Saw a viper today :) Gen3 or Gen4...

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm very close to finally pull the trigger on getting a Viper. I have loved them since I was a kid, although it has been less than three years since I started seriously considering getting one, before then it just looked like an impossible dream. Now I'm just waiting to complete the money I've been saving specifically to buy the car, which should happen next month or the one after that. Lots of times during this period of time I've gotten the corvette bug, because they are cheaper and still good performance for the money and yara yara yara... But today I saw a viper on the street and that was enough to get me back in line and say I'll wait until I have the money and find the right viper for me. I've only seen 2 viper in the road in the last three years so forgive my excitement...:drive:

Now though I'm deciding whether I will get a gen3 as soon as I find one I like or if I will save more and wait until I can afford a gen4 which could happen in the next 6 to 10 months. I know the basic differences about the bigger engine displacement, the additional horse power, the improved gearing and transmission, higher top speed, more refined etc. But I've also heard that gen3s have higher low rpm torque which sounds both more exiting and dangerous. I would like to hear some opinions from viper owners. So bring it on guys give me some arguments pros/cons of both generations :eater:. If I go with a gen4 it would have to be a 2008 so I will still get the slower 5th gear that seems to be improved on 2010s. If it's a gen3 it would most likely be a 2004 or 2003. Are there differences between 2003, 2004, 2005 model years or are they all the same?

BTW the viper I saw today in Lake WA St. in Kirkland, WA was a black gen3 coupe with stripes that were almost as dark as the car like ghost painted. I'm assuming it was an 06 given it was a coupe. I'm wondering if it belongs to a member. It look very close to this one:
You must be registered for see images

If the owner reads this feel free to step in and say "it was my car..."

Also since I'm somewhat close to start looking for my viper I want to ask if someone near the area would give me a ride in his srt10. That would be awesome.:2tu:

Tony

Last edited:

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Check out the Washington club site. There are quite a few members up that direction. We were just up there in the Tacoma area for the zone rendezvous. There are lots of us that would have been happy to take you for a ride!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from a couple lightly modded gen 3's to a stock gen 4(mods already sitting in the garage for this one) I will say the torque difference is not that much. Suposedly the gen 4 lacks torque down low but in fourth gear at 30-40 mph with rpms around 1500-1900 you can press the gas down half way and the gen 4 pulls just as hard as my gen 3's did. One little thing about the gen 4 I really like is the hatch popping button on the rear hatch its so nice not to have to use the keyless remote to pop the hatch any more. Plus the gen 4 offered the special order blue/black interior.

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black w/graphite stripes has been spotted around here before, but as far as I know, he/she is not in the VCA. Definitely wasn't one of the 13 Vipers that were in my driveway on Saturday! :2tu:

Our next local event is on 8/10 - dinner at Angelo's in Bellevue. My schedule is kinda busy lately, but I could probably arrange a ride for you. :drive:

WAVCA event schedule; http://www.wavca.org/events/2011events.html

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The black w/graphite stripes has been spotted around here before, but as far as I know, he/she is not in the VCA. Definitely wasn't one of the 13 Vipers that were in my driveway on Saturday! :2tu:

Our next local event is on 8/10 - dinner at Angelo's in Bellevue. My schedule is kinda busy lately, but I could probably arrange a ride for you. :drive:

WAVCA event schedule; http://www.wavca.org/events/2011events.html

That would be awesome I'll PM you.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Option 1: GEN III: The #1 choice if you Plan to MOD your Viper or short on $$. GEN IV Vipers do not have the option of forced induction without serious CPU modding.

Option 2: GEN IV: The #1 choice if you plan to stay near stock. In that case get the newest Viper you can afford. If money was no option I'd be all over an ACR.

Option 3: If you like the look of the Gen IV, but only can afford a GEN III. Buy the Gen III and add the GEN IV hood and wheels. If you want the GEN IV power.. .add a Turbo or Supercharger to the GEN III. With the money left over you can upgrade whatever else your heart desires. Almost 40-50k difference in GEN III and a new GEN IV. Thats A LOT of mod money.

Good news is... no matter which Viper you choose. It will still look great and you'll be happy.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Option 1: GEN III: The #1 choice if you Plan to MOD your Viper or short on $$. GEN IV Vipers do not have the option of forced induction without serious CPU modding.

Option 2: GEN IV: The #1 choice if you plan to stay near stock. In that case get the newest Viper you can afford. If money was no option I'd be all over an ACR.

Option 3: If you like the look of the Gen IV, but only can afford a GEN III. Buy the Gen III and add the GEN IV hood and wheels. If you want the GEN IV power.. .add a Turbo or Supercharger to the GEN III. With the money left over you can upgrade whatever else your heart desires. Almost 40-50k difference in GEN III and a new GEN IV. Thats A LOT of mod money.

Good news is... no matter which Viper you choose. It will still look great and you'll be happy.

All good points. I'll most likely leave the car stock may be just add a corsa exhaust and that is about it. So I guess a gen IV would be the right choice if I don't get desperate while saving the extra money. I guess that it will all depend on what opportunity presents at the right time. If I come across a well priced gen3 of my color choice, I will most likely go that route, if not I will keep saving until I can afford the gen4 of my color choice. For this kind of car I would be willing to travel anywhere in the states and ship it here, but I'm sure that will add a good 3000-5000 to the price so if I find a well priced srt10 locally that could change things. We'll see what happens.

The other day I was looking at a gen3 I liked and a gen4 and the price difference turned out to be below $9000 (really overpriced gen3 but the only one on my color choice) if that is the scenario when I have the money I think I'll go with a gen4, unless someone gives a very good reason why a gen3 would be better like I've heard about the driving by wire vs driving by cable and higher low rpm torque issues, but from what I have read it seems everyone agrees the gen4 is an all around better package stock. If I find a gen3 below 42,000 I'll most likely go with a gen3 to save some money I can always trade down the road for a gen4 or maybe even a gen5 if it comes out great.

For people that are curios...
gen3 (Yellow or Viper Red) I don't know why but yellow ones are priced very close to 2008s. I might go with viper red because it's much easier to find and cheaper but I need to see one in person and see if it blows me away as the yellow one I saw.
gen4 (Venom Red) Love this color...

I love the idea of the ACR but I really want to have the option to go ******* so I'll definitely be looking for a convertible. Soon the quest will begin.:drive: