scissor lift recommendation

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a scissor lift for my garage. Before those recommendations come in, I don't feel I have the space for a 4post, 2post or 1post setup. I do want a compact unit I can move around if need be, park over (low clearance) so not seen and have good height variability up to 4ft. Primarily want for fluid changes and brake and wheel changes.

In researching, I see atlas, benpak, etc listed all in the 6k lbs range. So, wondering what folks have experience with, what to look for and what to avoid. Pictures and recommendations welcome.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I bought one from Snap-On 12 years ago...great for wheels, brakes...BUT, it is not recommended that you work UNDER this type of lift. In my case (before I added a 4 post lift), I would raise the car to the top, then set it down on to jack stands..then lower lift to ground. I have installed catback exhausts, changed fliuds , etc. safely with a little extra effort. ALL of our Gen I and II Vipers tried to drag the tranny shield until I added full length boards along the side of the lift...essentially raising car up 3/4" as I drive cars over lift...where I always park one...including Gen III and Gen IV (2010 ACR).

You might consider a twin scissor lift that fits under sidesills...like those from Nussbaum.

TXBADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look for MAXJAK. it is a 2 post fixed/portable lift with about 52" max height. has worked great and perfect for 10' ceilings.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no connection with a lift company....

I bought one from Greg Smith. I got the TD6MR (I think) a few years ago and have used it alot. A huge help with detailing. (I also have a 4 post)

I apologize upfront if a link isn't allowed....but mine is similar to this. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-TD6MR-Portable-Scissor-Lift

I park my daily driver over it every day. I did have to put a couple 2x10s (or 12s) along either side of the lift for the Vipers to clear. I still need to remove the rubber pads, which slide off easily. I plan
to get 4 hockey pucks to use at the Viper's jacking points as opposed to the pads supplied. That being said, I use short blocks of wood for other vehicles.

I do plan to make a better type of "ramp" for either side to get just a bit more height and width.

Not a great pic...but kind-of shows it in use.

Finally, (except for the 4 post bay) I have 9' ceilings. This lift goes up about 50" so the Lincoln gets really close to the ceiling at full height. When I installed my garage door openers, I got one that could pull from the side so I have full clearance in this middle bay.

You must be registered for see images attach
>

OP
OP

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no connection with a lift company....

I bought one from Greg Smith. I got the TD6MR (I think) a few years ago and have used it alot. A huge help with detailing. (I also have a 4 post)

I apologize upfront if a link isn't allowed....but mine is similar to this. http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-TD6MR-Portable-Scissor-Lift

I park my daily driver over it every day. I did have to put a couple 2x10s (or 12s) along either side of the lift for the Vipers to clear. I still need to remove the rubber pads, which slide off easily. I plan
to get 4 hockey pucks to use at the Viper's jacking points as opposed to the pads supplied. That being said, I use short blocks of wood for other vehicles.

I do plan to make a better type of "ramp" for either side to get just a bit more height and width.

Not a great pic...but kind-of shows it in use.

Finally, (except for the 4 post bay) I have 9' ceilings. This lift goes up about 50" so the Lincoln gets really close to the ceiling at full height. When I installed my garage door openers, I got one that could pull from the side so I have full clearance in this middle bay.

You must be registered for see images attach
>

Thx, the TD6MR is one of the models I was looking at. any complaints or thing you wish it had different?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No complaints at all. It is portable, the power unit has wheels and a pin that hooks into one end of the lift, and it can be rolled around. It's heavy, but certainly can be moved.

A friend of mine has a body shop and we both went to Greg Smith in Delaware with my car trailer to bring two of these back. They too are well pleased with theirs.

The only thing I would do different is build more substantial ramps than the simply boards I'm using. I'm going to do that soon as I have an idea I want to try.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten