything on the track.

Also completely agree on being torn between the GTS and TA. I was set on a Z06 until I heard the weight might be 3600 lbs. If it's more than 3500 I don't want it. If the TA really weighs 32XX I'd rather have that. But like you say, I'd like the GTS for date night with the wife. Tough choice.

Yep, agree with all of what you said, Blue. Equally skilled drivers, the TA should turn the fastest laps. The GTS is so damned good on the track, hard to imagine they could improve upon it but the TA did! Except that I really believe it needs downforce to keep the rear planted, so carbon aero is a must in my opinion.

Yes I suspect the Z06 will be a bit on the porky side with the added weight of the supercharger and supporting goodies. They've offset that with some lighter components, but I expect it to be heavier than all of the Gen V Vipers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hope it fares well in the C & D Lightning Lap. That test will be riddled with potholes to fall into, let's hope they take the time to approach the Viper's limits. It should turn the fastest lap in it's class, perhaps the fastest overall. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bruce, I cannot wait to hear your reports after you've tracked it a few times!!!

I'm not particularly optimistic that anyone would be able to drive any Viper competitively with limited seat time, myself included. It is a fact that the Viper has always been a white-knuckled handful at the limit. Randy saying that the Gen V or TA isn't won't change the C&D tester's mindset, will to live, or offset every instinct the tester has to back down every time he feels a twitch in the rear. Testers also won't be comfortable, or feel as confident, driving any car at speeds they're not used to because it's much more difficult to mentally process all the driving inputs at that speed. At that point they're really testing their own driving ability, and nerve, as much as the car. At those speeds even a perfect handling Viper would be much more of a challenge at 8/10ths than another perfectly handling car with lower limits at 10/10ths. And the testers knowing the nature of R-compounds to grip and grip...until they suddenly don't, and the huge torque that will be unnerving to probe at the limit on those tires, maybe even lack of confidence about the preparation of the test car, less familiar seating position so far rearward, and limited outward vision will all conspire to prevent a tester from being able to push the Viper.

So while I think the very fastest cars abilities are going to exceed the tester's, I think the deck is really stacked against the TA, or any Viper. At this level you have to rely on the abilities of a pro driver like Randy Pobst who needs relatively little seat time to confidently drive any car on its limits. Were lucky that he's done perhaps the most exhaustive and conclusive test possible with the Gen V's and its competitors at Laguna Seca, and while his lap times are the only result conveniently listed, his subjective impressions are likely available with some digging. We know he was very impressed with how well the TA handled at the limit... handling that allowed him to set a new track record... and how the SRT and GTS were so dramatically improved and were almost as fast around LG. He has multi championship driving talent, is well known to be the ultimate straight shooter, and he is just as impressed with the car privately when discussing with his racing friends as he was on camera with MT. I just can't imagine what impressions the testers and writers at C&D will come up with, or how they'll try to spin it to make for exciting copy, but I'll see if I can find an example of the crap they've published in the past and post it when I do.

Also, I don't know how comparable VIR lap times will be to previous year's results as the track has just been repaved. Testers will also be adjusting to that.

I just got my estimated delivery date of 4/4/14 for my TA and will be on track with it very soon after that!

Bruce

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my take on the upcoming Z06 vs the Viper.

By the time the Z06 hits the market, I'll have enjoyed driving and racing my Gen 5 Viper for almost 2 years.

Those who are always waiting "for the next best thing" fail to realize the enjoyment we early buyers get by NOT waiting. When you wait to buy something later, the rest of us early owners will have already moved on to the next best thing. Lets face it, nobody here is getting any younger. These are just cars, so buy several, and enjoy several.

Tony

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIR has been repaved and widened. The track will be faster but maybe not right away until it rubbers in.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT and TA don't have the insulation of the GTS; for those of you who have already driven these, is the road noise significant? How does it compare to the Gen III/IV?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang