RT10 Tonneau cover?

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was checking out the window sticker for my '99RT10 and noticed it came with an optional tonneau cover, in addition to both the hard and soft tops. It did not come with my car, so what exactly does this thing look like installed on the car?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a good picture to find. Not many of them out there. Do not even know where to tell you to look. I guess if someone used it they might have a picture. I just did not like the thing. It goes over the interior to protect in case of a stray shower.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had my RT/10 I would use it when I went into work. Its nice to keep out dust and leaves and in case of some very little rain.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But doesn't its installation required the drilling of holes or something? I looked at mine when I got the car and read the directions and remember thinking "I won't be putting any holes in anything..."

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are very awkward to use. I have one for my Gen I, I put it on the car once.

They snap across the dash, and fit in the window slots. Then they zipper half way to let the driver in and out. A novel idea but not appropriate for a Viper- Just my humble opinion.

The snaps on the dash are painted in flat black, as soon as you use the cover the black paint chips off the snaps.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are very awkward to use. I have one for my Gen I, I put it on the car once.
They snap across the dash, and fit in the window slots. Then they zipper half way to let the driver in and out. A novel idea but not appropriate for a Viper- Just my humble opinion.
I used the tonneau cover on my Gen 1 extensively - despite the naysayers, I felt it was a very good implementation. It was easier than any other method to protect the interior of the car from the sun, bird droppings, leaves, etc; I used it whenever it was too windy for a full car cover, for instance, and it was my daily driver, with 70k miles on it when I got rid if it. To drive with the cover on, just unzip the section over the drivers seat and tuck it behind the seat, and you're good to go. As mentioned, there's a row of snaps across the dash that the tonneau attaches to and, while the paint rubs off the snaps, its not like its noticeable at all, as the snaps turn mostly black anyway.

HOWEVER, I've also got the tonneau cover for my Gen II, and its a slightly different deal. The Gen II doesn't have the snaps on the dash, and instead uses a rod that you extend across two attachment points that you have to install on the A-pillars (on either side of the windshield), which requires drilling a hole on the side of the A-pillar facing inwards (which would likely not be too noticeable). I've never used the cover on my Gen II because my car managed to come without the rod, and I was unable to find it stuck to the top of the trunk area, as has been mentioned as a common place for it to be stored. I'm also a little leery of drilling the holes to mount it, yet, since my experience with the Gen I tonneau cover was positive and the holes/attachment points would not be that noticeable, I'd be tempted to use it on my Gen II if I had the rod - I'm putting around 800 miles on the car per month, and there are many instances I'd feel a lot better about covering the inside and I really don't want to put the full cover on.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it, its cool because you can zip out the driver's side and drive, so the passenger side is still covered, pretty cool looking.

OP
OP

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Would anyone have a pic of a Viper with it on? It sounds pretty cool.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll snap some pics tonight, I should have the time. My car is a GenI, but I think it will look the same or similar.

OP
OP

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool snampro, looking forward to seeing them when you get the chance. No rush. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I like it, its cool because you can zip out the driver's side and drive, so the passenger side is still covered, pretty cool looking."

Yes, it does look kool when you drive it with only the driver's side unzipped.

There is a buckle that connects to the right seat belt, keeps it from flapping.

I have one.

Kind of fits the British sports car look, side curtains and all.

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one for sale on e-bay right now if anyone is looking for one. Its for a Gen1, and in mint condition. Listing number is 260049056264

Jay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi