?'s Regarding 1996 GTS w/salvage title???

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ?\'s Regarding 1996 GTS w/salvage title???

I think most people only buy one salvaged car in their life (if that). There will be exceptions, but it's rare.

Reason is, is because after owning one, you will realize how many things can go wrong and all the little annoyances that come along with a rebuilt car. Excess tire wear, noises like squeaks, rattles, groans and moans, constant alignments, pulling to the left or right, etc.... Every person I know (including myself) who have owned a rebuilt car (car that has been seriously wrecked) have passionately regretted it. A rebuilt car will NEVER be the same, regardless what some people might tell you (the seller, a rebuider or someone who sells rebuilt cars).

The peace of mind of driving a high performance car over legal speed limits and wondering if it was fixed correctly is worth more than $5,000, or even $10,000. It's probably priceless. Which is why I will never, ever buy another rebuilt car. If a car has any frame damage or even suspension damage, stay far away.

I hesitate to put a price on what I would pay for it, because I just can't see buying it or any other salvaged
car.

Look around, on autotrader, there are good blue and whites for $40k and $42k. Plenty for under $45K (asking price). Pay the extra and get a good vehicle.

If you do, you won't regret it.

Come drive mine, then see if you repeat the garbage your spewing above.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with Dansauto. There isn't anything magic about fixing a car.
Remember, the insurance company totaled the car because it couldn't be fixed for the money the company would have to pay out to settle.

That hardly means that it can't be fixed. It simply means that to fix it, someone has to be able to work cheaper than a high dollar shop.
There are competent people who can do this.

The word "salvage" on the title is always going to hurt the value. It need not make the repaired car mechanically or cosmetically less than a non salvage car.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree totally with both of the above statements!!!!!! There are too many "hacks" out there screwin' up cars!!!! If it's done right, some can actually be better than new!!!!! Some automakers QC programs are not that good. Just have to do your homework. Make sure it was done right, you won't have any problems.