SCCA Solo II Autocross

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their Viper to an Autocross? Any advice on tire presures?

I am going to my first one this Sunday. It looks like the Stock Viper is in "Super Stock" with the 911's and Z06's.

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been autocrossing my Viper for 2 years now. I use 34psi in the front and 32psi in the rear with the stock Michelins. Have a great time!

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the Viper for Autocrossing? It seems the Z06 is the top car for that?

S

SUN RA KAT

I've done it twice this year. Kept it in 2nd gear for the entire run, but could only go 1/3 throttle before wheelspin became excessive - stock Michelin Pilots at 29 psi all around and Roe S/C. Had a great time and got first place trophy for my class (it helped that I was also the only one in my class :D ).

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run mine with the Gulf Coast SCCA in Pensacola when I can. 29-30 seems to work best...don't overinflate it'll feel like you're on skates...spin city.

Couple of tips: After the run, do not set the parking brake...crack the hood if time permits between runs and check tire temp between runs...edge, center, far edge...even temps will give you a good pressure setting for that day/conditions.

Have fun.

Paul :usa:

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran my 98 is SS with Kumho's. I used 30 all the way around and then adjusted if I was getting to much push or oversteer. I had a blast doing it!!!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AX is much fun. I run mine at the stock pressure with the stock tires. Be gentle/smooth with the go pedal and avoid being a cone killer :)

5397Oct9-04-BMW-AXa.jpg

5397CTL3398.jpg
5397CTL3399.jpg

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn to steer with the rear, and watch how you brake. Without ABS the fronts will lock easily. That said, the Viper is a great AX car and if anything, the ZO6s are lighter, but not better.

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the recommended technique. Power slide around the cones. Or try to make it without sliding at all?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth is fast for sure in AX. I tend to do slow-in and fast-out as well, thus braking later and harder. I am no pro and sliding (throttle induced oversteer) seems more useful in very tight corners than larger sweeping turns. It all depends on the course layout.