Saw the Firepower Last Sunday...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in San Francisco, and was at the Fairmont Hotel for the kickoff of the California Mille... mostly old cars of Euro descent (Including a $1.5mil Bugatti - Wish I took pics). My friend was in the race, and I was even invited to fill in for a late dropout, but I still work for a living and can't unexpectantly take 4 days off puttering around in an early 50's Jaguar.

The event was sponsored by Chrysler, so the youngest tins there were the 300, magnum, srt6, and Firepower. The Firepower is beautiful and badass at the same time. They should glue the rear onto the new srt coupe and call it a day. The oddest thing was what was under the hood. The v8+hemi looks absolutely tiny in the compartment made for the huge Viper v10. You can literally close the hood with two 5yr olds in it. I'm sure it'll still kick butt, but all I kept thinking was that they can fit more in there.

Nobody seems to like the name, but I think I'll get one when it comes out. Debating between the Firepower and the GR1- which said friend saw at Pebble Beach and said it was georgous. The srt coupe needs to bulk up a little before I give it serious consideration.

Oh, and since this is the gts forum... When I drove by in the GTS, I got more attention than all of the old rustbuckets parked there. :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fang, my old friend, I read about that car in the Angolan Automotive Journal. Very nice. (Private joke with Fang and me) But even given my worldwide automotive reading habits....could you clarify what "young tin" is? I am familiar with a gentleman named Carrot who attends automotive events, is this his most recent way to refer to the young ladies in attendance? Oh, you must mean the newest iron? ......Don't worry about the Firepower name, they are not going to use it for some vague legal reasons. I read that in the Austrailan Automotive press. And I like the car too, I would buy one as a daily driver.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fang, my old friend, I read about that car in the Angolan Automotive Journal. Very nice. (Private joke with Fang and me) But even given my worldwide automotive reading habits....could you clarify what "young tin" is? I am familiar with a gentleman named Carrot who attends automotive events, is this his most recent way to refer to the young ladies in attendance? Oh, you must mean the newest iron? ......Don't worry about the Firepower name, they are not going to use it for some vague legal reasons. I read that in the Austrailan Automotive press. And I like the car too, I would buy one as a daily driver.

Lee: I found the article you contributed to Samoan Snowmobiles in it's native language last month very informative. Who knew you could also communicate via hula in the additional photo insert? You never cease to amaze me. Although next time, don't wear the grass skirt... you don't have the legs for it. :p

Young tins... all the cars there were pre-60's. Some of them looked like old tin cans on it's side with wheels. The new Chryslers obviously didn't look that way, but I just found it fun name to use. My only concern is the interior of the Firepower... it's TOO pristine. The steering wheel looks WHITE. I'll need handwipes before driving.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can literally close the hood with two 5yr olds in it. I'm sure it'll still kick butt, but all I kept thinking was that they can fit more in there.

It's called TT space

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No - it's supposed to be a sister car and provide enough sales on the Viper's platform to make it profitable, thus allowing the platform itself to continue. DCX has removed the halo status from the Viper and declared that all Mopar platforms must stand on their own profitability. This means that the Viper would probably be axed because (AFAIK) it does not make money as a platform, despite the benefits reaped by DCX via the Viper's image.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No - it's supposed to be a sister car and provide enough sales on the Viper's platform to make it profitable, thus allowing the platform itself to continue. DCX has removed the halo status from the Viper and declared that all Mopar platforms must stand on their own profitability. This means that the Viper would probably be axed because (AFAIK) it does not make money as a platform, despite the benefits reaped by DCX via the Viper's image.

The only Halo status car dc wants would need a Benz logo on it. :rolleyes:

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's being touted as a corvette fighter, definetely not a Viper replacement

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have gotten tons of requests for info on the car, and DC has already stated the name would have to change, as it is used somewhere else. Building this beauty alongside the Viper makes a ton of sense, as it further develops the SRT image, as well as giving an additional platform for the Viper frame,etc. With the loss of the Prowler, DC has thought how to further utilize the Conner Ave. Assembly Plant, and this would make good use of the former Prowler line. With price guesstimates in the 40-55K range, this could be a wonderful little sister to reside next to her more powerful sibling in any Viper garage.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have gotten tons of requests for info on the car, and DC has already stated the name would have to change, as it is used somewhere else. Building this beauty alongside the Viper makes a ton of sense, as it further develops the SRT image, as well as giving an additional platform for the Viper frame,etc. With the loss of the Prowler, DC has thought how to further utilize the Conner Ave. Assembly Plant, and this would make good use of the former Prowler line. With price guesstimates in the 40-55K range, this could be a wonderful little sister to reside next to her more powerful sibling in any Viper garage.

As aggressive as the name Fierpower is... it doesn't quite fit the car. So, I'm eagerly awaiting it's new name and the announcement of it's release date, if ever. Only a viper owner would see a car like that as a daily driver. :laugh:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kinda wondered if they might revive the Chrysler/Mitsubishi name and call it a Chrysler Conquest --- it would definitely take away alot of other sales if it hits in the 40-55K range.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda wondered if they might revive the Chrysler/Mitsubishi name and call it a Chrysler Conquest --- it would definitely take away alot of other sales if it hits in the 40-55K range.

Conquest!? :gag: I think something like Quicksilver or Sidewinder would be more fitting. Besides, there's no mitsubishi in that car... as far as I know. But if it isn't silver, could it still be called Quicksilver? Reminds me of Chevy's Cobalt... in red.