Salvage Viper back from the dead! Pics inside!

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit of background...

I picked this car up last summer after spotting it on Ebay. It's an '01 RT/10 with about 50K miles. Car was in pretty good shape overall, except for the obvious disagreement it had with a stop sign at high speed:

You must be registered for see images

I got the car home a few weeks later and pulled out all the damaged parts. What I ended up replacing was as follows:

Front Fascia
Hood
fog lights
ABS module
coolant reservoir bottle
A/C Condenser
Radiator
Oil Cooler
Serpentine Belt
Water Pump Pulley
Front Sway Bar
Horn
Rad Mounting Framework
Front rebar piece (fiberglass)
Hood catches
Hood hinge
Hood release cables
Driver and Passenger airbags
Sun Visors (I have no idea why these were missing)
Hard top
VIPER emblems

Most parts were sourced used from Viper Parts Larry and Don Sharf's, two vendors that I would recommend to anyone.

I had the car professionally repainted by the local Dodge dealership. I don't know what gods were smiling on me the day they quoted the paint job, but I got the entire repaint, including full disassembly, prime, paint and clear for under $5K. Color is Dodge's Sunburst Orange. I would have been happy leaving it yellow, but my wife was insistent on picking the color. I'm quite happy she did. I love it!

All in all, I'm into this car for just a hair over $30K with the new parts and paint.

Long story short, the VIPER is just going through the last of the recertification to get it on the road and registered. I've driven it around (mechanics to paint shop, home, etc) under temporary tags, and it is an absolute blast. This is my first bona fide supercar, and I am not disappointed.

Anyhow, enough rambling... onto the pics:

I still need to find out why the heater isn't working (advice is appreciated) and replace a rattling passenger-side door speaker, but other than that, she's 100%.

Fortunately for me, Victoria BC winters are pretty mild, just rainy and dull, so there exists plenty of opportunities for driving this winter until the summer weather returns.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good pick up...$30K total, I would love to find one like that in the future. With a salvaged title you can drive it like hell and probably get your money back!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks very good! I think your wife did a great job picking the color. :2tu:

Not a bad purchase at all for $31K. Even with an "R" title it is easily worth more.

Enjoy!

Ed

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont mind saying, what did you pay for the car BEFORE all the repair work? I would paint the radio bezel piece. That white stands out WAY too much and doesnt look like it belongs in the car at all. I'm wanting to find a salvage GTS, so I can drive the heck out of it, paint it any color I want, TT it, etc :)

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

The bezel is actually silver, and looks much better in person. Maybe I'll yank it and paint it dark gray. If I can find a color match for Dodge Sunburst Orange, I may go that route as well.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAN you did great! Good color choice by your wife there. I saw a hardtop listed in your parts - - did that get painted and done too? Would love to see underhood too if you get a chance, just to see the neatness under there, but regardless you SCORED big time on the car, the price, the paintwork... all. ENJOY!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your wife deserves a round of applause! i have seen quite a few vipers that have been repainted non-factory colors, and IMO some work, and most dont. the color your wife chose is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely unique and you got it done for the right price. Congratulations.

You must not have driven it enough to realize a heater is unnecessary once the engine heats up. Nice even radiant heat.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange the AC condensor had to be replaced. Damage looked like it was contained to the frontal area. Nice color combination. Enjoy the miles in the car. Wishing you lots of trouble free miles in the car.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude where are you located? If your on the east coast somewhere I'd love to do a photoshoot with your car someday cause that thing is just awesome!

--RS

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nabbed the emblems off of ebay on a second chance offer. $40 each with shipping. They're not the cheesy plastic ones, either. They're solid chromed metal with a black background.

Black stripes should be coming this week. Vinyl guy is coming over tomorrow to get a good look at the car and shoot ideas around.

Hardtop was painted too. I don't know who the manufacturer is, but its not a stock hardtop. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow (they're on my work computer).

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm glad my hard work is finally paying off. My VCA membership will be coming tomorrow as well.!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur that the color works well. A stopsign is a relatively minor accident. People are spending big money on rotisserie restorations of high volume old school muscle cars. Years from now, they will do the same with the low production Vipers needing restoration. In the meantine, Enjoy your new ride. :2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And whats wrong with yellow??!!!!!!!!! And to think after all the nice comments i have made about your car LOL!!!!!!!!!

Cool colour and good to see the car back on the road.....